Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
After 2 years of using a Xperia u, then an s3,note 2 and finally an s4, since I had an iPad for more than a year and was liking the app stability, quality and exclusivity better than on android I decided to sell my Samsung galaxy s4 and buy an iPhone 5s.

So I did, and I can say it's been a wonderful experience so far. I can do much more with it (app wise) even having a smaller screen, the quality and stability and compatibility of the apps, it's leagues better than any android phone unless you just want to make calls but then again, if that's just what you do, you don't need a smartphone anyway.

By the way the App Store seems much more organized and professional than googles play store.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
After 2 years of using a Xperia u, then an s3,note 2 and finally an s4, since I had an iPad for more than a year and was liking the app stability, quality and exclusivity better than on android I decided to sell my Samsung galaxy s4 and buy an iPhone 5s.

So I did, and I can say it's been a wonderful experience so far. I can do much more with it (app wise) even having a smaller screen, the quality and stability and comparability of the apps, it's leagues better than any android phone unless you just want to make calls but then again, if that's just what you do, you don't need a smartphone then.

By the way the App Store seems much more organized and professional than googles play store.

Glad you're enjoying the 5s. I love mine. The stability is great and the apps are second to none. Really it's preference if u prefer android or iOS but I've always felt the overall build quality was better on iPhones. And apple support is a plus.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I switch back and forth between Android and iOS all the time. I love the customization of Android. However, the reliability of the iPhone 5s is second to none. The apps are great, and when you have other Apple products it just makes sense to have an iPhone, they play great together! I actually just picked up my second iPhone 5s tonight and it feels great to have it again(coming from a Google Nexus 5).

wookiee2cu

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
I actually just switched to the Galaxy S5 after being with the iPhone since the 3G model (3G, 4 then 5). I've only had one issue with the Galaxy S5 (was solved by doing a reset) and really like the customization and the large screen. The iPhone is a great product, iOS, app store but I don't find myslelf limited by the Google Play store either. I think I was just ready for something different after 5 years of being with the iPhone, I don't think you can go wrong with any device.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I actually just switched to the Galaxy S5 after being with the iPhone since the 3G model (3G, 4 then 5). I've only had one issue with the Galaxy S5 (was solved by doing a reset) and really like the customization and the large screen. The iPhone is a great product, iOS, app store but I don't find myslelf limited by the Google Play store either. I think I was just ready for something different after 5 years of being with the iPhone, I don't think you can go wrong with any device.

That's the trouble, any new phone still feels very similar to your old phone. It's like getting a brand new version of the exact same car every two years.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Both platforms have great features. A lot of people I know have android phones but iPads to try to have the best of both worlds.

KevinMac

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Traverse City, Michigan

So I did, and I can say it's been a wonderful experience so far. I can do much more with it (app wise) even having a smaller screen, the quality and stability and comparability of the apps, it's leagues better than any android phone unless you just want to make calls but then again, if that's just what you do, you don't need a smartphone then.

I too have switched to an iPhone from an Android and agree with your statements.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014

Just curious, which iPhone apps are you talking about which seem to do so much more than their Android counterparts?

I haven't found a single app need not able to be filled on both sides.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Just curious, which iPhone apps are you talking about which seem to do so much more than their Android counterparts?

I haven't found a single app need not able to be filled on both sides.

Photo editing apps, music making apps, word processing apps, and pretty much everything else, including games, run better on iOS and most are exclusive to iOS .

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Photo editing apps, music making apps, word processing apps, and pretty much everything else, including games, run better on iOS and most are exclusive to iOS .

This is not answering the question. :)

I find that most mainstream apps have better functionality in Android. So to me this is better. To name a few: Dropbox, Facebook, Evernote, Whatsppp, Line and all Google apps are more functional than ios equivalent.

Plus Android has apps in many functionality/application areas that are just not available/possible on iOS.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014

I meant to ask for specific examples of apps running better than their Android counterparts ;)

It seems like if someone says one platforms apps are so much better then the other then they simply aren't looking enough for the good apps.

For example, Pages on iOS can be a really nice looking word processing app... yet on Android you could easily work with things like Polaris Office or hell even Microsofts own Office Mobile app.

As for game exclusivity I'm not sure as I can't stand the $#&! heap smartphone games are becoming. I'd much rather play real console games on my phone with game emulators which are allowed on the Google Play Store yet banned from the iOS app store. So take for example an exclusive game like Oceanhorn : nice game, but would I really want to play that over Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past? No way!

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I meant to ask for specific examples of apps running better than their Android counterparts ;)

It seems like if someone says one platforms apps are so much better then the other then they simply aren't looking enough for the good apps.

For example, Pages on iOS can be a really nice looking word processing app... yet on Android you could easily work with things like Polaris Office or hell even Microsofts own Office Mobile app.

As for game exclusivity I'm not sure as I can't stand the $#&! heap mobile games are becoming. I'd much rather play real console games on my phone with game emulators which are allowed on the Google Play Store yet banned from the iOS app store. So take for example an exclusive game like Oceanhorn : nice game, but would I really want to play that over Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past? No way!

Well, Skype seems to run much better and have more animations than on android for example , and Polaris office simply is not on the same level as pages.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
This is not answering the question. :)

I find that most mainstream apps have better functionality in Android. So to me this is better. To name a few: Dropbox, Facebook, Evernote, Whatsppp, Line and all Google apps are more functional than ios equivalent.

Plus Android has apps in many functionality/application areas that are just not available/possible on iOS.

Right? I mean the Dropbox app is a perfect example of an iOS app extremely limited compared to its Android brethren. With the iOS version. You can only upload photos and videos. Yet with the Android version you can upload any file on your phone. Let's say I take a voice recording of my class lecture and want to upload it to Dropbox for a friend in class, which phone do you think is going to limit me: iPhone or Android?

Well, Skype seems to run much better and have more animations than on android for example , and Polaris office simply is not on the same level as pages.

I can make Skype calls just fine on my Note 3. Did one just earlier today with a buddy of mine in Japan who owns an iPhone. Not sure what you mean by 'runs better'.

The brush off of Polaris Office as a document editor is very vague but ok, what about Microsoft Office Mobile?

To me it kind of just seems like people on both sides like to puff out their chest and talk about how much greener the grass is on the their side, whereas I like to take a step back approach and know that whichever side I'm on I can find great apps for what I need to do.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
2 months after going from Android to iPhone

Right? I mean the Dropbox app is a perfect example of an iOS app extremely limited compared to its Android brethren. With the iOS version. You can only upload photos and videos. Yet with the Android version you can upload any file on your phone. Let's say I take a voice recording of my class lecture and want to upload it to Dropbox for a friend in class, which phone do you think is going to limit me: iPhone or Android?

I can make Skype calls just fine on my Note 3. Did one just earlier today with a buddy of mine in Japan who owns an iPhone. Not sure what you mean by 'runs better'.

The brush off of Polaris Office as a document editor is very vague but ok, what about Microsoft Office Mobile?

To me it kind of just seems like people on both sides like to puff out their chest and talk about how much greener the grass is on the their side, whereas I like to take a step back approach and know that whichever side I'm on I can find great apps for what I need to do.

Where is argus and papa Sangre and FaceTune, argus and a load of other non gaming iOS exclusive apps? :p

By the way the other day I installed the face mixing booth apps that exist for both iOS and android on my mother's Samsung tab pro 8.4 and it was crashing left and right in it. Also the bank account app was no longer working on the tab pro after an update.

Android apps have to worry with too much fragmentation to run well on all devices. The same thing doesn't happen on iOS where the number of devices that have to be made compatible is much lower.

I was not talking about the quality of the Skype calls but the way the app was polished with more animations and etc.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

While the stock Apple iOS apps might not have Dropbox integration, there are many third party ones that do similar things and have Dropbox integration that can allow you to place something in Dropbox or get something from it. But of course that's one of the bigger differences between iOS and Android in general--the sandboxing and "walled garden" approach to apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.