Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The original "rainbow" Apple logo signs that were used at Apple's Cupertino, California headquarters are set to be auctioned off in June for somewhere between $10,000-$15,000, reports Design Taxi (via The Verge).

The signs will be auctioned off by British auction house Bonhams, with the larger, 46 x 49 inch version made out of foam and the smaller, 33 x 36 inch version made out of fiberglass. According to the auction, both signs were given to a longtime Apple employee after their removal in 1997.

apple_rainbow_signs_auction2.jpg
Two original exterior office building signs, approximately 46 x 49 x 1 1/2 inches and 33 1/2 x 36 x 6 inches, each with separate stem piece; the larger sign made of stiff foam with 6 vinyl applied colors; the smaller sign made of fiberglass backed with metal, vinyl applied colors; edgewear to both signs, some colors with slight pealing at transitions, larger sign with one color showing significant craquelure, both with stray marks and outdoor wear.
apple_office_rainbow.jpg
(Image credit: Glassdoor via Logo Design Love)​
In use from 1977 to 1998, Apple's rainbow logo was designed by graphic artist Rob Janoff. According to Janoff, the logo was designed in two weeks after an examination of physical cross-sections and real apples, with the multi-colored stripe design personally approved by Steve Jobs. Appearing on every product from the Apple II to the Newton PDA, the rainbow logo was retired in favor of a monochrome version, which is still in use today.

Article Link: Original 'Rainbow' Apple HQ Signs Up for Auction, Bidding Starts at $10,000

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Aaaahhh ... these are from the times, when the "company" still had some unspeakable Magic.

4_2.jpg

Today its all just flat, corporate ...

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
i miss those days. I will sound like a fan boy but you need to accept that Steve Jobs was the only human being who knew how to control everyone opinions including costumers. he was a master mind.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The rainbow Apple was fun, but the monochrome one looks sexier. Imagine replacing the monochrome logos on their current products with the rainbow ones... They looked great on products that were made of plastic and dull colors like beige, but they wouldn't look as good on say, a white or black iPhone, I don't think.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Aaaahhh ... these are from the times, when the "company" still had some unspeakable Magic.

And cheaper to produce today. The cost of the old Apple logo (on every Mac) I believe was one of the reasons Jobs dumped it.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
And cheaper to produce today. The cost of the old Apple logo (on every Mac) I believe was one of the reasons Jobs dumped it.

There are several reasons why the six colors were dropped. One of the main reasons was Steve felt that the brand was tarnished during the Spindler and Amellio years. Thus, the logo was literally white washed. Getting rid of the six colors did make production cost lower but that was secondary.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection or if the color selection was just coincidental.

----------

There are several reasons why the six colors were dropped. One of the main reasons was Steve felt that the brand was tarnished during the Spindler and Amellio years. Thus, the logo was literally white washed. Getting rid of the six colors did make production cost lower but that was secondary.

I may be mistaken, but I also thought it had to do wth the Apple Records deal related to the name, logo, and music.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

I've never heard of that. But it sounds very plausible. And a very interesting reason to do it. I know the costs were a factor too. But that being a 2ndary (but also very important factor) is plausible as well.

I didn't know those things you said. Thanks.

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection or if the color selection was just coincidental.

I like the theory that it is a tribute to Alan Turing, the guy who cracked the enigma code and was prosecuted and chemically castrated for being gay.
I doubt it's true but I'd love it if it was...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
I don't mean to be politically incorrect and hope not to offend anyone in anyway. However, when I see the old apple logo, it does remind me of the Gay Flag. It makes me wonder if there was any connection .

Sorry to disappoint you but according to Wikipedia the Rainbow Flag was designed in 1978 while this article states that the Rainbow Apple was created in 1977.

I guess they just loved rainbows in late '70's California.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

I think you are romanticizing a bit and filtering out all the unmagical years the multicolored logo reigned on product -- when LC IIIs, Performas, and IIVXs roamed the land. Most of the "magic" happened when Steve Jobs returned in '97. Even Steve Jobs recognized the multicolored logo was passé. The all-while logo was symbolic for a new era.

And if Apple wasn't anything but "corporate" during the Scully, Spindler, Ameilio years I don't know what the meaning of the word means. Those guys didn't really understand what made Apple Apple and ran the company like it was selling widget. They collectively ran the company into the ground.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

----------

I may be mistaken, but I also thought it had to do wth the Apple Records deal related to the name, logo, and music.

That was settled long before Steve came back to Apple. Also the "six colors" look started to look dated as there was a 70's retro fad in pop culture at the time. Many consider the updated logo a sign that Apple grew out of its corporate adolescence.

thewordiz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
Roi

a maxed out Mac Pro and 4K display?

In terms of "investment" I'd rather have the signs. The MP and certainly the 4K display will only depreciate, drop in price and be replaced by something in about 6 months. Actually less for the 4k display.

The signs, will probably continue to increase in value, it depends on what they finally sell for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.