Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter.jpg
Twitter is adding a new "mute" feature to its iOS app and web experience, allowing users to control the content they see in their Twitter feeds by muting other Twitter users. When a user is muted, their Tweets and Retweets will no longer be visible.
In the same way you can turn on device notifications so you never miss a Tweet from your favorite users, you can now mute users you'd like to hear from less. Muting a user on Twitter means their Tweets and Retweets will no longer be visible in your home timeline, and you will no longer receive push or SMS notifications from that user. The muted user will still be able to fave, reply to, and retweet your Tweets; you just won't see any of that activity in your timeline.
Muting can be accomplished by visiting a user's profile page or tapping on "More" on a tweet and choosing the mute option. Muted users will not be notified that they are muted, and a mute can be removed any time. At this time, Twitter's mute function is somewhat more limited than third-party apps like Tweetbot, which also includes keyword and hashtag muting.

Twitter has also updated its app with several iPad improvements that were previously introduced to the iPhone app, including photo and video previews directly in the timeline, easier access to Direct Messages, and the ability to reply, retweet, favorite, or follow users directly from timeline Tweets.
This update includes minor improvements.

Changes to iPad include:

- Choose between "Top" and "All" Tweets in search results.
- Tweets with Twitter photos, Vine videos and other select content now show a preview in your home timeline
- You can reply, retweet, favorite or follow someone straight from a Tweet in your home timeline.
- Easier access to DMs
- Choose a filter for your photo.
- Refreshed look for navigation.
- Discover has been updated to show Tweets related to Trends.
Twitter can be downloaded from the App Store for free. The new mute feature will be rolling out to users starting today and all users will receive access over the course of the next few weeks. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter App Updated With Mute Button, New iPad Features

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
I think this feature would be better if it did notify the other user that you're muting them.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
When it comes to iOS devices, I much prefer TweetBot over any other Twitter client. But I DO use the official one on my MacBook because TweetBot for Mac seems to be quite clunky and RAM hungry.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Spongeworthy.

Why follow people you don't want to see Tweets from? :confused:

There's a cool twitter poster who tweets two or three times a day. High quality, helpful tweets about a topic you're interested in.

Then they start tweeting 20 times an hour about something you're not interested in - some football match in Wales, a TV show about zombies, or a political race in subdistrict 13 in a country you've never heard of.

Mute them. A few days later unmute them and see if they're still spongeworthy.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I think this feature would be better if it did notify the other user that you're muting them.

After muting them, send them a tweet telling them you have muted them :)

He.he.. don't bother yelling at me back because......

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
There's a cool twitter poster who tweets two or three times a day. High quality, helpful tweets about a topic you're interested in.

Then they start tweeting 20 times an hour about something you're not interested in - some football match in Wales, a TV show about zombies, or a political race in subdistrict 13 in a country you've never heard of.

I have such use cases as well. In fact, I need a snooze feature which is a mute for a specified amount of time like a few hours and if that conversation is not over, I can hit snooze one more time.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I have such use cases as well. In fact, I need a snooze feature which is a mute for a specified amount of time like a few hours and if that conversation is not over, I can hit snooze one more time.

This would be wonderful. Some of my students (college) and I follow each other. It would be great to mute them on "thirsty Thursday" so I don't see their party pics.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
No sync between Mac twitter app and iphone twitter app.... tweetbot still wins :)

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
This would be wonderful. Some of my students (college) and I follow each other. It would be great to mute them on "thirsty Thursday" so I don't see their party pics.

Tweetbot lets you chose how long to mute for, a day, a week, a month, or forever. Handy when a company you follow starts doing a contest and they're retweeting the best entries, or someone starts a Q&A you're not interested in, etc.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Mute eh? What is wrong with just unfollowing them? This sounds like a feature that next to nobody is going to use.

yoz-y

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
Why follow people you don't want to see Tweets from? :confused:

Because some people retweet other people a lot. For example Asymco retweets posts from his secondary accounts about Airshow that I do not care about. I have just muted those.

At least this it how it works in Twitterrific.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Well if you run a business and you follow your customers to interact with them or you're an artist or a "popular" person etc.. the mute button becomes very handy since unfollowing means the other person will unfollow you too.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Very true, valid points.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Tweetbot lets you chose how long to mute for, a day, a week, a month, or forever. Handy when a company you follow starts doing a contest and they're retweeting the best entries, or someone starts a Q&A you're not interested in, etc.

Awesome. I'll be checking that out. Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Instead of mute people we can simply no follow them also..I do not see logic behind it but may be there are some people out there who will find this feature usefull
If you read the thread you'll see some explanations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.