Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
I'm wondering now if the bitrate may even be song specific. I see other threads where people have run bandwidth monitors and figured it to be 192k or 256k, and other threads where they estimate at 96-128.

Further, after more listening, I agree that some songs sound very similar (identical?) to songs I have in my library, while other songs just make me cringe at how bad the compression sounds.

It could be that different songs are compressed at different rates, or that internet usage may affect streaming rate, or any number of other variations. I really wish Apple would release some specs, but as I mentioned before, for casual listening, it's fine.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm wondering now if the bitrate may even be song specific. I see other threads where people have run bandwidth monitors and figured it to be 192k or 256k, and other threads where they estimate at 96-128.

Further, after more listening, I agree that some songs sound very similar (identical?) to songs I have in my library, while other songs just make me cringe at how bad the compression sounds.

It could be that different songs are compressed at different rates, or that internet usage may affect streaming rate, or any number of other variations. I really wish Apple would release some specs, but as I mentioned before, for casual listening, it's fine.

I have done some bit rate checking and I find on my Mac Pro (45Mbps internet) all songs are at least 256Kbps. However on my iPhone USING cell data (LTE <35Mbps speed) the rate falls to below 96Kbps.

So I have found it's not song specific but HOW you are streaming.

Internet to Mac full 256Kbps.
Cell data very low (and poor quality) >96Kbps.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
ETA: I never used pandora or any other streaming services so I can't compare the quality of iTunes against other services.

Uhhhhhh...so how can you say it sounds terrible? It sounds terrible in contrast to 320kbps MP3, uncompressed FLAC, uncompressed .WAV audio, or what?

I've listened to the big streaming services out there, and it sounds as good or better on my low-quality EarBuds and Advent home stereo speakers.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Uhhhhhh...so how can you say it sounds terrible? It sounds terrible in contrast to 320kbps MP3, uncompressed FLAC, uncompressed .WAV audio, or what?

I've listened to the big streaming services out there, and it sounds as good or better on my low-quality EarBuds and Advent home stereo speakers.
Don't waste time debating with "golden Ears" or "Golden Eyes" concerning displays or sound. Just smile and nod your head.

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
I realize this is an old thread, but since I started it, I can resurrect it.

I think I found why iTunes radio sounds so bad. Apple has turned on a volume limiter at their end that cannot be disabled by end users... http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/10/28/itunesloudness

I guess Apple thinks they know better than the mastering engineers. Unfortunately, Apple's decision takes otherwise decent music and makes it sound worse.

I'm all for ending the loudness wars and putting dynamic range back in music, but Apple forcing their version of lower volumes on people is not the way that should happen. I'd much rather listen to music as the artist/engineer/producer intended rather than the way Apple thinks it should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.