Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While there have been numerous renderings, cases, and physical mockups of the rumored 4.7-inch iPhone 6 in recent weeks, there has been considerably less attention paid to the even larger 5.5-inch model, which is said to be released several months after the 4.7-inch version.

New photos showing what appears to be simple cases for both the 5.5-inch and 4.7-inch iPhone 6 models, paired with physical mockups, have been shared by Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate]. The images show the larger 5.5-inch "iPhone Air" along with the 4.7-inch version, providing a scale comparison and approximate dimensions for both handsets.

iphone6-55-case.jpg
The larger case obtained by Nowhereelse.fr is identified as being for the "iPhone 6s" and reportedly measures 157 mm long, 81 mm wide and 7 mm thick. This model is slightly larger than the 4.7-inch model, which measures 138x67 mm and is 7.0 mm thick. The dimensions for both of these cases closely match design drawings published by MacFan earlier this year, which are the foundation for most recent renderings and mockups.

Both cases also show similar physical features, including a rear cutout for the camera and a cutout for the usual mute switch and volume buttons along the left side as well as a new cutout along the right side reportedly for a relocated power button.

iphone_6_cases_both.jpg
These photos follow many recent images of cases and physical iPhone 6 mockups, including one crude mockup showing the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6. High-quality physical mockups of 5.5-inch device have yet to be seen, but users with access to a 3D printer can print their own mockup using 3D files based on the MacFan schematics.

Both versions of the iPhone 6 are expected to include a thin profile similar to the iPod touch fifth generation, a faster A8 processor, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and an improved camera that may include either optical or electronic image stabilization. The 4.7-inch version may launch as soon as this fall, with the 5.5-inch version arriving several months later.

Article Link: Case for Larger 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Model Surfaces with Dimensions

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow that sucker is big :eek:

Its hard to judge what would be a good size for me, from the pictures.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Please MR make it stop already. Or create a sub-blog just for iPhone 6 mockups and 3rd party cases.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
That is absurdly large. I know they'll sell - people love to be able to respond: 'No, that's just a tablet in my pocket'. Still, unless you have a handbag or manbag to put this in, what are you honestly doing with a phone that large? Poor Apple is playing catchup in a market they shouldn't enter (like netbooks).

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I drew out the two sizes on paper, cut them, and held it and the largest one feels VERY awkward to me. I hope the features are the same. I don't want to have to buy a bigger phone because it has some cool new thing the smaller one doesn't.

And those cases are fugly.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Do people actually buy cases for phones that have not been released?!? I'm sure this happened with the iPhone 5...

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Would Apple most likely announce both of them with different release dates or just pretend the 5.5" does not exist until a few months later? I don't wanna sign a 2 year agreement on a 4.7" to break it a few months in..

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
This is exciting news, but the iPhone 4S speculations were all over the place with regards to cases, so I'll take this news with a grain of salt.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Would Apple most likely announce both of them with different release dates or just pretend the 5.5" does not exist until a few months later? I don't wanna sign a 2 year agreement on a 4.7" to break it a few months in..

I thinking the same thing, but i'm hoping that they will announce both at the same event and release the 4.7" a couple of weeks later and just say the 5.5" is available for pre-order and will be released later. Even that i don't mind because they will of at least announced them both at the same time/event.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm reaaaally hoping the iPhone 6 comes in that nice flesh tone too!

GbTONd8.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.