Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adgjqetuo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Hi Everyone - looking for some advice:

My applecare expires next week and for the past month or so i've been having intermittent charge issues - it seems the dock connector "rocks" with placed in the phone and it doesn't always connect to charge. A lot of the time I wake up with a dead phone.

It's not a REAL pain, but it sometimes can be frustrating.

Is it worth getting a "re manufactured" phone from Apple? Or should I stick with what I have since my phone is original? Are the re-manufactured considered a hit or miss, or are they just as good quality?

Part me thinks I have nothing to loose since my Verizon contract is up the same time my applecare expires, but I'm trying to save some money and not upgrade right away - thought i'd get your opinions.

Worth gambling with the charge port, or gambling with a re-manufactured phone?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Is it worth getting a "re manufactured" phone from Apple? Or should I stick with what I have since my phone is original? Are the re-manufactured considered a hit or miss, or are they just as good quality?
IMO, in terms of quality, neither brand-new phones and remanufactured have a 100% "defect free" rate.

I've used iPhones since the original came out in 2007, and have received remanufactured warranty replacements probably around 5 times (over the years).

I've never had a quality issue with a remanufactured phone. They come with a brand new exterior shell, and a brand new battery. To me, other than their serial number, they've been indistinguishable from brand-new ones.

Others have had issues with them. Other have had issues with brand-new phones. So both are hit or miss, in that sense. But I've seen no trend over the years that indicates that you're more likely to have a problem with a remanufactured phone vs. a brand-new one. So folks say that since remanufactured phones are tested again before being used, you're less likely to get a bad one, but bad ones still slip through.

Since your Verizon contract is soon up, if you're planning on upgrading your phone in the next few months and selling your old iPhone, I'd guess you'd get significantly more selling a remanufactured phone that's only a few months old and has a charge port that works vs. your older current phone that doesn't charge well. :)

Service replacement phones (remanufactured or not) assume the remainder of the original phones warranty, or 90 days, whichever is longer. So you really don't incur much risk by swapping to one.

adgjqetuo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply - makes me feel better.

I'm not looking to upgrade soon, so my hope is that getting a new re-manufactured phone will be like getting a new phone again and I can get a couple more years out of it. As I created this thread I thought to myself, it's really a win-win. It's free - if it doesn't work out then I upgrade, but if it does work out I get a new phone for a couple more years.

I'll make the appointment.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.