Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GBA4iOS, the popular Game Boy emulator for iOS, has been removed by its creator Riley Testut on GitHub after Nintendo filed a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown request, reports The Next Web. First sharing the news through his Twitter, Testut stated that the emulator will continue to function normally on iOS devices, as in-app ROM downloads will be "temporarily suspended."

gba4ios.jpg
GBA4iOS saw its last major update in February, which added iPad support, controller skins, iOS 7 controller support, Dropbox integration, and an in-app web browser that could used to download Game Boy games from any ROM website. The emulator was also notable for bypassing Apple's App Store restrictions as it could be installed directly on an iOS device by visiting the project's official website and tapping a download link.

Traditionally, Apple has taken a strict stance on emulators in the App Store, which has caused apps like GBA4iOS to seek alternative methods for user downloads. For instance, open emulators such as iMAME and iDOS have made their way onto the App Store only to be pulled a short time later likely because of potential legal issues.

Despite the removal of GBA4iOS, the 'NDS4iOS' Nintendo DS emulator for iOS devices released last month remains available on its respective web page. However, it is unknown if Nintendo will file a similar takedown notice in efforts to prevent potential piracy.

Article Link: 'GBA4iOS' Game Boy Emulator Shut Down After Nintendo Files DMCA Notice

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Wow, negative comments. I love how Nintendo enforcing their intellectual property rights, by not letting people illegally download their games, is bad choice. :rolleyes:

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Taking out the in-app web browser that facilitates rom downloads would have complied with the DMCA. Emulators are not illegal, unauthorized distribution of roms is. The dev is just scared of Nintendo's legal pit bulls.

I never cared for GBA anyway. Someone please release a good NES, SNES, and MAME emulator using this alternative app distribution method. Please!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Wow, negative comments. I love how Nintendo enforcing their intellectual property rights, by not letting people illegally download their games, is bad choice. :rolleyes:

Considering how Apple protects its IP like a rabid doberman, it does seem a bit ironic to complain about Nintendo's actions on this site.

As a fan of iOS devices and many Nintendo games though, it's a pity there couldn't be a legal solution to this.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

+1. If Apple were to do this, the praise would be so high that angels in heaven would sing songs of copyright and litigation.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
He put too much time
and personal resources into this to see it fail.
Nintendo is stupid! Ironically, my sister just downloaded it the other day after I pressured her

Goldex

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
The only legal way to play their old games is on a Wii U. That is just ridiculous.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The only legal way to play their old games is on a Wii U. That is just ridiculous.

Or play them on the console they were designed for.

The only way I can run PPC apps is on Snow Leopard or a PPC Mac. That is just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I for one have no issue with Nintendo taking this action.

But personally, these types of news bits from Japan are getting tiresome. It saddens me to see companies that once set the standard for technological innovation reduce themselves to IP trolls. We're talking about a country that still buys music CD's like its the 1990s because big business has such an iron grip on copyright and piracy laws. They need to wake up and realize the rest of the world is changing, they need to change along with it. GET BACK TO INNOVATING!!!

Maybe companies like Nintendo & Sony touch a nerve too with Apple fans because they're watching a potential :apple: future without a strong leader unfold?

:eek:

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
If anything, Nintendo should hire this guy.
He found a cool way to make Nintendo gaming relevant on an iPhone. The Emulator is actually quite good. I spent alot of time on it playing wario ware and Advance wars.

alphaprime

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Frankly, both Nintendo and Apple can both go suck a **** on this issue as far as I'm concerned. There's no copyright infringement involved here (nor with the majority of emulators which Apple/Nintendo ban).

If it's wasn't for jailbreaking and/or Zeusmos, I'd never touch an Apple device ever again. As a product of the 80s, you can pry my emulators from my cold dead hands.

Happy that my children can one day enjoy the Nintendo-of-yore on their emulators while they read about the current disgrace of a company in their history books/tablets. RIP Big N.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
+1. If Apple were to do this, the praise would be so high that angels in heaven would sing songs of copyright and litigation.
Hahaha yes, exactly.

That's not quite true. You can play their old games on a 3DS/2DS as well (Or buy their old hardware). And that isn't ridiculous. OS X only runs on Macs. iOS only runs on iDevices. No one seems to be mad at Apple for keeping their products exclusive, why should Nintendo be any different? Because you don't want to pay for their consoles? That's a terrible reason. If you want to play Nintendo games, buy a Nintendo console. Want to play Halo? Buy an Xbox. Want to play God of War? Buy a Playstation. It's not a hard concept.

Frankly, both Nintendo and Apple can both go suck a **** on this issue as far as I'm concerned. There's no copyright infringement involved here (nor with the majority of emulators which Apple/Nintendo ban).
Um, distributing and/or downloading ROMS is copyright infringement.

N should give up on hardware and just make games for other consoles/devices.
The Wii U is their first flop in a while. I'm pretty sure they'll be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Lol. Playing a GB game on a touch screen is a bad experience anyway. I tried playing pokemom gold on my s4 one time the touch screen controls really hinder game play.

Nintendo has a right to protect their property. Some of you people act like Nintendo is public property. If windows store had a program that allowed osx to run on windows machines apple would be all over it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I saw this coming, Nintendo is enforcing its IP, they worked hard at developing their products. I'm surprised GBA4iOS lasted this long

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
No it wouldn't because there are far more Apple haters on here than supporters. This post is proof of this, as it is the norm instead of the exception.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
No it wouldn't because there are far more Apple haters on here than supporters. This post is proof of this, as it is the norm instead of the exception.

Clearly you have never read one of the "Samsung Found guilty" threads..

The hypocrisy shown by some in this thread is hysterical.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Just head over to one of the Apple vs. Samsung threads, you'll see that your supposition is not correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.