Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tim Cook's second CharityBuzz auction, for a one hour lunch meeting with Cook at Apple's Cupertino headquarters, ended today at $330,001. Bids for this year's auction were quite a bit more reserved than the coffee charity meeting Cook auctioned last year, which brought in $610,000.

timcookauction.jpg
The money earned from the auction will benefit the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights, a charity that aims to achieve "a just and peaceful world by partnering with human rights leaders, teaching social justice and advancing corporate responsibility."

The winner of the auction will be able to meet with Tim Cook for approximately one hour at Apple's Cupertino campus, on a "mutually agreed upon date." The cost of the meal is included, but travel to Cupertino must be paid by the auction winner.

On May 10, Tim Cook added an additional benefit for the auction winner -- a VIP guest spot at an upcoming Apple event, announced on Twitter.
Join me for lunch and advance human rights @rfkcenter.You can also be my VIP guest at an Apple event. https://t.co/02aONVPQM9 #RFKauction-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook) May 10, 2014
Following multiple shill bids last year, CharityBuzz implemented a credit card authorization requirement for all bidding customers, a policy that may explain why this year's auction was ultimately less popular with bidders.

(Thanks, Eric!)

Article Link: Tim Cook Charity Lunch Auction Ends, Earning $330,001 for RFK Center

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
cost of travel to be paid by winner... that's the only reason I didn't bid :eek: :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Not bad at all. At least its for a good reason. I'd like to be VIP guest at the iPhone 6 event, so I could get that hands-on before the masses.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
For $330.000, Tim will surely put a pair of Beats for the winner on top.

Last edited:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'd imagine a free meal paid for by Apple is nothing compared to the publicity a charity event like this gets. Then again, if its a charity event, I think either Apple should split the costs involved for the winner, or the winner pays all.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
cost of travel to be paid by the winner... that's the only reason I didn't bid :eek: :D:rolleyes:

When you've just handed over $330,000 without thinking twice, the cost of travel is probably penny change to you.

For that price, Apple should fly you out to Cupertino, provide you with an amazing meal, an hour's chat with Tim Cook, an iPhone, and iPad and your choice of a top end MacBook Pro or Mac Pro!!

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
For people who would have donated that amount of money anyway, it's certainly a nice bonus to be entitled to eat with some popular CEO. ;)

Last edited:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"...winner of the auction will be able to meet with Tim Cook for approximately one hour..."

Heaven forbid, that lunch should go over 1 hour - nice culture at Cupertino!

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I think I know why....Im guessing last years winner felt he got nothing. Tim doesnt say anything, except we have some great products coming....this is what I always says and nothing more. Steve Jobs was 10x better to sugercoat an make things sound interesting, even if he didn´t reveal any secrets.

A lunch with Tim seem like one utterly boring hour imo, like talking to a rock.

If I were a millionaire I would pay a lot for a lunch with steve, that could have been an interesting chat.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Following multiple shill bids last year, CharityBuzz implemented a credit card authorization requirement for all bidding customers, a policy that may explain why this year's auction was ultimately less popular with bidders.

I think what you meant to say is, it is was less popular with phony bidders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.