Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 14, 2014, 12:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Norwegian Consumer Group Files Complaint Over iCloud's 'Convoluted' Terms of Service

Apple is facing a complaint from the Norwegian Consumer Council over the terms and conditions for its iCloud service, reports ZDNet. The consumer watchdog group claims the agreement violates the Norwegian Market Act, which governs marketing practices in the country.

The complaint arose from a study of seven cloud storage providers offering service in Norway and was part of a broader investigation into how digital services are being offered to Norwegian consumers. The Norwegian Consumer Council cited Apple for its 8,600 word iCloud terms of service, which it claims is "convoluted and unclear."

Particularly troubling to the Consumer Council were terms that allow Apple to modify the agreement at its discretion without notifying customers of the changes.
Quote:
"Cloud storage services rely on users' trust and confidence. However, the current terms undermine this. It is important that consumer rights and privacy also apply to online services. We are convinced that all parties are better served with more user-friendly terms. Apple offers to store valuable information on behalf of its users, but gives itself the right to amend the agreement at its sole discretion. As consumers, we are left with no real rights or security. Receiving notice when terms change should be a bare minimum requirement. The fact that this can be done without informing the users is unacceptable," Finn Myrstad, head of digital services unit at the Consumer Council, said in a statement.
This is one of several overseas complaints Apple has faced recently, including a Belgian claim that Apple misled consumers about warranty information and an accusation of tax fraud by Italian authorities.

Despite these occasional hurdles, Apple continues to operate a strong global business with international sales accounting for 66 percent of revenue in Q2 2014. Apple also opened its first stores in Brazil and Turkey this year, and now has a retail presence in 15 countries worldwide.

Article Link: Norwegian Consumer Group Files Complaint Over iCloud's 'Convoluted' Terms of Service
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:06 PM   #2
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

No one reads the TOS anyway.
dannyyankou is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
okboy
macrumors regular

Fair enough.
okboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:07 PM   #4
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
Exactly. Scroll scroll scroll your boat. Accept terms.
troop231 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:13 PM   #5
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

They want a head's up when the TOS change? I think that's fair.

They want legal documents to be simplified? Good luck with that. Besides, I thought Scandinavians were supposed to be smart.
rmatthewware is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Cristian .b
macrumors member

What, are we complaining again?
Cristian .b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:45 PM   #7
surfingarbo
macrumors member

In other news, loyal Apple fans file a complaint against Norwegian Consumer Groups complaint.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Exactly. Scroll scroll scroll your boat. Accept terms.

Why wont it read?!

Old May 14, 2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

A good reason why I never want to be running a multi-national consumer business. You need to run a marketing and legal department for each country, no matter how small.
Old May 14, 2014, 01:04 PM   #10
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why doesn't it read?!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	472315  
tevion5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 02:02 PM   #11
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post

Why wont it read?!

Ahhh you beat me to a South Park joke!
tevion5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 02:12 PM   #12
jeff1977
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevion5 View Post
Ahhh you beat me to a South Park joke!
Best part of that episode is the Japanese guy yelling "I never should've updated the iTunes!!"
jeff1977 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 02:24 PM   #13
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1977 View Post
Best part of that episode is the Japanese guy yelling "I never should've updated the iTunes!!"
And his misinterpretation of what Kyle wanted him to eat! xD
tevion5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 02:31 PM   #14
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

And once again, most tech people shrug off a perfectly valid complaint against their tech gods.

Sigh.

Why is it that North American governments and consumer advocates never have a damn thing to say about the miserable anti-consumer defaults of the computer industry? Everyone here is so totally indoctrinated into the BS special pleading excuses and complacency.
dysamoria is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
And once again, most tech people shrug off a perfectly valid complaint against their tech gods.

Sigh.

Why is it that North American governments and consumer advocates never have a damn thing to say about the miserable anti-consumer defaults of the computer industry? Everyone here is so totally indoctrinated into the BS special pleading excuses and complacency.
Well, the argument goes that people are not total idiots, and don't need to be treated like slow children. That is, they can make informed decisions (like not to buy stuff, or to agree to stuff without reading it) on their own.

Of course, we know this is not true at all. Most people are, in fact, total idiots, incompetent boobs or dim-witted children; or, at the least, a lot dumber than me.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:06 PM   #16
556fmjoe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
Well, the argument goes that people are not total idiots, and don't need to be treated like slow children. That is, they can make informed decisions (like not to buy stuff, or to agree to stuff without reading it) on their own.

Of course, we know this is not true at all. Most people are, in fact, total idiots, incompetent boobs or dim-witted children; or, at the least, a lot dumber than me.
What if you agree to terms of service that are decent, only to have them changed behind your back without notifying you?
Old May 14, 2014, 04:16 PM   #17
bsolar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
A good reason why I never want to be running a multi-national consumer business. You need to run a marketing and legal department for each country, no matter how small.
If you want to do business in a country you have to comply with that country's laws. If you consider the costs excessive nobody is forcing you to keep doing business there.
bsolar is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 04:29 PM   #18
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Seems reasonable to me
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 04:34 PM   #19
Ivabign
macrumors 6502

With the corporation backed US Congress unwilling to change anything that offends their paymasters, it might take the actions of a few progressive countries to write legislation that protects the little guy. Not that it will trickle down here unless people inform themselves. Well done Norway, well done.
Ivabign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 04:34 PM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

It would be nice if MR actually included the TOS/TOC verbiage this group is complaining about. Just because the complaint is coming from a consumer watchdog type group doesn't mean it's valid.
Old May 14, 2014, 06:11 PM   #21
phrozend
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
It would be nice if MR actually included the TOS/TOC verbiage this group is complaining about. Just because the complaint is coming from a consumer watchdog type group doesn't mean it's valid.
Here's the actual complaint, with the references you're asking for (in English):
http://www.forbrukerradet.no/_attach...0/binary/29927

Here's The Consumer Council's own article on this subject (again, in English):
http://www.forbrukerradet.no/forside...d-european-law
phrozend is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 12:27 AM   #22
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post
With the corporation backed US Congress unwilling to change anything that offends their paymasters, it might take the actions of a few progressive countries to write legislation that protects the little guy. Not that it will trickle down here unless people inform themselves. Well done Norway, well done.
Thumbs up :-)
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 04:25 AM   #23
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsolar View Post
If you want to do business in a country you have to comply with that country's laws. If you consider the costs excessive nobody is forcing you to keep doing business there.
Who is saying Apple is doing anything against the law? What the quoted article says is that a Norwegian consumer group filed a complaint with the Norwegian consumer ombudsman. So you might wait until a decision is made.

On the other hand, Norwegians are clearly allowed to entrust their data with privacy-respecting companies like Google. (I mean that in a sarcastic way, in case it has to be said).
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 04:56 AM   #24
bsolar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Who is saying Apple is doing anything against the law?
Nobody? Or, at least, that's not what I said at all.
bsolar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 03:34 PM   #25
krravi
macrumors 65816

Well done Norway! The way a government is supposed to work!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion