Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Anyone else feel that Apple should keep the classic alive for the sole purpose of having a large music library? Would love to see an update - even if it only means a lightning connector, though a larger capacity would be very nice.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I own and use several Classic iPods and like them a great deal. I would love to see a hardware update but am getting more and more concerned about that ever happening. With Apple getting serious about the streaming business and sagging profits in the iTunes music store their interest in those of us with large music libraries is probably minimal at best. 95% of the music in my iTunes is from ripped CDs so they really don't care about me much at all.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Anyone else feel that Apple should keep the classic alive for the sole purpose of having a large music library? Would love to see an update - even if it only means a lightning connector, though a larger capacity would be very nice.

Yes, I'm in a somewhat similar position. My classic played host to my (not inconsiderable) music library. And yes, I would like to see greater storage capacity, and, in my dreams, perhaps a 128 GB SSD drive……..

I own and use several Classic iPods and like them a great deal. I would love to see a hardware update but am getting more and more concerned about that ever happening. With Apple getting serious about the streaming business and sagging profits in the iTunes music store their interest in those of us with large music libraries is probably minimal at best. 95% of the music in my iTunes is from ripped CDs so they really don't care about me much at all.

Again, I am in a somewhat similar situation; I, too, have several iPod classics, and love them, and use them. For that matter, in common with your good self, most of my music library is comprised of ripped CDs.

And, yes, it would be very nice to see an update for those of us who like to be able to have our rather large music libraries in one portable device……..

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I thought I would miss the classic and it's been sitting on my desk for a few months now. I have iTunes Match so I have access to all my music. A part of me with they would change it, because it's way over priced now.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I thought I would miss the classic and it's been sitting on my desk for a few months now. I have iTunes Match so I have access to all my music. A part of me with they would change it, because it's way over priced now.

Everyone is different really. For me, it's a player that will sit in my car connected to the car's audio system. I have limited data so iTunes Match is a no-no for me.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Everyone is different really. For me, it's a player that will sit in my car connected to the car's audio system. I have limited data so iTunes Match is a no-no for me.

Ditto on this. My iPod Classic is my road trip and public transit device. I hook it up in my car with an iTrip. I know, 2007 called, and they want their tech back ;) That's the model year for my car, so that's the system I use. No Bluetooth or USB, and forget an aux port unless I somehow install it myself. It's possible in a a Corolla, but I haven't found the right parts yet for my stock head unit.

Anyway, if I did something like Pandora or Spotify, I'd be paying Verizon extra pretty quick. I've already paid Apple for a lot of my music anyway.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's a nice device for those that have large music libraries. That said, I doubt you'll ever see anymore updates for it.

grubworth

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
i think we will. rumours of apple selling 24 bit rate music in the itunes store, buying beats headphones, fiio products are great and filling a void in the outdated market of ipod classic users.

i think something will be in the works aimed at passionate audio collectors / audiophiles. it was only because their was nothing else to do and components were too expensive. i think we could be reaching the time for affordable ssd sizes for a ipod classic and thus a new time for a products. hopefully! :)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Love my Classic. I take it everywhere with me still. Would buy an SSD upgrade within an instant. Would also love to see the return of backlit buttons like on the 3rd Gen. And a built-in phone speaker too :)

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I actually bought a new Classic *AFTER* buying my iPhone 5s, because iOS 7 destroys podcast support.

The Classic handles podcasts nicely still, the interface is still nice, and it's not bad being able to throw nearly as much video as I want on it and all my podcasts :)

I've had serious reliability issues with the last two gens of Nanos, so...I'd rather have the existing Classic that works than an updated model that's flakey, if those were the choices.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Love my Classic too, I hope Apple won't discontinue it, because for people who have tons of music and like nostalgia, the Classic is definitely the perfect choice. :)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I love the classic.

At some stage I would love to get my hand on all the previous generations of ipods produced.

My favourite is the U2 edition, the colour combo is cool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.