Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
This may not be applicable to many folks here, but we're seeing a lot of obscenely priced Mac Pros on a number of different craigslists. Perhaps the worst was $1950 for a MP 1,1 8 core.

Most listings don't even identify which version it is, the giveaway usually being the OS or the RAM speed.

So: If you're considering a MP, don't get ripped off. A MP 1,1 should be closer to free than not, and a 3,1 not much more.

Hope this helps someone here from being taken advantage of - there are lots of unscrupulous sellers out there.

And don't get me started on all the people "selling" pirated software . . .

tosh.macin

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2014
This may not be applicable to many folks here, but we're seeing a lot of obscenely priced Mac Pros on a number of different craigslists. Perhaps the worst was $1950 for a MP 1,1 8 core.

Most listings don't even identify which version it is, the giveaway usually being the OS or the RAM speed.

So: If you're considering a MP, don't get ripped off. A MP 1,1 should be closer to free than not, and a 3,1 not much more.

Hope this helps someone here from being taken advantage of - there are lots of unscrupulous sellers out there.

And don't get me started on all the people "selling" pirated software . . .

Hasn't it been known for....well, ever, that Craiglist is the ultimate example of "buyer beware"? If you're dumb enough to not investigate exactly which gen Mac Pro you are buying and get ripped off, that's on you.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Hasn't it been known for....well, ever, that Craiglist is the ultimate example of "buyer beware"? If you're dumb enough to not investigate exactly which gen Mac Pro you are buying and get ripped off, that's on you.

I don't think that was the main point of the OP. Some sellers aren't accurately listing the machines they are selling, and many consumers won't catch minor distinguishing characteristics like RAM or the OS version. Many people on this forum are fairly computer literate, so it might not be useful on this forum, but a majority of consumers will not be able to tell if a machine is being advertised as something it isn't. I agree with you that the onus should be on the buyer to be wary of the items they purchase, and they are ultimately responsible for their decisions. On the other hand, I think it is kind of stupid to complain when somebody tries to educate consumers about a scam.

Matt

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
if you have 2k to burn in cash why not just pay a little extra and get it from the actual company. I am all about Craigslist especially living in a decent size city like Boston you get great deals. I am more of a seller of electronics and old crap I don't want on there but have furnished my apartment in real nice Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn crap that my fiancé wanted for 1/5th of what it cost in the store.

A lot of the time the macs aren't even a good deal. I sold a 2008 or 2007 iMac for 700 bucks !!!!!!!!!! Last June. Its like why spend that much on something so old.

I always sell my 1-2 year old MacBooks for 900-1000 bucks when a new one cost 1,100-1,200 and I almost always buy them at $950 brand new at Microcenter who has them on sale all the time.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Some people are fixated on buying resale through online ads or the like. There's also the case that even though most of us would spend an extra 2-300 on a new machine, for others that extra money really breaks the bank.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Like anything used, it is the buyer's duty to do some due diligence before they buy. The biggest issue is being able to test a MP before you take it away. I agree, ads don't really always give version numbers and such. It is important to do your homework.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I typically don't see any Macs that are worthwhile on Craigslist in my area. I wonder how many actually sell. Ebay is considerably better, though doesn't allow me to physically inspect the item in person before buying. It's too bad. The situation seems to be better in tech-heavy areas, though, like SF Bay Area.

That said, if I decide to sell my Mac Pro 1,1, I might just try Craigslist before I try Ebay. But I'll be pretty thorough in describing it, including being up front about the fact that the latest OS X isn't officially supported, despite the fact that it's running Mavericks (or whatever it's running by the time I sell it).

A $1950 MP 1,1 8 core would only be worth it if it had 32 GB RAM (which is expensive actually - $1200 from Crucial, for example), a powerful video card, and enough SSDs to make it worth it. I see more bare bones config 1,1 selling somewhere in the $250-$350 range on Ebay.

tosh.macin

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2014
I don't think that was the main point of the OP. Some sellers aren't accurately listing the machines they are selling, and many consumers won't catch minor distinguishing characteristics like RAM or the OS version. Many people on this forum are fairly computer literate, so it might not be useful on this forum, but a majority of consumers will not be able to tell if a machine is being advertised as something it isn't. I agree with you that the onus should be on the buyer to be wary of the items they purchase, and they are ultimately responsible for their decisions. On the other hand, I think it is kind of stupid to complain when somebody tries to educate consumers about a scam.

Matt

I think it's STUPID when people post that craiglists items MAY BE a scam. Get real.

----------

Like anything used, it is the buyer's duty to do some due diligence before they buy. The biggest issue is being able to test a MP before you take it away. I agree, ads don't really always give version numbers and such. It is important to do your homework.

NO NO you can't say that! People will call your post stupid!

How DARE people take some personal accountability?

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I think it's STUPID when people post that craiglists items MAY BE a scam. Get real.

A forum member took the time to post a warning because he was concerned about some consumers. Did it really need to be said? Probably not.

He was just trying to help people out, and he seemed like a nice guy. I don't know why that makes him stupid.

To be fair, I shouldn't have called your post stupid. I thought it was a little unnecessary, and got emotional. I'm sure you are a decent person, and it was kind of hypocritical of me.

Here's to unnecessary posts,
Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.