Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 16, 2014, 02:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Details Expanded 4K Display Support Included in OS X 10.9.3

Apple today updated its 4K display support page following the OS X 10.9.3 update, detailing the enhancements that have been made to 4K display support.

Running OS X 10.9.3, the 2013 Mac Pro and the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro now support several new 4K displays, including the Sharp PN-K321, ASUS PQ321Q, Dell UP2414Q, Dell UP3214Q, and the Panasonic TC-L65WT600. Previously, only the Sharp and ASUS displays were officially supported.

There's a new section on display adjustments and Retina scaling, introduced to allow the resolution of 4K displays to be adjusted much like the display of the Retina MacBook Pro, improving the size and readability of text and other on-screen elements.

The revamped support page also notes that both the Mac Pro and the Retina MacBook Pro are now able to support 60 Hz 4K output for the five supported displays, using multi-stream transport, a feature previously limited to the Mac Pro. With the higher refresh rates, response times for tasks like game playing and video editing will be improved. Detailed instructions are given for enabling the option:
Quote:
MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013) or Mac Pro (Late 2013) also support 60 Hz displays using multi-stream transport (MST). These displays need to be manually configured to use MST. Follow the steps below to use the display's built-in controls to enable this feature.

- Sharp PN-K321: Choose Menu > Setup > DisplayPort STREAM > MST > SET
- ASUS PQ321Q: Choose OSD menu > Setup > DisplayPort Stream
- Dell UP2414Q and UP3214Q: Choose Menu > Display Setting > DisplayPort 1.2 > Enable
- Panasonic TC-L65WT600: Choose Menu > Display Port Settings > Steam Setting > Auto

Your Mac will automatically detect an MST-enabled display. However, your display may require a firmware update to support 60Hz operation. Please contact your display vendor for details. If your specific DisplayPort display is not listed above, check with the display's manufacturer for compatibility information.
First released yesterday, OS X 10.9.3 with enhanced support for 4K displays can be downloaded via the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Details Expanded 4K Display Support Included in OS X 10.9.3
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Sneakz
macrumors 65816

No official Samsung U28D590D support? Arguably the most popular based on its price.
Sneakz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:47 PM   #3
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

C'mon apple, 4k display already!
brock2621 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:48 PM   #4
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Great. Now I need a new 4k monitor!
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

Where does it mention the Dell at ? I can't find the reference.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:50 PM   #6
SirHaakon
macrumors 6502a

Do these only work on the newest Mac Pro and Retina MBP because of the Thunderbolt 2 support? Can one not push 4K over Thunderbolt (1)?
SirHaakon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:52 PM   #7
ericdyk
macrumors newbie

looking more and more like a retina imac release this year. Will probably be the 21" version. Old 21" version will be the cheaper version.
ericdyk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Houdini7
macrumors newbie

Just don't try more than 2 monitors!

Lots of issues supporting more than 2 monitors (of ANY resolution)

10.9.3 broke support for more than 2 monitors for Many people.
Houdini7 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:54 PM   #9
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Where the hell is the 4K Apple display already?
DTphonehome is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:54 PM   #10
surfingarbo
macrumors member

Samsung Details Expanded "5K" Display Support Included in blah blah blah
Old May 16, 2014, 02:55 PM   #11
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God

I just got, and the same day sent back my UP2414Q.

Screen is fantastic, but the input lag is terrible, it feels like the mouse is stuck in molasse. I tested it with this device:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....roducts_id=212

And it was around 33ms without game mode, closer to 20ms with, but you lose all calibration option by using game mode...

I hope Apple (Or anyone, I don't really care) make a 4k display that is as nice to see as it is responsive.

I'm not sure what the input lag is on the iMac, but at least I don't feel any delay when I move the mouse.
Old May 16, 2014, 02:57 PM   #12
dblissmn
macrumors regular

Looking like Thunderbolt 2 as the key, then.

Kind of astounding the amount of bandwidth involved.
dblissmn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:59 PM   #13
rdowty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoisC View Post
I just got, and the same day sent back my UP2414Q.

Screen is fantastic, but the input lag is terrible, it feels like the mouse is stuck in molasse. I tested it with this device:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....roducts_id=212

And it was around 33ms without game mode, closer to 20ms with, but you lose all calibration option by using game mode...

I hope Apple (Or anyone, I don't really care) make a 4k display that is as nice to see as it is responsive.

I'm not sure what the input lag is on the iMac, but at least I don't feel any delay when I move the mouse.
Did you enable DisplayPort 1.2? Its disabled by default and you're stuck at 30Hz.
rdowty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 02:59 PM   #14
thedarkhorse
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post
Do these only work on the newest Mac Pro and Retina MBP because of the Thunderbolt 2 support? Can one not push 4K over Thunderbolt (1)?
You can push 4k over TB1, just not at 60hz like this update adds on TB2 computers. TB1 is limited to 24 or 30hz at 4k
thedarkhorse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:01 PM   #15
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2621 View Post
C'mon apple, 4k display already!
They will make one.
Old May 16, 2014, 03:01 PM   #16
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowty View Post
Did you enable DisplayPort 1.2? Its disabled by default and you're stuck at 30Hz.
I did, I also tried with a PC that is display port 1.2 capable, input lag is caused by the processing inside the monitor. Input lag has nothing to do about refresh rate, it's the time between when the monitor receive the signal and when it display it.

Quote from TFTcentral about input lag:

Quote:
To avoid confusion with different terminology we will refer to this section of our reviews as just "lag" from now on, as there are a few different aspects to consider, and different interpretations of the term "input lag". We will consider the following points here as much as possible. The overall "display lag" is the first, that being the delay between the image being shown on the TFT display and that being shown on a CRT. This is what many people will know as input lag and originally was the measure made to explain why the image is a little behind when using a CRT. The older stopwatch based methods were the common way to measure this in the past, but through advanced studies have been shown to be quite inaccurate. As a result, more advanced tools like SMTT provide a method to measure that delay between a TFT and CRT while removing the inaccuracies of older stopwatch methods.

In reality that lag / delay is caused by a combination of two things - the signal processing delay caused by the TFT electronics / scaler, and the response time of the pixels themselves. Most "input lag" measurements over the years have always been based on the overall display lag (signal processing + response time) and indeed the SMTT tool is based on this visual difference between a CRT and TFT and so measures the overall display lag. In practice the signal processing is the element which gives the feel of lag to the user, and the response time of course can impact blurring, and overall image quality in moving scenes. As people become more aware of lag as a possible issue, we are of course keen to try and understand the split between the two as much as possible to give a complete picture.
Input lag is not much concern when you use your monitor for browsing/working/photography, but is very annoying when gaming.

Last edited by FrancoisC; May 16, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
FrancoisC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:04 PM   #17
SirHaakon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkhorse View Post
You can push 4k over TB1, just not at 60hz like this update adds on TB2 computers. TB1 is limited to 24 or 30hz at 4k
This article indicates that the 60hz support was just released, so I guess my indirect question remains: is Mac OSX itself fully compatible with 4K displays over Thunderbolt (1) as long as you're in 30hz mode, or is it still only limited to the Mac Pro and rMBP?
SirHaakon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:05 PM   #18
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Ok now I'm confused. Previously, Macrumors reported that 60hz support in 10.9.3 would only apply to the 15" Retina Macbook Pro. Now its just saying "Retina Macbook Pro". So does this apply to the latest 13" model or is some information being left off?
newagemac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:06 PM   #19
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligent View Post
They will make one.
I was hoping it would come at WWDC, but then why not wait to release 10.9.3 until then? So I don't think it's coming anytime soon. If not, why? Are there no panels that meet Apple's standards? I'm genuinely curious as to the holdup.
DTphonehome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:07 PM   #20
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdyk View Post
looking more and more like a retina imac release this year. Will probably be the 21" version. Old 21" version will be the cheaper version.
You can't effectively displace 27" with a 4K 21". 24" is probably the smallest practical size for the top imac.
Old May 16, 2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Peace
macrumors P6

The link in the article points to a page dated Jan. 7th..

Anybody see where the apple page mentions the Dell ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:09 PM   #22
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

hope WWDC brings 4k Thunderbolt display !
Old May 16, 2014, 03:16 PM   #23
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTphonehome View Post
Where the hell is the 4K Apple display already?
I don't think they will make a 4K display. They need a 5K display with the current tech or otherwise we'll have giant UI elements. That, or they need to update the OS for more resolution independence. The scaling method puts too much extra work on the GPU and the CPU.
Old May 16, 2014, 03:17 PM   #24
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Does anyone know what happens if you plug one of these displays onto an earlier Mac than the ones listed on that page? Like my 2012 iMac?

Will I get 4K resolution @ 30Hz? or will it not work at all?
zorinlynx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 03:20 PM   #25
MacLC
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post
The iGPU (integrated graphics) that Intel offers currently do not officially support above 2560x1440 which may be the problem.

In the past I have connected a monitor with higher-than-officially-supported resolution to a Mac with just fine. As both Ivy Bridge (HD4000) and Haswell (HD4200-HD5200) access up to 1.7GB of system RAM for graphics, there should be no problem with displaying 4K, unless the system disallows it.
There are Windows laptops with Haswell iGPUs running >1440P screens. Maybe the refresh rate is reduced, and perhaps Apple doesn't want "reduced refresh rates to ruin user experience" but there is no technical reason why, given 1.7GB memory and Thunderbolt 1's bandwidth that other Macs introduced since 2012 should not be able to push a 4K monitor.
MacLC is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion