Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donl1150

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2014
I just bought a 2011 MacBook Air from a friend. When I start it up, it boots to a screen with a eBay icon and a Guest User icon. I can't get to the desktop. The eBay icon is password protected and the Guest user allows me to boot only into Safari to surf the web.

How can I get it to boot to the normal start screen? I presume I could do a factory reset but then I would lose the Microsoft Office for Mac that she bought and installed. Any thoughts?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Always do a reformat and reinstall when you buy a used computer, else you're asking for all sorts of problems.

Office wasn't hers to give you unless she included the product key.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
ask your friend for password or meet with him to remove it.
Or reinstall from fresh

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I just bought a 2011 MacBook Air from a friend. When I start it up, it boots to a screen with a eBay icon and a Guest User icon. I can't get to the desktop. The eBay icon is password protected and the Guest user allows me to boot only into Safari to surf the web.

How can I get it to boot to the normal start screen? I presume I could do a factory reset but then I would lose the Microsoft Office for Mac that she bought and installed. Any thoughts?

Take the MBA back to the friend, and ask him or her to change the password to 1234. Then you take it home and change the password to whatever you want.

Now since that friend left the password unchanged, I could imagine that the hard drive is full with the friend's personal data. So when the password gets changed, advice them to make sure that all personal data is gone.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Reinstall the OS and ask you friend to reinstall Office.

Or buy your own copy.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Just follow this to reset the password on the eBay labelled account to whatever you want.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Why are you guys helping out a thief? Who would be stupid enough to buy a laptop without making sure it wasn't password protected and if this person actually your "friend" they could easily change the pw for you

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why are you guys helping out a thief? Who would be stupid enough to buy a laptop without making sure it wasn't password protected and if this person actually your "friend" they could easily change the pw for you

Hmm... let's see. Maybe we are not ready to jump to conclusions and call someone a thief without having all the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.