Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has improved its return policy, offering faster refunds for customers who purchase items online, reports Reuters. Apple was able to shorten the refund processing time from 10 days to less than a week by using an expedited shipping method to send devices back to the company for return.

apple-online-store.jpg
According to retail-intelligence firm StellaService, Apple switched to FedEx 2Day service last November during the holiday shopping season and has continued to use the service, despite the greater upfront cost associated with the faster shipping method. Customers will not incur any additional costs for Apple's decision to use FedEx, notes a source "with knowledge of the new procedure."
StellaService researchers first noted the improvement in refund processing times in November, but chalked it up to a temporary measure for the busy holiday season. The company, which orders items from Apple's website several times a day for research purposes, also discovered that packages were stamped with FedEx 2Day, rather than a Newgistics prepaid label.
Apple is going against the grain by investing in the returns process, an area that companies often trim because it does not help their bottom line. CEO Tim Cook has repeatedly said Apple does not have a profits-first policy, but instead prides itself on delivering a quality experience to its customers.

This focus on the overall experience benefits Apple's brand reputation among consumers as the company routinely leads its competitors in customer satisfaction. Apple recently reclaimed its spot as the highest ranked tablet manufacturer in J.D. Power's latest U.S. tablet customer satisfaction study, earning a 5-star rating and edging out rival Samsung.

Article Link: Apple Reduces Refund Times in Effort to Boost Online Sales and Customer Satisfaction

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never had issues with getting a refund but I suppose this is a good move in general.

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
I've never needed a refund (although I have had a phone replaced in-store without any fuss) but I'm glad to hear that Apple's commitment to excelling in their customer service is as undimmed as usual.

Other brands should take note (specifically Amazon, which made me jump through so many hoops to try and sort out a recent problem I gave up in the end).

keterboy

Jan 22, 2014
Earth's Core
Speaking of refund: sometimes I purchase apps because of literally amazing reviews and pictures and then i end up hating it and regretting throwing a couple bucks out of the window. I wish there was a way to get a refund for any app you buy within 2min after download.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Speaking of refund: sometimes I purchase apps because of literally amazing reviews and pictures and then i end up hating it and regretting throwing a couple bucks out of the window. I wish there was a way to get a refund for any app you buy within 2min after download.

This is why I believe all apps should be free to download. You are given a select amount of time to demo ranging from 5 min to 24 hours. You then pay to unlock it.

I have gotten a few refunds. Just state a valid reason for your case and 9 out of 10 you get a refund.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
2nd Day Air uses more resources, which runs counter to their "we care about the environment" message.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I've never needed a refund (although I have had a phone replaced in-store without any fuss) but I'm glad to hear that Apple's commitment to excelling in their customer service is as undimmed as usual.

Other brands should take note (specifically Amazon, which made me jump through so many hoops to try and sort out a recent problem I gave up in the end).

Amazon are a pain when it comes to returning with external sellers. I always try to go else where.

Last edited:

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Amazon are a pain when it comes to returning. I always try to go else where.

Well than I must be doing something wrong with Amazon returns. I log into my account, go to recent purchases, select return, select item, choose a reason, print the free return label, slap it on the item, place it outside my door. Generally get an email in less than a day that my refund has been issued.

I don't talk to anyone. I don't see anyone. I don't drive anywhere. I can't imagine an easier return process.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Seriously? I've returned a few items and it's always been incredibly simple. They create a shipping label that I print, and as often as not I see the credit issued as soon as tracking shows I sent the return - before they even receive it!

Caveat, I tend to only buy items that are Amazon Prime which means sold or fulfilled by Amazon directly. If you're buying stuff shipped by the 3rd party seller directly, it's basically like eBay or Craigslist, you never know what you'll get.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Surprised because Amazon (that is products sold BY Amazon, not sold ON Amazon; i.e., 3rd P reseller) has always be the epitome of customer service for me.

Refunds: log in, check off the product being returned, state reason, print out prepaid UPS label, drop off at a UPS Store. If the return is due to Amazon's fault or its clothes it ships back free. Refund come anywhere between instantly and 3 days.

Item not rec'd when expected (lost): Amazon ships out another one via next day air.

Now for items sold by 3rd parties on Amazon, yes, avoid those at all cost. They are not part of Amazon and Amazon can't do much for you until X amont of days pass.

Geminist

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
Well than I must be doing something wrong with Amazon returns. I log into my account, go to recent purchases, select return, select item, choose a reason, print the free return label, slap it on the item, place it outside my door. Generally get an email in less than a day that my refund has been issued.

I don't talk to anyone. I don't see anyone. I don't drive anywhere. I can't imagine an easier return process.

People are often confused between items sold by Amazon or items sold by 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I've never had a single issue with Amazon's CS. Apple is just as good as Amazon when it comes to customer service.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
now if only they would replace frayed cables without quibble.

I find the cables to be total ***** and the worst part of apple products. I wish they would switch to braided or fabric sheathing or a more robust plastic.

You shouldn't have to even think about crap cables for such a big player like this.

Apple please fix it next time round.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Never had a problem with Amazon personally, my coffee machine broke down last monday so I contacted amazon live chat and a courier picked it up next day got a refund the day after! Also My Apple keyboard stopped working today not a clue why Amazon sending me another tomorrow and just got to pop the broken on in the post with free returns.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Anyone who returns an Apple product is a disloyal customer and Apple should not make any effort to satisfy them.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Amazon always initiated my refunds as soon as I drop off the package at a UPS location (well, as soon as it's scanned by the pickup person).

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Seriously? I've returned a few items and it's always been incredibly simple. They create a shipping label that I print, and as often as not I see the credit issued as soon as tracking shows I sent the return - before they even receive it!

Caveat, I tend to only buy items that are Amazon Prime which means sold or fulfilled by Amazon directly. If you're buying stuff shipped by the 3rd party seller directly, it's basically like eBay or Craigslist, you never know what you'll get.

That's not entirely true. While dealing with Amazon is akin to dealing with Apple in returns, Amazon sellers are under strict rules. I have sold all my Apple goods including a plethora of other goods and Amazon definitely gets involved to provide a good experience to the buyer.

The seller also has slightly more protection and lower fees than ebay (not to mention paypal fees) which is why I only sell on Amazon.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Another great way to keep customers satisfied I'm sure. Not too long ago my t-shaped charger for my old white macbook just stopped working; nothing appeared to be wrong with it (I make an effort to keep my stuff from getting damaged...I even saved the little plastic cover for the tip to use when on-the-go). So after making an appt. earlier in the morning, I went to the Apple store to double check if it was in fact my charger that wasn't working. After a Genius confirmed what I already knew, he simply handed me a new one and told me I was all set. When I asked him how much (knowing that it was $80) he responded, "dude, I'm not gonna make you pay for a charger man...).

Needless to say I was happy I saved $80. I felt like I got lucky because I can't imagine the other employees doing the same thing. In the end, luck or not, it's experiences like this that makes me a loyal Apple customer.

MLMcMillion

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Arkansas, USA

Agreed. In the times I've dealt with returns or issues with Apple, I usually get the runaround from a Genius. I've returned tons of stuff to Amazon with zero issue.

uninake

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2014
app refund

You know you can easily get app refunds, no fuss. I did this recently after downloading an app that i couldn't get to work on my 4s. I select the app, select the reason and click refund. The refund came through automatically. Don't know if that is standard procedure or if it was because there were a number of people giving the same reason.

something like this...
http://www.imore.com/how-request-refund-itunes-or-app-store-purchase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.