Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I was wondering what the chances are that the 5.5" iPhone will have 128GB? i've also been thinking that if Apple are doing a 5.5" iPhone, that it might replace my iPad 3. I wonder if introducing a 5.5" will cannibalise the iPad for Apple. Or if people will still buy both. What are your opinions?

Of course this all speculation, it may be that Apple won't release a 5.5" or maybe they will, i'm hoping they do.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do not think that they will do a 128GB iPhone 6, no one here knows.

Even if they did it would not cut into their iPad business. My iPhone could never replace my iPads, the amount of memory would not make any difference in making that choice.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I was wondering what the chances are that the 5.5" iPhone will have 128GB? i've also been thinking that if Apple are doing a 5.5" iPhone, that it might replace my iPad 3. I wonder if introducing a 5.5" will cannibalise the iPad for Apple. Or if people will still buy both. What are your opinions?

Of course this all speculation, it may be that Apple won't release a 5.5" or maybe they will, i'm hoping they do.

No clue on the storage capacity, but a larger iPhone will not cut into iPad sales. If they release a 5.5" model I will buy it, keep my iPad Air and mot likely ADD an iPad Mini. While considerably larger than the current 4" shrimp, a 5.5" device is tiny compared to even an iPad mini.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Honestly they'll prolly just stick with 64 and want u to use the cloud services. More money for them

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I don't understand why people make it seem like the 5.5" iPhone is a certainty. But with regards to storage, I do hope there will be one >64gb.

----------

Honestly they'll prolly just stick with 64 and want u to use the cloud services. More money for them

That's the thing - you can't really store much in the cloud. I mean, you don't really get to pick and choose what goes in there. Your photos are limited to 1000 and that's only from the beginning of you using your Photo Stream. You can't store any document in there and then just grab it from your phone. The only purpose I have found for iCloud is back-up. I have 25GB of iCloud space for my iPhone and iPad back-ups since it does it automatically and can be restored on-the-go.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I think it is safe to say that there is 100% chances that there will NOT be a 128GB iPhone6. That secret would have already leaked.

How are you able to say this absolute certainty? iPhone leaks usually just deal with the overall design and any other cosmetic changes. As far as internal like storage space, RAM, processor is usually figured out after Apple announcement.

So, I think for right now there may be a chance that 128GB iPhone will be available and at the same time, it may not.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
The iPad to me needs the extra storage based on it's intended use. Watching movies, shows etc is suited for the iPad and this the 128 option. While u can do it on a iPhone, it's not ideal.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I don't understand why people make it seem like the 5.5" iPhone is a certainty. But with regards to storage, I do hope there will be one >64gb.

----------

That's the thing - you can't really store much in the cloud. I mean, you don't really get to pick and choose what goes in there. Your photos are limited to 1000 and that's only from the beginning of you using your Photo Stream. You can't store any document in there and then just grab it from your phone. The only purpose I have found for iCloud is back-up. I have 25GB of iCloud space for my iPhone and iPad back-ups since it does it automatically and can be restored on-the-go.

I'm not making it seem like a certainty, that's why I put in my original post about speculation. To be honest I would be disappointed if Apple didn't introduce at least 2 different sizes.
People like the choice, I would like to see at least a 4.7" and a 5" phone. If they go beyond that then great, but at least let us decide.

As for memory I currently use a 32GB in my iPhone and a 64GB for my iPad 3, which when the iPad Air 2 comes out I'll probably upgrade to a 128GB. I just wondered if a 128 phone would be popular and the chances of Apple doing one.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I don't think 5.5 inch iphone will cut ipad sales, but It will be nice to have screen size options. IMO if they make the base model 32gb they will probably make 128gb iphone. :)

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
I don't think they will because I don't think there is a large enough market for it to warrant the release of larger capacity. One of the "geniuses" at the Apple store I was recently at said 128GB iPads only make up of 2% of their iPad sales, and this is in a somewhat more affluent area. I personally keep more things on my 5s than an iPad but doubt people are willing to pay a huge premium for storage on a phone that is rumored to go up in price this year. I can manage the 64GB I have now, and don't see why someone would need more than that at once on a phone.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I don't think they will because I don't think there is a large enough market for it to warrant the release of larger capacity. One of the "geniuses" at the Apple store I was recently at said 128GB iPads only make up of 2% of their iPad sales, and this is in a somewhat more affluent area. I personally keep more things on my 5s than an iPad but doubt people are willing to pay a huge premium for storage on a phone that is rumored to go up in price this year. I can manage the 64GB I have now, and don't see why someone would need more than that at once on a phone.

Maybe it's because people watch things like movies and TV shows from iTunes in the cloud. I own the whole series of the Big Bang Theory, and just that show alone would go over the 128GB limit on an iPad, so its much easier to watch in the cloud on iTunes. At the moment my iPhone 5S is a 32GB, and i store all my music on it along with photos.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
if they really do a 5.5" iPhone they will put a 128gb version. Thats for sure

That would be interesting, if the 5.5" has a 128GB and Sapphire glass display, I think the price will rise to the $100 that was rumoured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.