Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A model said to be an industrial prototype of the upcoming 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" has surfaced, giving a look at what the larger tablet might look like in-hand. Discovered on Chinese Twitter-like site Weibo by Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translation] the machined aluminum is said to be a reference for creating cases and other accessories.

ipadpromockup.png
The design of the mockup is very rudimentary and while it is said to be the iPad Pro, it is impossible to determine the exact size of the prototype from the photos. It is also not clear if this "prototype" is based on any type of legitimate specifications as Apple is said to be multiple months away from releasing a larger tablet. Along with a larger size, the model also has an Apple logo and a rear camera cutout. At 12.9-inches, the iPad Pro would be similar in size to a 13-inch MacBook Air and quite a bit larger than the existing 9.7-inch iPad Air.

12_9_ipad_macbook_air.jpg
Rendering of a 12.9-inch iPad next to a 13-inch MacBook Air
News that Apple was testing displays for a larger 12.9-inch iPad first surfaced in July of last year in a report from The Wall Street Journal. While initial rumors suggested Apple could release the device in 2014, reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has pointed towards a possible 2015 launch date for the device, while Digitimes indicated in March that development on the tablet had been shelved in favor of other projects.

Rumors have suggested the iPad Pro, if released, will adopt many of the same design elements offered in the current iPad Air and Retina iPad mini, including an ultrathin chassis and narrow side bezels. It is also rumored to include an ultra high-definition display.

Article Link: Alleged 'iPad Pro' Model Shows What the Giant Tablet Might Look Like In-Hand

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
We are here to introduce to you the "iPad PRO"... With 24 hours of Battery Life.... Just look at that screen, isn't it beautiful.... PLEASE STOP POSTING MOCKUPS

Starting at $1700 with 16gb of storage (STILL NO microSD CARD SLOT)

Last edited:

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I'll be right back. My 3D printer just finished printing a mock up of iPhone 7. Maybe I'll make the front page!

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
appleofmy"i";19113448 said:
1. Buy cheap 3d printer
2. Print mockups of "future Apple products"
3. ???
4. Profit

1. Take a high school metal work class.
2. ???
3. Brief mention on Internet blog.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Why would anyone want to carry that slab when there is the similar sized, but much more capable Macbook Air available.:confused:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
why that same photo still being used?... the 12.9" ipad is bigger than the 13" macbook.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Truthfully, this size iPad might make me buy one plus one of those bluetooth keyboard cases. I had one for my iPad 4th gen but felt the iPad screen just wasn't big enough to be a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.