Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 19, 2014, 07:51 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple and Samsung Negotiating Agreement to Settle Patent Disputes Out of Court

Apple and Samsung may be close to reaching an agreement that would settle all patent infringement lawsuits out of court, claims Kim Yoo-chul of The Korea Times (Via Fortune). This account follows a previous report from late last week that Apple and Google/Motorola have reached an agreement to drop all ongoing litigation between the two companies.

Samsung and Apple are reportedly in the early stages of negotiation with some key details on royalty payments still under negotiation.
Quote:
"Samsung has recently resumed working-level discussions with Apple and the key issue is how to dismiss all lawsuits," one source said, declining to be named.

[...]

"Some more time will be needed to fix terms of details such as royalty payments in return for using patents owned by each before reaching a full agreement."
Apple and Samsung recently faced off in a California court as part of the second US patent infringement lawsuit between the two companies. In the case that concluded earlier this month, the jury found that Samsung willfully infringed on three of the five Apple patents involved in the lawsuit and ordered the Korean company to pay Apple a sum of $119.6 million. Apple also was found guilty of infringing on one of Samsung's patents with damages totaling $158,400.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Negotiating Agreement to Settle Patent Disputes Out of Court
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 07:53 AM   #2
VulchR
macrumors 68000

A sad day for lawyers everywhere....
Old May 19, 2014, 07:58 AM   #3
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
It is past time that this happened. Get er' done!
Old May 19, 2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Jynto
macrumors 6502

This is almost TOO good to be true.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:59 AM   #5
maflynn

Hopefully this will happen, both companies probably spent more money in lawyer fees/court costs then what either ever gained.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:00 AM   #6
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

It would be great to see this resolved so that Apple can focus on developing new products.

Having said that, I will miss the mud slinging. Wait... no I won't.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:01 AM   #7
thirumalkumaran
macrumors member

Though its been said for a while...

But..

Steve jobs wouldn't have allowed this.....
Old May 19, 2014, 08:03 AM   #8
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Hopefully this will happen, both companies probably spent more money in lawyer fees/court costs then what either ever gained.
The outcome is less to do with money, more for personal pride and establishment. While Apple had every right to sue Samsung, one can't help but feel that there are double standards involved based upon the market share of a competing product.

Samsung haven't been the only company to emulate Apple design, but the nature of their successes (in particular, the Galaxy line) has clearly ruffled the board's feathers.
miniroll32 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:07 AM   #9
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Well, there are still all the hours involved in drafting the paperwork.

My guess is that the turning point was the last lawsuit. Apple reached the point of diminishing returns such that the lawsuits no longer paid for themselves. At the same time, they were still costly enough for Samsung that fighting on made no more sense, either. Add Google's inability to gain much traction in its lawsuits and so all parties have a motive to settle.

So patents won't be the thermonuclear battleground Steve Jobs thought they'd be. In the end Apple may get a nice little income stream for a few years, and maybe a chance to patch things up with the rest of Samsung.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
The outcome is less to do with money, more for personal pride/establishment. While Apple had every right to sue Samsung, one can't help but feel that there are double standards involved based upon the success and/or market share of a competing product.
I think the courts have been reluctant to allow software patents to be used as weapons to gain sales injunctions, and see royalties as the best solution. The decisions in cases involving Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Google, Microsoft and Nokia have mostly reflected that.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Sunday Ironfoot
macrumors regular

Quote:
You win the Internet!
Sunday Ironfoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:13 AM   #11
J.gerbes
macrumors member

Wait, isn't this all part of Samsung's infringe now > stall > pay later strategy?

What's the bet that no settlement can be reached, with many months trying wasted
J.gerbes is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:18 AM   #12
samcraig
macrumors G5

You know some people are going to be all

samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Though its been said for a while...

But..

Steve jobs wouldn't have allowed this.....
Of course he wouldn't! I mean afterall he never settled with Microsoft... oh, wait...
Tiger8 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:23 AM   #14
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.gerbes View Post
Wait, isn't this all part of Samsung's infringe now > stall > pay later strategy?

What's the bet that no settlement can be reached, with many months trying wasted
Since Apple already made an agreement with Google, I'm wondering if Samsung realized they needed to do the same as Google would not protect them any more. They also can't blame Google like they did with the previous trial.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Razeus
macrumors 68040

So Samsung's strategy really does work.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:27 AM   #16
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Excellent to hear.
ghostface147 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:29 AM   #17
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Fisticuffs, I hope.
Old May 19, 2014, 08:32 AM   #18
John.B
macrumors 68040

Samsung is going to do what they want anyway, regardless of any agreements that may or may not be in place. It's just how they do business.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:32 AM   #19
Mark Booth
macrumors 65816

If there's a cross licensing deal as part of the agreement, I hope Apple doesn't license the Samsung patent for making crappy products. Nor the one that causes the corporate culture to be one of steal first and fight court battles later!

Mark
Mark Booth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:33 AM   #20
thirumalkumaran
macrumors member

Start Stealing....

Great news...Embrace Stealing...

No wonder the world will end soon....
Old May 19, 2014, 08:40 AM   #21
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Exactly Samsung's tactic, as said by a previous article on the subject.

Fight until cannot fight more, then settle before getting stuck with a much bigger court imposed fine.
PracticalMac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:43 AM   #22
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Exactly Samsung's tactic, as said by a previous article on the subject.

Fight until cannot fight more, then settle before getting stuck with a much bigger court imposed fine.
Of course some people are forgetting one thing. If it wasn't in Apple's best interest to settle. Why would they? Why not let it play out.

Personally I think this is a good thing for both parties involved. They should have settled many months and trials ago.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:46 AM   #23
captain cadet
macrumors regular

Quote:
They probably want a change from the legal battles of these companies - they probably want something less stressful than having a multi-billion pound company on there backs
Old May 19, 2014, 08:58 AM   #24
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Of course some people are forgetting one thing. If it wasn't in Apple's best interest to settle. Why would they? Why not let it play out.

Personally I think this is a good thing for both parties involved. They should have settled many months and trials ago.
Didn't say it was good or bad, its just how Samsung does business.

Copy, get sued, fight fight fight, loose, appeal, loose, settle just before settling slapped with huge court ordered fine.
PracticalMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 08:58 AM   #25
eddieaus
macrumors regular

great, now Samsung phones will have a price hike, as if they are not already over priced.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion