Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 12, 2014, 05:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly Integrating NFC Technology into iPhone 6

Apple is gearing up to incorporate Near Field Communication (NFC) technology in the iPhone 6, according to a report from BrightWire citing sources familiar with the matter. The report also notes that Apple has struck a deal with China UnionPay to integrate the banking company's services into Passbook and elsewhere.

Quote:
Apple is likely to incorporate a Near Field Communication (NFC) payment function in the next generation iPhone and has reached an agreement with China UnionPay on a mobile payment service, according to a source close to the matter.

...In addition to NFC payment, the two companies will also work together on another mobile payment solution that can be used for purchases in Apple Stores, added the source.
Integrating NFC into the iPhone 6 would be a bit of a surprise move by Apple, as the company's head of marketing Phil Schiller stated in 2012 that the technology was "not the solution to any current problem." Notably, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted last month that Apple would integrate NFC chips into the next-generation iPhone alongside a host of other features.

The news also comes as Apple is pursuing plans to develop a mobile payment solution, which will be possibly tied to the Touch ID fingerprint sensor currently found in the iPhone 5s and reportedly headed for the iPhone 6 and next-generation iPads. It is also possible that Apple combines its existing Touch ID fingerprint scanner and NFC technology into the home button, as the company filed for a patent detailing such a system last September.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 in two sizes of 4.7-inches and 5.5-inches later this year, with the smaller version of the phone launching ahead of the larger model. Aside from a larger display, the iPhone 6 will likely feature a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, and an improved camera in the form of image stabilization. Apple is also said to be negotating with carriers for a $100 price increase on the iPhone 6.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Integrating NFC Technology into iPhone 6
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:04 AM   #2
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

If true, that was unexpected, this time around anyway.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:04 AM   #3
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

It really is about time they did this, for competitiveness' sake if for no other reason.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:05 AM   #4
Futurix
macrumors regular

Gosh, it's like 2013 predictions all over again... or 2012... or 2011... or 2010...
Futurix is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:05 AM   #5
DonRivella
macrumors member

So NFC is not another bag of hurt after all?
DonRivella is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:06 AM   #6
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

No they are not.

Give it up already!
JaySoul is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Now that Apple's in the phablet game I guess that have more options internally to cram in features.
Macist is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:09 AM   #8
lk400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince1990 View Post
It really is about time they did this, for competitiveness' sake if for no other reason.
If they dont believe in the technology, then thats a terrible reason to advocate including a feature.

We dont think this technology is very good, but some other companies are doing it so - here it is.
lk400 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:10 AM   #9
AppleInTheMud
macrumors 6502

Really hope iPhone 6 will bring something new. My iPhone 5S really looks old now a days compared to others Nokia 1520 or the HTC One M8
AppleInTheMud is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:11 AM   #10
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a

NFC seems like an idea waiting for a purpose. i'm sure bank cards now come with stickers that you can use with contact less payment if you stick em to your phone.

Apple store already has a payment system you can scan items and pay for them and leave without needing to be near anything at all you do it all in the app store.

I can understand doing the finger print as verification but whether it that or a pin code you really don't need to add in NFC to the equation or even a POS station.

Am I missing something here or what?
alexgowers is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:11 AM   #11
attila
macrumors 6502

So Apple won't try to push iBeacons and Bluetooth 4 and just give in to competition?

Colour me sceptical.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:18 AM   #12
squan
macrumors member

Here in Belgium people mocked my iPhone for not having NFC, then when I asked if they had ever used it on their masterrace phone, they went like: "... No, but it's coming soon, so..."

To this day, I have never encountered something that supports NFC. And neither have they.

Is it the same in the States or elsewhere? Is it slowly becoming more popular? Because then it would make sense to incorporate it, as the time is (finally) ripe.

I hate putting in technology for the sake of putting in technology.
squan is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:18 AM   #13
Dreamer2go
macrumors 6502a

Didn't they say this in 2013, 2012 or even possibly longer before?

I had a Galaxy S4 before as my backup phone, and I never used NFC once.
Don't really feel like I'm missing out anything.

I believe in iBeacon though
Old May 12, 2014, 05:20 AM   #14
Sandstorm
macrumors 6502

One of the reasons slowing the successful and widespread use of NFC was the lack of it on the iPhone. I hope Apple finally adds NFC (it's great!), but I'm also a bit pissed off it will happen so late.

Personally I'm saddened that more and more Apple is now catching up, late, slow, neglecting (Mac Pro, now Mac Mini, Apple TV (outdated UI, no App Store)). Apple also overslept the streaming music revolution (think Spotify). I don't buy this BS about "getting it right". If Google can figure out NFC, Apple can too. And Apple also can put a current-gen processor in a Mac Mini and not neglect it for 2 years, even if they are working (I'm guessing) on a completely new thinner version (OMG, thinner, can you believe it).

Sorry for the rant, but I seriously start to lose my admiration for Apple.

PS - my brand new iPhone 5s hangs up and restarts at least once or twice a day. WTF!

Last edited by Sandstorm; May 12, 2014 at 05:37 AM.
Sandstorm is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:20 AM   #15
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInTheMud View Post
Really hope iPhone 6 will bring something new. My iPhone 5S really looks old now a days compared to others Nokia 1520 or the HTC One M8
You should see a therapist, if that's where you place your value as a human being.
juanm is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:22 AM   #16
laudern
macrumors 6502

I thought apple was doing mobile payment with bluetooth.
laudern is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:25 AM   #17
Sandstorm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by squan View Post
Here in Belgium people mocked my iPhone for not having NFC, then when I asked if they had ever used it on their masterrace phone, they went like: "... No, but it's coming soon, so..."

To this day, I have never encountered something that supports NFC. And neither have they.

Is it the same in the States or elsewhere? Is it slowly becoming more popular? Because then it would make sense to incorporate it, as the time is (finally) ripe.

I hate putting in technology for the sake of putting in technology.
But how can a technology like NFC become widespread, if one of the leading platforms (iPhone) is not using it? This is not technology for the sake of technology. This is the old chicken and egg problem.

And to everyone screaming how stupid and worthless NFC is - let's see your comments after Apple adds NFC. Surely then you'll sing a different tune. Probably something along the lines of "finally doing it right" and so on. I'm getting sick of this *****.
Sandstorm is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:31 AM   #18
Pagemakers
macrumors 6502a

At last!
Pagemakers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:32 AM   #19
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

If NFC in a new iPhone is what it takes to make most of my wallet obsolete, fine by me. I've found an app that allow me to get rid of some of my store loyalty cards, and the Starbucks app keeps me from needing that card. But if you have three or four credit cards plus a debit card, a driver's license and a student ID, that's a lot of crap to carry. I'd love to buy one of those iPhone cases that would allow carrying a few bills and maybe a couple of cards. The software and businesses will have to develop this to be a true wallet replacement.

Then figure out how to use iPhones to start cars and I really won't need anything but an iPhone!
Old May 12, 2014, 05:33 AM   #20
maflynn

They seem a little late to the party, I thought this would be a natural fit for apple to add into an iPhone.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:33 AM   #21
marcelvelky
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to marcelvelky
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgowers View Post
NFC seems like an idea waiting for a purpose. i'm sure bank cards now come with stickers that you can use with contact less payment if you stick em to your phone.

Apple store already has a payment system you can scan items and pay for them and leave without needing to be near anything at all you do it all in the app store.

I can understand doing the finger print as verification but whether it that or a pin code you really don't need to add in NFC to the equation or even a POS station.

Am I missing something here or what?
--
- i am doing it already with my card, so why not put this into phone already?so, yes.. in apple logic this is the next move, if this is true.
marcelvelky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:34 AM   #22
captain cadet
macrumors regular

I thought iPhones were meant to be leading the way - my HTC had that in 2012!
Old May 12, 2014, 05:36 AM   #23
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

I heard the iPhone 6 will also get Blu-ray support via an external Superdrive
Old May 12, 2014, 05:42 AM   #24
MellowFuzz
macrumors regular

This would be bad. All those i5/5S users screwed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
One of the reasons slowing the successful and widespread use of NFC was the lack of it on the iPhone. I hope Apple finally adds NFC (it's great!), but I'm also a bit pissed off it will happen so late.

Personally I'm saddened that more and more Apple is now catching up, late, slow, neglecting (Mac Pro, now Mac Mini, Apple TV (outdated UI, no App Store)). Apple also overslept the streaming music revolution (think Spotify). I don't buy this BS about "getting it right". If Google can figure out NFC, Apple can too. And Apple also can put a current-gen processor in a Mac Mini and not neglect it for 2 years, even if they are working (I'm guessing) on a completely new thinner version (OMG, thinner, can you believe it).

Sorry for the rant, but I seriously start to lose my admiration for Apple.

PS - my brand new iPhone 5s hangs up and restarts at least once or twice a day. WTF!
Exactly. Pay attention Apple employees who read MacRumors - this is a growing sentiment.
MellowFuzz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 05:43 AM   #25
nerdAFK
macrumors regular

Would not expect Apple to add this.
At least the NFC on my One M7 has never been turned on.

nerdAFK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion