Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Perhaps I'm not fully understanding the issue, but couldn't Apple fix this by simply having the idevice ping the Apple server periodically to verify that it's still alive and supposed to be receiving iMessages? I sort of thought it was doing this anyway.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'm originally from the Platteville area. I don't get back up that way very often anymore. I usually pick up a car load of Spotted Cow when I do. Once a co-worker and I were at a conference in Green Bay and drank the hotel bar out of the Cow. By the gods we spent way too much money but it was worth it.

I'm no longer in Wisconsin either, but when I visit I'll pick up at least some. Once I filled the trunk with it and drove to North Carolina to another Wisconsin ex-pat's house. Was a little worried about being stopped... !

I've heard SC is #1 beer sold in Wisconsin, that's a pretty amazing feat.

I was toying with the idea of "exporting" New Glarus beers across state lines, but it turns out there's a whole mess of regulations involved. Wine, sure, but not beer.

"Cow me ASAP!"

Back on topic: uhhh... Steve Jobs never would have let this happen!

Pd0rk1n

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
There is away that worked for me and it does every time I have switched from an iPhone. First you need to turn off and sign out of iMessage and FaceTime on all your devices including MacBooks and any device that uses your phone number for iMessage. Then wait about 20 minutes and have the person that can't get a message to you send you a text. It should work after sometime. ( not sure how long but it worked fast for me). Do not sign back in on other devices until you can get a text from the person who's been having trouble reaching you. You need to make sure that your are signed out of iMessage and FaceTime on all of your idevices for this to work. This has always worked for me. Let me know if it works for anyone.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
"It just works".... :rolleyes:

I've seen this happen in real time and is a PITA. the fact Apple won't fix it is ridiculous.
Fixed.

----------

(1) Well the first problem is android.

(I mean, don't whine at me for saying that - I had android for three years before making the miraculous switch to iPhone this year).

(2) The number must be specified as 'mobile' rather than 'iPhone' in whomever is sending the messages' iPhone... If that makes sense.

(3) cheers to the engineering team working on a resolution. I'm sure they'll have a fix in a month or two.
Issue has been active and known by Apple since 2011.
They are in no hurry to fix this issue.
It's just a tactical approach to force people back to an iPhone.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
There is away that worked for me and it does every time I have switched from an iPhone. First you need to turn off and sign out of iMessage and FaceTime on all your devices including MacBooks and any device that uses your phone number for iMessage. Then wait about 20 minutes and have the person that can't get a message to you send you a text. It should work after sometime. ( not sure how long but it worked fast for me). Do not sign back in on other devices until you can get a text from the person who's been having trouble reaching you. You need to make sure that your are signed out of iMessage and FaceTime on all of your idevices for this to work. This has always worked for me. Let me know if it works for anyone.

This is essentially the procedure I performed when I got my new iPad a few weeks back. I haven't had any issues since then, but, my delivery issues were far and few between after upgrading to iOS7. I couldn't say if it's fixed my issue for sure for a few months, until I've had a good amount of time for it to crop up again.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I'm no longer in Wisconsin either, but when I visit I'll pick up at least some. Once I filled the trunk with it and drove to North Carolina to another Wisconsin ex-pat's house. Was a little worried about being stopped... !

I've heard SC is #1 beer sold in Wisconsin, that's a pretty amazing feat.

I was toying with the idea of "exporting" New Glarus beers across state lines, but it turns out there's a whole mess of regulations involved. Wine, sure, but not beer.

"Cow me ASAP!"

Back on topic: uhhh... Steve Jobs never would have let this happen!

There was a bar in new york that was doing that, got busted a while back. I think they destroyed all the beer too. 50 cases. Of cow. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2009/11/nyc_bar_busted.php

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011

(I mean, don't whine at me for saying that - I had android for three years before making the miraculous switch to iPhone this year).

(2) The number must be specified as 'mobile' rather than 'iPhone' in whomever is sending the messages' iPhone... If that makes sense.

(3) cheers to the engineering team working on a resolution. I'm sure they'll have a fix in a month or two.

I'm actually shocked it took until your post for someone to blame someone other than Apple, who is clearly at fault here. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
It’s your own fault for not signing out of iMessage/disabling it on your device before switching to a different phone. The same logic applies if you sold your phone to someone and left Find My iPhone on, the onus is on you to turn that off, not Apple.

That is not the case. A friend of mine did everything correctly and still has issues with text messages being lost.

To this day he cannot receive responses to group messages he sends to me and another friend. He now finally CAN receive text messages as long as it is one on one conversation.

-He DID turn off imessage before switching phones.
-He DID remove the phone from his online account.
-He DID turn off Find My Iphone ont he device.
-He DID call Apply and ATT. Apple aknowledged his problem is legitimate and they have no solution. ATT blamed Apple.

He still has the iphone and has experimented with a number of 'fixes' but nothing can eliminate the group messaging problem.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
It’s your own fault for not signing out of iMessage/disabling it on your device before switching to a different phone. The same logic applies if you sold your phone to someone and left Find My iPhone on, the onus is on you to turn that off, not Apple.

Why would this be your fault? Is it specified anywhere that you need to do this? Have you EVER had to do this on any messaging service prior to iMessage? Stop defending Apple blindly.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I've had this issue before. You usually have to disassociate the iPhone from your account. Once you do that it usually fixes itself within a few days. This has been an issue for a long time, nothing new here.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Why would this be your fault? Is it specified anywhere that you need to do this? Have you EVER had to do this on any messaging service prior to iMessage? Stop defending Apple blindly.

Because Apple is perfect and never makes mistakes and would hold their hands up in complete transparency if they did. How can you not know this? It is one of the only known facts of life that can never be disputed, by anyone anywhere... in the same realm as the fact that we're all going to die one day. Apple is perfect. One day I'll be dead and so will you. These are not statements that one can dispute, ever.

BrandonJay21

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2003
Orlando, FL
I switched to Android recently to see if it's something I'd like. I signed out of imessage before switching. Regular texts seeme to work, but group messages are very hit or miss with my iPhone friends. Half of my friends will send an imessage to me when responding in a group and half will send as MMS. The half that send as imessage have to delete me from their phone, and add me back in to get their phone to stop sending as imessage. Obviously that's not efficient to need to ask all my friends to do that in order to send me group messages.

Scz

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
San Francisco, CA

Usually when you sign in to something, you are expected to sign out when you’re done with it. And iMessage is completely different from any other messaging service prior to it in the fact that it does hijack your phone number to deflect special messages to it. So you'd think maybe there would be some extra steps involved in shutting it off before just blindly switching phones, but I guess no one else gets that.

bloqhead

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
I had the same problem when going from an iPhone 5 to a Nexus 5. I did everything specified and still nothing. I logged into my profile on Apple and removed the device, turned off iMessage in the phone settings, etc. Nothing.

You know what "fixed" it? Getting a new phone number. Fortunately I had moved to a new area and wanted a new one for the local area code anyway (and because I switched carriers), so that was my "solution."

The fact that this has been going on since 2011 is appalling. I also saw someone in the comments try to somehow blame Android. I thought that was entertaining.

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010
It was designed that way to magically work and give you hard time since 2011. Talk about giving a damn about users.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I had this issue with my iPhone. I thought it was odd that I received messages that my DD11 sent me on the iPad but not on the iPhone. The iPhone was upgraded to a 5s. Luckily, the 4s I had previously is now my DD11's so I am able to do the sign out if needed.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I've had this issue before. You usually have to disassociate the iPhone from your account. Once you do that it usually fixes itself within a few days. This has been an issue for a long time, nothing new here.

Well it's new now to most because a lot are switching from iPhone to Android. :D

Scz

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Of course it’s a nefarious scheme to get people to not switch away from iPhones.

Does no one realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
From what I was told....Steve Jobs designed it this way so that no one leaves the iPhone. :apple:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Weird - I wonder what the root cause is. I bounced between two iPhones and three Android phones last year and never lost any messages or had any issues.

Seems odd something so widespread/detrimental would be completely random. Will be interesting to see what the cause ends up being.

I'd be curious to know what you did. I tried to sim swap between my iPhone with a Nexus 5 (and even a Moto X) (I wanted to use an iPhone or the N5/MotoX when I wanted with just the swap of a sim).

I tried all the "solutions" on the internet of disabling iMessage on my phone, removing my phone number from iMessage on my iPad and iMac, changing my Apple ID password, un-registering my device from Apple... I did all this and nothing worked. I still had issues with missing texts (when I was on the Android phone) from other iPhone senders.

I don't think the problem is android and your advice on (2) doesn't work, I tried it.

nope. tried it, didn't work (even when I recently tried the Samsung Galaxy S5, I had disabled iMessage on my iPhone and my number removed from iMessage on all my devices for 2 weeks prior to receiving the S5 just to give it time to disassociate my number with iMessage... didn't work. It's funny, when i put my S5 sim back in my iPhone (to send the S5 back), I turned on the iPhone and immediately received about 6 iMessages that I never received when I was using the S5.

tried, didn't work :(

After I called Apple and had them disassociate my number with iMessage I haven't had any issue getting text messages. It is an extremely frustrating problem when moving away from an iPhone.

This is the only thing I didn't try.... maybe next time :)

Last edited:

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
Kelly, you're making the same mistake that Ben Lovejoy made over on Cult of Mac. The quotes "this is a problem a lot of people are facing" and "added that engineering team is working on it but is apparently clueless as to how to fix it" are from Pash's blog post, paraphrasing, not quoting the AppleCare rep. That's not clear in your article. You make it sound like the rep is calling the engineers "clueless".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.