Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Taiwan's Economic Daily News as reported by GforGames, Apple may be turning to Taiwnese supplier Innolux to provide display panels for its 4.7-inch iPhone 6 model. Apple reportedly has contracted with LG Display and Japan Display Corporation for the 4.7-inch panels, with Innolux added as a third partner to support the expected high demand for a larger iPhone model.

innolux-logo.jpg
Apple may have been negotiating with Samsung and Sharp as well as Innolux for the panels, but the Cupertino company was said to have rejected offers from Samsung and Sharp.
Allegedly, the reason why Apple refused to collaborate with Samsung is because the Korean tech giant is too much of a direct competitor. As far as Sharp goes, Apple turned down the said company, following the analysis of the first wave of sample panels, which appear to be suffering from "Moire" issues.
Innolux has a long history of working with Apple on display technology, with the company reportedly suppling panels for previous Apple products such as the iPad 2 and the iPad 3.

It's not surprising that Apple would bring in a third supplier for the iPhone 6 as demand is reportedly strong for a larger iPhone model, with Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White calling the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 launch "a special one" for Apple. Apple's next iPhone model is expected to arrive in two display sizes, with a 4.7-inch model likely debuting this fall, and the 5.5-inch possibly landing several months later.

Article Link: Apple Allegedly Tapping Innolux as 3rd iPhone 6 Display Supplier Ahead of Expected High Demand

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Pardon my ignorance but - never heard of them. What's their pedigree? Show me other products they've been involved in so I know I'm paying for a decent product.

I trust Apple but worry that spreading the work may reduce the quality.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Pardon my ignorance but - never heard of them. What's their pedigree? Show me other products they've been involved in so I know I'm paying for a decent product.

I trust Apple but worry that spreading the work may reduce the quality.

According to this article iPad 2 and 3.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I can't be the only one with that sinking realisation that there really will not be a 4 inch iPhone this time round.

I'm glad for those that have championed a bigger screen finally getting what they want. But I really have no need for the bigger screen on my phone.

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
I can't be the only one with that sinking realisation that there really will not be a 4 inch iPhone this time round.

I'm glad for those that have championed a bigger screen finally getting what they want. But I really have no need for the bigger screen on my phone.

I'm with you on this one. I have an iPad for that.

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014

They are rumors. While 4.7" seems likely, nobody has said 4" will not get produced. Plus there is nothing wrong with the 5s or 5c.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
So the "inconsistency with displays" is going to hit the iPhone too? Need an app to figure out what display I have, is going to be the hot topic when the phone is released!

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
They are rumors. While 4.7" seems likely, nobody has said 4" will not get produced. Plus there is nothing wrong with the 5s or 5c.

Oh definitely.

I still hold some hope that it'll be an iPad Air/iPad mini type situation with the next batch of iPhones.

It's the complete dearth of 4" iPhone rumours which is starting to make me wonder if they are going to ditch it completely. 4.7" and 5.5" rumours is all we've had. It'd be great if the rumours were 4", 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones.

I currently own the 5s and it's a solid handset. But it'd be nice to stay on the cutting edge in terms of battery optimisations, general performance, camera quality etc. without potentially having to move up in size.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

I am trying to warm up to the 4.7 as the mock up lead me to believe that they are able to still work with one hand. But I agree the loss of the 5 form factor would be a huge loss for many of us one-handers. Hopefully they will keep the 5 form factor along with the whatever the 6 form factor ends up being.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA

I felt the same way with my 4S, but decided to go for the 5 when it came out anyway. It grew on me; and while I still don't think you really NEED a bigger screen, I'm glad I got it.

I agree that we don't really need a yet bigger screen, but I'm going to give it a try. I'm betting it will grow on me just like th 5 did.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
OK, screens from 3 different suppliers. Who's going to get the bad ones?

Yeah , this is bad news. Going to hold off until they figure out which which vendor has ghosting, horrible color saturation, or really bad backlight bleeding.

Maybe I'm just biased. Getting bored with apple , thinking windows phone.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
And your not bored digging Apple rumors?

LOL never!! Na, I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do right now from different clients. Switching an eco system is the best procrastinator in the world. I still love Apple and always will because they make their $$$ of selling products that people like and choose to buy.

MR is always fun. So, probably won't switch phones.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
That makes no sense dude.. every company in the world fits into that description..

Google is neither a software or a hardware company. They make all their $$$ off ads. They create free services to get as many people on them as possible for free and get them to have the best brand recognition you can think of "google it", "I'll check google maps", etc; then they advertise on them when people can no longer leave them (maps for instance on android used to not have ads). Android is just a great ad channel for Google, thus it exists. They did not make it because they wanted to compete in the market. I'm not even sure they make money off Android itself, it's open source. That's why Google doesn't even have a support number you can call, they don't care. They are not a consumer company.

So no, not every company in the world fits that description. In fact, quite the opposite, most do NOT. I can continue with Dell, HP, etc... and tell you all about how you can make a business off making mediocre products and still make millions if you have a decent market share that you got from the beginning of the business when you did make quality products. But that won't make sense for you either ... "dude"

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Google is neither a software or a hardware company. They make all their $$$ off ads. They create free services to get as many people on them as possible for free and get them to have the best brand recognition you can think of "google it", "I'll check google maps", etc; then they advertise on them when people can no longer leave them (maps for instance on android used to not have ads). Android is just a great ad channel for Google, thus it exists. They did not make it because they wanted to compete in the market. I'm not even sure they make money off Android itself, it's open source. That's why Google doesn't even have a support number you can call, they don't care. They are not a consumer company.

So no, not every company in the world fits that description. In fact, quite the opposite, most do NOT. I can continue with Dell, HP, etc... and tell you all about how you can make a business off making mediocre products and still make millions if you have a decent market share that you got from the beginning of the business when you did make quality products. But that won't make sense for you either ... "dude"

Googles customers are the advertisers, they sell the advertising space to those consumers because it's something that they want to buy. So yes every company in the world sells products it's consumers want to buy...even Dell Hp etc do that too....If people didn't like and buy a businesses product then it would go out of business.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Googles customers are the advertisers, they sell the advertising space to those consumers because it's something that they want to buy. So yes every company in the world sells products it's consumers want to buy...even Dell Hp etc do that too....If people didn't like and buy a businesses product then it would go out of business.

Notice I used the word "consumer". Consumer != businesses. Consumers don't pay google to advertise and what google "sells" you are the ads... or more accurately you are paying google with your privacy, allowing them to brainwash you with consistent ad-placement and track you through the internet for analytics to see how they can optimize ads in your face so that you are more likely to accidentally or purposefully follow links.

I'm not sure how you think an apple iPhone, computer or any electronic device is the same thing as an ad? My point was that Apple develops phones (what we are talking about in this forum) and tries to get people to love and buy them because that's their primary business. UNLIKE Google (as an example) that focuses on selling ads to businesses and tries to make phones/software for their primary business (ad-networks). Not sure why you changed the scope of what I said to engulf every possible product or service in the world?

This is not a very complex idea. The previous poster did the same thing, took a simple idea and blew it out to include all things under the sun. Why?

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014

Ok, I'll change it to "any business that sells a product" then.. is that better for you.. Mr picky... Unless of course you think folk go and buy dell and hp because they are forced to, not because they choose to..
DUDE....

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Ok, I'll change it to "any business that sells a product" then.. is that better for you.. Mr picky... Unless of course you think folk go and buy dell and hp because they are forced to, not because they choose to..
DUDE....

If you change it to "any business that sells a product" then you are saying the opposite of what i'm saying and we are back to the original response of, stop changing the scope of what I'm saying. Jeez, you can't change what a person is saying and then say "it doesn't make sense".

You are right, what you changed it to doesn't make sense. I just don't get how you don't understand business classifications, what a target audience is as well as primary business roles in these companies. HP or Dell or google are not forcing you to buy anything, or use any of their services. That's not the point.

Aggr, I'm done. This is like trying to explain statistics to a pre-algebra student (analogy, please don't change it to say that this has anything to do with statistics and then say that doesn't make sense).

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Talk about moving the goalposts... U claim to like apple because they make products that folk like and choose to buy.. so do you like Samsung then?..or Sony or any other OEM, because the sheer fact that they are still in business is that they are making stuff that folk like and.choose to buy... Jeez.. this isn't rocket science...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.