Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
I love my retina MacBook Pro to death. But I just love using my iPad Air a million times more. And I always have it with me. Would an iPad plus keyboard be a good combination for programming? Anybody else do it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you compile on the iPad or would you have to move it over to the MBP?

I'd say it possible to write code on the iPad, but I think that task is better suited to the MBP.

To put it another way, just because you can, doesn't mean you should

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
if you have wifi you can ssh with a terminal and use vi. works just like a MBP. also check out textastic

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I love my retina MacBook Pro to death. But I just love using my iPad Air a million times more. And I always have it with me. Would an iPad plus keyboard be a good combination for programming? Anybody else do it?

if you have wifi you can ssh with a terminal and use vi. works just like a MBP. also check out textastic

I second textastic.

For navigating the text, if you are fine using the touchscreen instead of a trackpad, or use keyboard shortcuts, an iPad and keyboard case would work. If you like to use a trackpad, something like a Macbook Air would be the best option.

I tried an iPad and keyboard, and I ended up moving my hand up to the touchscreen and back to the keyboard constantly. I find it much easier to have the user input in one spot, like a keyboard and trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.