Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hippipebummm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
So I put a new harddrive in my 2006 mac mini, and everything is running perfectly. Except I now have no sound. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea what to do. Are there some drivers out there that I forgot to install? Please help. :(

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
What are you normally using for sound? If USB/FW external speakers, have you selected them for Output in System Preferences?

Hippipebummm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
No, I'm just using the internal speakers. And they've worked fine up until I put the new harddrive in.

Hippipebummm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Oh I don't know. Would that be the brown/coppery colored one? I'm not a computer person so I'm not sure. I'll double-check on that. Thank you.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Have a look at the ifixit.com step by step guide for your model, it will probably show the ribbon cable in situ. You could check if you get sound from the headphone socket first.

Aidan5678

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
Brown ribbon cable

Did you unplug the ribbon cable to the audio board when you fitted the new HD? Possibly not put back 100% correctly?

I had exacly this. Upgraded the Ram and didn't replace the ribbon cable correctly. Remove the top of the mac (tutoriols online) and then at the back there is a brown long flat cable and three small black cables and sockets. Ensure these are plugged in by a gentle push. For the ribbon cable, ensure it is properly in the slot. there is a small grey bar on the back of this slot. push this forward and then down (shape of the number 7) down into the mac. This secures the cable.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.