Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Groupon today announced Gnome, a new point-of-sale system that integrates with the company's network of daily local deals. The iPad-based system provides a payment processing system as well as customer management tools for merchants that offer Groupon deals.

Gnome_w_Stand.jpg
In addition to serving as an all-in-one cash register solution, Gnome allows customers to redeem their purchased Groupon offers either manually through the system or automatically if they have the Groupon app installed on their smartphone. Merchants can then access this customer data and use it to help improve future deals. It also improves the overall experience by minimizing those unfortunate occurrences when a user enters a business to redeem a deal, and the business is not equipped to process the offer.
"When it's complete, Gnome will serve as an operating system for merchants to run their entire operation and enable them to create real-time promotions that bring customers into their business when they need them the most," Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky said in a release. "Gnome is an important step towards our long-term mission of creating a world where merchants are constantly connected to the Groupon local commerce platform."
Extending beyond Groupon vouchers, the POS system also can accept traditional payments, similar to Square's Square Register. This Gnome system provides emailed receipts, calculates taxes, and helps manage inventory for the retailer. According to Re/Code, Groupon is charging 1.8 percent plus 15 cents for Visa and Mastercard transactions, along with a $10 monthly Gnome fee, for the POS service.

Groupon Gnome is already in use by select retailers with "tens of thousands" of merchants expected adopt the system in the coming months.

Article Link: Groupon Introduces Gnome, an iPad-Powered Point-of-Sale System

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
Nice.
I always love to use the iPod touch point of sale devices they use at the apple store. They are the best advertising for how useful their produces are.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have used from the end user perspective the squareregister and very much liked the experience. Many folks that I have spoken to from the merchant perspective have also spoken very well about the Square system. I do not see anything here other than being able to use a groupon code with the system. Although that is a nice integration, it will be interesting to see if that is enough to draw merchants to this system.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
IAMAL - I wonder if this product name legally conflicts with the Gnome desktop environment.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
yeah, it looks great. however some countries - like the one i live in - have pretty strict regulations when it comes to POS/cash registers.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014

The GNOME project also capitalises the whole word as it stands for 'GNU Network Object Modelling Environment' which is different to what Groupon is doing.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
IAMAL - I wonder if this product name legally conflicts with the Gnome desktop environment.

Doubt it as its a different use. Although they could argue it is a desktop-like device.

----------

Anyways - I can't see these doing that well once you get over the looks of it. yuck.

I think Square has a much cleaner POS setup. Although they need to do better in terms of transaction fees. Their two models right now are just too high. Granted, for a person who does less than $1000 a month in transactions, I think the 2.75% is fine as Square needs to maintain some profit for very-low volume users. But for those doing a lot, they really need to be more in line with other merchants.

afinelion

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Just a Square copycat with Groupon added in. I really wish companies would detect when they have a complementary product and just either merge or come up with a unique idea instead of diluting the merchant payments/point of sale space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.