Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am getting a current Mac mini for my mother, who needs computer right now. Her desk space is tight. She has a 20 inch thin HP monitor that doesn't weigh much at all, I was wondering if it would be safe to put the monitor on top of the Mac mini.

What do you think?

----------

The monitor weighs 5.58 pounds.

themeerkat

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
Seattle, WA
Shouldn't be a problem, it's a hard aluminum enclosure. Your main concern would probably be heat dissipation, not weight - make sure you're not blocking the rear vent, particularly if desk space is limited.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It is possible i guess, but i would strongly advice against this.
Mainly because of heat disepation.

Just build a small wouldnt enclosuer.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
If the monitor has VESA mounting screws you might consider a VESA mount. There is a replacement bottom cover you can buy that's VESA compatible, though it's pretty expensive.

For one of my own Mac Minis I just drilled holes into the cover myself (after buying a $25 spare, just in case it went horribly wrong). I just took the cover off, made a template for the 100mm apart holes, and found some screws that fit the thread of my monitor and were relatively flat; it was then just a simple case of screwing the bottom cover onto the back of the monitor, then twisting the Mac Mini into place. The most difficult part really was finding a way to securely hold the cover in position while drilling, as it's a very awkward shaped being tapered and round ;)

Of course with the DIY option there's no locking of the cover, so you have to be carefully you don't accidentally twist the Mac Mini free of it. However, pressing the power button pushes the Mac Mini in the cover-closed direction so it hasn't actually been an issue, plus tidying the cables out the back (now the bottom) with a nice tight cable tidy also restricts any accidental movement.

If you're not confident about drilling the cover then I wouldn't do it, but it worked great for me, and saves a ton of space, with no apparent cooling issues for light use. Also, like I said, the price of a replacement cover is only about $25 plus shipping, which is a lot less than third party covers, though of course the latter are purpose designed for VESA mounting, so it's up to you.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Something like this would do it...
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/MINISTAND/
...although it's quite likely that the monitor's stand is wider than the perspex stand, which wouldn't be pretty. The price of that particular stand isn't pretty, either!

I used to have my Mini under a 2lb Airport Extreme, which was in turn under a 7lb speaker. Heat dissipation not a problem: I'm a great fan of the self-adhesive rubbber foot.

I stopped doing this because every once in a while – I guess after I'd disturbed the stack and in doing so unbalanced the weight distribution through said rubber feet – there'd intermittently be the slightest 'shaving' noise, as beloved by so many iMac owners. Don't know if it was the HDD or a fan, but obviously the PSI was just too much through one of those feet.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with post #3 above.

That is, don't do it.

If you really need to conserve space, either buy or build a small "stand" that will hold the monitor, and leave room for the mini to "stand free" underneath it.

Or -- turn the Mini on its side and place it somewhere else on the desk. There are stands you can buy (or improvise) to do this.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I suggest you put progressively heavier items on top of it until it fails.* This is the best way to get a satisfactory answer to your question.

Please post results here afterwords :D

*Don't really do this!

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I suggest you put progressively heavier items on top of it until it fails.
You've now reminded me of why I used to get grinding noises: it wasn't the 2lb Airport Extreme or the 7lb speaker, it was the rubbish piled up on top of the speaker that did it!

I reckon the Mini is good for 12lbs.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.