Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
After one long trip with the DuraFolio

It's a great, protective case that is very functional. The "loose" molding around the volume buttons is noticeable (and maybe getting looser? hard to tell), but doesn't affect functionality. That said, for a $70 non-leather case, it should be much better/perfect, given the quality of the rest of the case. I know that the OP has had issues with the magnets on the case, but I haven't, but I haven't really been checking closely, either.

There aren't that many competitors in the very thin, very protective, very usable (and this is really an underrated attribute with this case) case category. Hopefully, if Speck updates the case, it will replace earlier units.

fareal

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
It's a great, protective case that is very functional. The "loose" molding around the volume buttons is noticeable (and maybe getting looser? hard to tell), but doesn't affect functionality. That said, for a $70 non-leather case, it should be much better/perfect, given the quality of the rest of the case. I know that the OP has had issues with the magnets on the case, but I haven't, but I haven't really been checking closely, either.

There aren't that many competitors in the very thin, very protective, very usable (and this is really an underrated attribute with this case) case category. Hopefully, if Speck updates the case, it will replace earlier units.

They used TPU near the volume area instead of the harder plastic intentionally. To make the buttons easier to press and to be able to get the device out of the case easier. This is what I was told when I mentioned the partial bezel showing in this area. My response was that this was fine to use TPU but the if you look straight on at this side of the case (look at from the side at the volume buttons) you notice a slight dip down where the TPU starts near the mute switch. I think this dip down is part of the reason the bezel is showing.

It didn't sound like they thought this was a problem. Actually I'm still waiting for a second response but they may or may not respond since they've already offered a replacement. But as OP mentioned the second case had the same problem.

If you feel there is a problem I would suggest contacting them via their online form.

By the way I haven't had issues with the magnets either, but I'm using the iPad mini version.

96hondaex

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
what would happen if we made a couple of slits in the tpu near the volume buttons? Anybody think that would help with the gap?

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
what would happen if we made a couple of slits in the tpu near the volume buttons? Anybody think that would help with the gap?

I'm not sure that cutting it would help, at least not on how it fit my Air.

I got my hands on a Smart Cover, and based on how it behaves I'm sure the magnets definitely wake my iPad too easily, and it's not an issue with my iPad itself. Also, based on a tip I got by PM, I went and looked at the Durafolio at Target. I was hoping maybe the gapping edge might be better in a different colorway, but the black/poppy red Target carries had the same issue.

I'm planning to make a video, will post a link once it's done.

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Here you go guys, video documenting the rubber and magnet issue on both the original case and the replacement that Speck sent. It's a bit long, but at the end I also show the Smart Cover on the same iPad to demonstrate the difference in the magnets. If you pay attention, you'll notice at least one time where the Speck case trips the iPad awake just with me spinning it in my hands. That's par for the course. I can't speak to the case for the Mini - maybe that one is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_RtYmzAyG8

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I think you may have gotten ones with defective or weak magnet issues in the cover. My mini retina's Durafolio does not shift like that, even when I try to shift it or manually slide it. Mine stays closed and the awake/sleep is not triggered at all unless I expressly open the cover. The strong magnets on mine seem to keep it from shifting out of place, thereby not triggering the sleep/awake. I assume weaker magnets in the case may lead to easy shifting of the cover.

But the loose area above the volume buttons are a problem in all, I think.

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
I think you may have gotten ones with defective or weak magnet issues in the cover. My mini retina's Durafolio does not shift like that, even when I try to shift it or manually slide it. Mine stays closed and the awake/sleep is not triggered at all unless I expressly open the cover. The strong magnets on mine seem to keep it from shifting out of place, thereby not triggering the sleep/awake. I assume weaker magnets in the case may lead to easy shifting of the cover.

But the loose area above the volume buttons are a problem in all, I think.

I'm not convinced that I managed to get 2 defective cases. It seems more likely that it's an issue of scale or design of the iPads themselves that might not be specific to the Durafolio. Playing in store, I thought that the mini retina's smart cover felt tighter than the air's.

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I hope Speck makes things right for you, Ladyciel. Maybe the Air version has design flaws in the magnet area compared to the mini retina versions. Can other Durafolio (Air, not mini retina) owners chime in on whether they have the shifting cover/magnet issues? There don't seem to be many user reviews yet on this case. Just a few on Speck and the iLounge review.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
All of the air versions are like this, I have tested both air and mini versions (multiple ones too) The warping around the volume buttons is the same on all models as well but less pronounced on the mini, this looks to be the way the mold of these cases was cast.

I returned my air version due to this but decided I could live with it on the mini due to it not being as bad (only the slight warping and no magnet issues).

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
All of the air versions are like this, I have tested both air and mini versions (multiple ones too) The warping around the volume buttons is the same on all models as well but less pronounced on the mini, this looks to be the way the mold of these cases was cast.

I returned my air version due to this but decided I could live with it on the mini due to it not being as bad (only the slight warping and no magnet issues).

So, just to clarify, you also noticed the magnet issue on the Air?

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Now that people have been using this cover for several weeks do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

I dropped my iPad Air yesterday from about 18" onto a wood floor. It's in a poetic folio, which seems to have protected it THIS time. I'd like to move it into a more protective case of the same general design in case my butterfingers allow this to happen again.

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
For the iPad Mini Retina Durafolio, yes I think the benefits outweigh any flaws. My only flaw is the slight looseness above the volume buttons. It does not bother me and for me it does not interfere with the function of the case at all. This flaw is prevalent in all of them, so if that is a dealbreaker do not bother getting it.

For a folio case that purports to provide military grade protection, it is slim and sleek. Quick and easy tilts, good button and speaker coverage, and well-designed overall. I have been enjoying this case for a few weeks now and it is my current favorite folio. My prior case was the Switcheasy Canvas.

Regarding the iPad Air Durafolio, I do not know. My experience is just with the mini retina Durafolio.

fareal

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
I agree with Kangda. Benefits outweigh the slight flaw around the volume buttons. Got a pink one for my wife's mini and a black one for my mini retina.

LadyCiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Now that people have been using this cover for several weeks do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

I dropped my iPad Air yesterday from about 18" onto a wood floor. It's in a poetic folio, which seems to have protected it THIS time. I'd like to move it into a more protective case of the same general design in case my butterfingers allow this to happen again.

If protection without seriously bulking up your Air is your #1 concern, then it might be worth it to you. The rubber will not be perfect around the volume buttons, exposing the bezel. How sensitive/obsessive you are about things like that (especially at this price point), will determine if you can live with it or not to get the drop protection. I probably could have lived with that, but I couldn't live with the auto-wake magnet issue. If I left auto-wake turned on, my battery life was noticeably shortened (from it waking itself repeatedly throughout the day). I tried using the case with auto-wake disabled, and then I was annoyed every time I opened or closed the case, reminded that I paid 70 bucks for features I couldn't use (annoyance came after momentary confusion as to why my iPad wasn't turning on...). So, whether lower battery life or disabled auto-wake are conditions you think are worth living with to get the protection is a question only you can answer.

I sent mine back. Waiting on a Kavaj Berlin from Amazon and will see how I like that. I figure that if speck fixes up the Durafolio and makes it worth re-buying (to me), at least the two cases would provide very different looks for different surroundings.

Edit: I should add that I DID use it for a couple of weeks before returning. I have mixed feelings about giving up the drop protection. But, I couldn't justify the expense when it caused me so much frustration/annoyance every time I used my iPad.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Worth it to me

I've used my Durafolio on an iPad Air for about 3 weeks, and it's worth it to me. Compared to the "robust case" competition, this is a great design. It doesn't add much bulk, seems to add a lot of protection, and the additional weight is manageable. The stand feature is very well implemented. I actually like the Apple Smartcase -- if you want precision manufacturing, that's what you are getting -- but the stand feature is fiddly at best, and there's only so much lightweight leather is going to protect an iPad.

Hopefully, Speck will get the molding around the volume button sorted out, but it doesn't affect functionality. I personally haven't had an issue with the magnets, but I suspect it may depend on how you use and carry your iPad. Perhaps Speck will fix that, too.

So many iPad cases seem to focus on protecting the front and back of the device, and the Durafolio has those covered in spades, but it also really does a great job protecting the edges of the device without adding a lot of bulk. As far as I can tell, it's about the only case out there that is this protective and this streamlined.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Logitech Big Bang

Looks like Logitech just threw its "thin-protective case" hat into the ring for both the iPad Air and iPad Mini. It's $100, but likely be discounted soon. Looks promising, if a little more industrial than the DuraFolio. One of the pictures on the website, however, is not really that confidence-inspiring!

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
Looks like Logitech just threw its "thin-protective case" hat into the ring for both the iPad Air and iPad Mini. It's $100, but likely be discounted soon. Looks promising, if a little more industrial than the DuraFolio. One of the pictures on the website, however, is not really that confidence-inspiring!

I just checked out Logitech's video of it with the little boy who drops the iPad, bounces a metal ball onto it, and then spills liquid onto it. Pretty funny video. I think the Speck Durafolio is a better looking case, versus the very two-toned look of the Logitech one. Not sure why the Logitech one is so darn expensive. $100 seems WAY steep for that case.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I just received the Speck Durafolio iPad Air case, and I've got two major issues with it. I'm wondering if it's a bady copy, or a broader issue. Anybody else get one to compare? I emailed Speck about the first issue (won't hear back until Mon I'm guessing) before realizing the second, but it's #2 that could be a total deal breaker.

1) The rubber looks stretched out/malformed around the volume buttons, so no matter how the iPad is put in the case doesn't sit flush against the bezel in that spot (looks bad, lowers protection). I suspect this is just a bad copy issue.

2) It triggers the auto-wake WAY too easily. The slack/slip in the front cover when closed doesn't bother me too much from a protection standpoint, but it's waking the ipad up just when I pick it up or shift my weight with it sitting beside me on the couch. It's easy to catch it doing this with the password screen turned off and sound turned on - it clicks when it goes back to sleep. I pick up the case...click. I turn it in my hand...click. Slide it into my bag...click. Sit it down....click. Ugh.

Yeah, I had the same issue with the auto-wake actually. nice case, but that was a no can do for me. I ended going back to my Apple Smart Cover / Caudabe Shell combo. I find that nothing beats the Apple Smart Cover when it comes to pure fit and finish. And the Caudabe is a nice, inexpensive complement to the back which protects enough. I think the two together were cheaper than the Durafolio. And frankly, I'm starting to think anything more protective is just a gimmick for most use cases.

Caudabe Shell is here if you want the link: http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-air-accessories/products/the-shell-air

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I purchased and returned this quickly. All the complaints here were quite accurate. Disappointing. Right now using the style folio, which I like but really looking for something leaner. Leaning towards the Invellop smart case.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I put off purchasing the Durafolio until the 'last moment' as I'll be doing some traveling soon and putting my beloved iPad in even more in harms way than it is at home. I say that because since November I've dropped it 3 times. My inexpensive poetic case has protected it so far, but it was time to order something less slippery and more protective.

First I ordered the Logitech Big Bang case from Best Buy because of the easy return process. I was so so so disappointed since the extra protective back is combined with a front cover that appears no sturdier than the one on my poetic case ($10 delivered). To add insult to injury the magnets are so weak that carrying the iPad at even a slight angle causes the cover to slip a lot. Then I went to the Speck website to order the durafolio for my iPad Air. I know I could have gotten it for $10 less on Amazon but for that $10 I got immediate shipping and the Target blue that I really wanted.

So far there are more pluses than minuses, but I'm holding on to the packing material for the time being.

Pluses: The cover is sturdy and the magnets on mine are strong enough to hold the cover in place. The typing position is very stable and also works well for holding the iPad in one hand while using the camera. The covering fabric is textured enough to provide a grip.

Minus: I do see a very slight gap around the volume buttons and I wonder if that will get better or worse if I use those buttons rather than on screen controls.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
So I guess they haven't fixed the bulging button area issue? Too bad. It's even mentioned in the reviews on Speck's site. They're undated, though, so there's no way to tell if any modifications have been made in later production runs.

Speck generally makes well-designed stuff, though their color palette isn't always to my liking.

I've been looking at a protective cases for a trip soon, and of the ones I've seen, the Speck is definitely the best looking.

The flimsy cover of the Logitech Big Bang also disappointed me, and the $100 list price is way too much. $80 street should result in a nicer case that doesn't resemble a molded rubber case with a thin cover tacked on like two disjointed pieces.

The STM Dux is a ugly duck, but is well made, and I like how the raised corners/edges serve both as protection and form a frame to keep help the cover in place and not shift. The cover has a wraparound magnetic tab as additional security. Logitech has a cute kid in their videos, but they can't match the video drop tests performed on the Dux. Having the lowest price also doesn't hurt.

My head is spinning from looking at so many cases recently, and it's disappointing to see that there isn't any one perfect case out there, whatever the intended purpose (cosmetic, protection, etc.)

It seems as if there is always one feature lacking, or a fatal flaw in otherwise nice cases. Incomplete coverage, bad cover, no sleep/wake...etc. It's always something.

I've also been looking at a nice leather case for regular daily driver usage, and some of the design decisions on otherwise magnificent cases is puzzling, especially around the camera/sleep button area.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
My Speck Durafolio has just the merest bulge around the volume buttons and It's completely covered by the front flap when closed. I'm keeping the shipping box just in case the front cover 'loosens' after use and doesn't stay closed as securely as it does today. Given how sturdy yet light the case is, how stable the typing position is, and how well the magnets are working now on my cover, I'm prepared to ignore the dreaded bulge.

The typing position is so stable I can use it for drawing, meaning it's not just the keyboard area that's well braced, but also the upper half. I use art apps like Procreate quite a bit, so this is an important feature for me.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Anyone buy one lately? Still having the bulge or magnet problems?

I have had the STM Dux for six months and am ready to go back to a folio style.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I've used my Durafolio for a month now. The bulge hasn't changed one way or the other, but the magnets are still functioning well.

I took my iPad on a trip and carried it with me every day for about 2 weeks. The only problem I had with the magnets was one day when I took the iPad out of my messenger bag and found that it was warm and the battery level was lower than expected. I was carrying it in a separate compartment in the messenger bag but since the compartment is unpadded and larger than the iPad, the iPad could get knocked around by items in the other compartment such as my wallet and eyeglass case that could push the cover out of alignment. I'm not sure any cover would work well in this situation unless it had a clasp of some sort, which I don't want.

I was at a workshop and needed to record what I was doing. The cover folded into typing position works very well for shooting photos. So I'm still a satisfied customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.