Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knockaround

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I have an old refurbished MacBook running OSX 10.6.8 and I can't for the life of me get it to start up. It's probably because of something I fussed with recently, but I can't figure out what it might be or how to fix it. Help?

So when I start up, it makes the start-up noise and gets past the gray loading screen, and then it stalls on the blue loading screen.

I have tried:
- rebooting in safe mode, but it won't get past the gray loading bar. It gets about a third of the way and quits.
- rebooting in single-user mode and repairing the disk with the fsck command. Every time I do that, it says it had to modify something the first try, but all subsequent tries are fine until I reboot my laptop and it starts all over.
- resetting the PRAM
- rebooting in single user mode and made a new administrator account, which works well until the screen where I actually create my new admin name & password. It just sits there talking to Apple forever
- rebooting from the install disk. I've repaired the disk and repaired the disk permissions, but everything comes up okay on the first try.

Sorry for so much info - I'm kind of out of ideas. I've backed up everything to an external HD in single-user mode, but I can't find the disc I used to upgrade the OSX from 10.5 to 10.6, so if I completely erase the hard drive I'll have to repurchase the disc to even use stuff like Chrome (because it no longer supports 10.5). It's cheaper than buying a whole new Mac, but does anybody have any other suggestions to try first?

Thank you so much!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have an old refurbished MacBook running OSX 10.6.8 and I can't for the life of me get it to start up. It's probably because of something I fussed with recently, but I can't figure out what it might be or how to fix it. Help?

So when I start up, it makes the start-up noise and gets past the gray loading screen, and then it stalls on the blue loading screen.

I have tried:
- rebooting in safe mode, but it won't get past the gray loading bar. It gets about a third of the way and quits.
- rebooting in single-user mode and repairing the disk with the fsck command. Every time I do that, it says it had to modify something the first try, but all subsequent tries are fine until I reboot my laptop and it starts all over.
- resetting the PRAM
- rebooting in single user mode and made a new administrator account, which works well until the screen where I actually create my new admin name & password. It just sits there talking to Apple forever
- rebooting from the install disk. I've repaired the disk and repaired the disk permissions, but everything comes up okay on the first try.

Sorry for so much info - I'm kind of out of ideas. I've backed up everything to an external HD in single-user mode, but I can't find the disc I used to upgrade the OSX from 10.5 to 10.6, so if I completely erase the hard drive I'll have to repurchase the disc to even use stuff like Chrome (because it no longer supports 10.5). It's cheaper than buying a whole new Mac, but does anybody have any other suggestions to try first?

Thank you so much!

It may be the hard drive failing, or a simply corrupted install. However, corruption to the point of failing in Single User Mode is usually a bad hard drive. Fortunately, a new hard drive or SSD (much faster) is rather affordable in the scheme of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.