Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
The question of the thread is whether the OP should purchase an extended warranty for a new computer that he already has.... :)

Point taken. I've already agreed above that my suggestion will not answer the current question. It will only prevent him from having that question ever again, for decades to come. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and all of that...

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I went into the Apple Store on Monday to get my MacBook Air's battery fixed by the Genius Bar.
I bought my Mac just days after it was launched in 2012, so it's just under 2 years old.
The Apple Genius who spoke to me explained that I was fine as I was covered by 2 years of consumer rights - accurate in the case of European law because of the European Directive 1999/44/EC. However, while the Sales of Goods Act doesn't state a specific time, it's generally stronger than the 1999/44/EC.
Goods must be
  • As described
  • Of Satisfactory Quality
  • Reasonably durable

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Hi,
....I've had to use the warranty once to replace the entire top display part last November when the clutch cover came loose from the screen....

I usually don't buy applecare, but if I had to have a warranty repair like yours in the first year, I'd probably buy the 2 year extension.

MikePembo951

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2013
UK
I usually don't buy applecare, but if I had to have a warranty repair like yours in the first year, I'd probably buy the 2 year extension.

Surely a defect like that would have been covered under UK/EU warranty anyway though since there's no accidental damage/user-caused damage to my macbook.

Still in two minds about it, but leaning towards not getting AC. Some have said that Apple gives AC free to higher education students but i've already bought the laptop and it costs about £150 to buy on it's own (from HE store, else it is £200). I'm thinking that the £150 would be better saved for maybe 3/4 years time when upgrading.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Surely a defect like that would have been covered under UK/EU warranty anyway though since there's no accidental damage/user-caused damage to my macbook.

Still in two minds about it, but leaning towards not getting AC. Some have said that Apple gives AC free to higher education students but i've already bought the laptop and it costs about £150 to buy on it's own (from HE store, else it is £200). I'm thinking that the £150 would be better saved for maybe 3/4 years time when upgrading.

how long are you thinking you're getting under your UK warranty? As far as I've seen, the EU warranty isn't particularly useful since after 6 months it requires the buyer to prove the defect existed when they bought it

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
If an extended warranty gives you peace of mind there is value in that as well.

I don't buy AC. I know several people who would not consider going without it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.