Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I am thinking about upgrading my G5 powermac dual core 2ghz.

Currently it has 6gb Ram, with all slots full.

I am tempted to stick another 4gb RAM in (taking out 2x 512 sticks to make room).

Would I see a significant performance boost? I know this may sound strange as the obvious answer is likely to be yes, but not always.

I run Open Office, Photoshop CS2 and Final Cut.

Thanks

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
It depends what you are using your G5 for.
You can always check Activity Monitor and see how much RAM you are using.

When you import a lot of material in FinalCut project and it gets a lot more complicated (color corection, effects, transition, few audio tracks....) then check Activity Monitor ans see how much RAM it uses.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What kind of hard drive do you have in there? Either the better rpm HDDs, or a SDD would be more beneficial than more RAM I would think.

Give Photoshop a bigger scratch disk to work with too. We were using it with 512MB RAM on 1.8 single G5s with no issue back in the day in my school's photo lab.

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
What kind of hard drive do you have in there? Either the better rpm HDDs, or a SDD would be more beneficial than more RAM I would think.

Give Photoshop a bigger scratch disk to work with too. We were using it with 512MB RAM on 1.8 single G5s with no issue back in the day in my school's photo lab.

Just ordered an SSD from OWC, so that should help.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
i own a Powermac G5 1.8GHz Single Core with 8 GBs of Ram.....it doesn't really make a difference, at any given time I am only using about 1-2 gigs. I suppose CS4 or Final cut Pro would change that but your best bet is getting an SSD

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
There is 12GB in my quad G5 which is easily my most heavily used machine. I rarely have any more than 3GB used at a time. Leopard just doesn't need the kind of memory that 10.7+ needs. The dual 2.0 G5 that I still use for playing video on the TV used to be my main setup, and with 4GB of RAM, I still felt like it was more than sufficient for daily tasks. I always wanted to max out my quad for novelty sake, but I realized that it really isn't even close to necessary.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Check your activity monitor, do you have any page outs? If it's zero, 9Gb won't be any benefit to you. You will notice an SSD though. Be sure to get a 2.5">3.5" adapter.

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
There is 12GB in my quad G5 which is easily my most heavily used machine. I rarely have any more than 3GB used at a time. Leopard just doesn't need the kind of memory that 10.7+ needs. The dual 2.0 G5 that I still use for playing video on the TV used to be my main setup, and with 4GB of RAM, I still felt like it was more than sufficient for daily tasks. I always wanted to max out my quad for novelty sake, but I realized that it really isn't even close to necessary.

Thats my worry I am doing it just because I can ;)

----------

Check your activity monitor, do you have any page outs? If it's zero, 9Gb won't be any benefit to you. You will notice an SSD though. Be sure to get a 2.5">3.5" adapter.

Thanks I will run some tests and check it.

Got loads of the adapters.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thats my worry I am doing it just because I can ;)

----------

Thanks I will run some tests and check it.

Got loads of the adapters.

One thing to note is that you should order a SATA II SSD. Newer SATA III SSDs have issues with the SATA I chipset in the PowerMac G5s. Personal experience and others have confirmed it.

Another thing to note is that you will not get full performance out of an SSD due to the bottleneck SATA I chipset. Just figured I would inform you ahead of time. You will however see a definite improvement.

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
One thing to note is that you should order a SATA II SSD. Newer SATA III SSDs have issues with the SATA I chipset in the PowerMac G5s. Personal experience and others have confirmed it.

Another thing to note is that you will not get full performance out of an SSD due to the bottleneck SATA I chipset. Just figured I would inform you ahead of time. You will however see a definite improvement.

Thanks appreciate it.

I have ordered the correct one, through OWC (as they guarantee compatibility). SSD
I tried 3 SSDs I have lying around, all to no avail (because of the problem you mentioned).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks appreciate it.

I have ordered the correct one, through OWC (as they guarantee compatibility). SSD
I tried 3 SSDs I have lying around, all to no avail (because of the problem you mentioned).

Even SATA III hard drives won't work. They must have a jumper to set them to SATA II compatibility mode in most cases...

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Well I decided against the memory upgrade for now, but I have ramped up a few other things.

so now
120gb SSD from OWC (nice speed bump)
Ati 1900 xt - nice card but noisy

Switched the ATI cooler for a arctic cooler accelero L2 and it is whisper quiet (although takes up a fair bit of space).

Running well now as my main machine. Does everything I have asked of it.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010

There is a guy at cubeuser.de who has tested SSDs and a 1TB Samsung HDD at the stock SATA-I port and via several tested SATA-PCIe Cards in his Quad (even a SATA-III card with modified firmware) and he found that the Samsung drive still is faster, because, even with a SATA-III-PCIe card there seems to be something limiting.
Interesting insight, if one compares prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.