Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 20, 2014, 10:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Beats Out Apple as World's Most Valuable Brand

Google has usurped Apple as the world's most valuable brand in Millward Brown's annual BrandZ study*of global brands*(via The Telegraph). This comes after the survey had named Apple the top brand for the past three years.

The study saw Apple's brand value decline 20%, from $185 billion to $147 billion, while Google saw a 40% increase, from $113 billion to $158 billion. Samsung also grew, going from the 30th most valuable brand to the 29th with a 21% jump, growing from $21 billion to $25 billion.

The big question for Apple, according to Millward Brown, is whether Apple is still redefining technology:
Quote:
Google has knocked Apple off its perch after three years at the top. Apple is performing well but is it still redefining technology for consumers?
Overall, Brown noted that the study, which has four technology brands in the top five, reiterates how integral technology is to the lives of people.

Among other technology brands, Microsoft jumped into the top five with a 20% increase, going from $69 billion to $90 billion, while IBM stayed put at number three with a 4% decrease. The largest increase in technology came from Facebook, who jumped 10 places to 21 with a 68% increase, going from $21 billion to $35 billion.

While "brand value" studies can be difficult to compare, because of the use of differing methodologies used by those who gather the data can lead to much different results, they can be a good look at marketing and branding trends.

Article Link: Google Beats Out Apple as World's Most Valuable Brand
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 10:34 PM   #2
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

Umm... hard to digest stuff but whatever
iLoveiTunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Revearti
macrumors member

Doh!
Revearti is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 10:34 PM   #4
ethanlee
macrumors regular

How is Microsoft even on this list? As far as I can see, they're not exactly "redefining technology for consumers."

Old May 20, 2014, 10:34 PM   #5
okboy
macrumors regular

I guess on account of the successful launch of Google... uh...
okboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 10:35 PM   #6
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Apple thrives when it's the underdog, this is okay with me.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:35 PM   #7
goobot
macrumors 601

How much of googles revenue comes from search? Also i wonder if the iWatch can change this back into apples favor.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:36 PM   #8
kiancheong
macrumors newbie

Apple is doomed!
kiancheong is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 10:40 PM   #9
surfingarbo
macrumors member

McDonalds clearly need to start making a tablet computer.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:50 PM   #10
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingarbo View Post
McDonalds clearly need to start making a tablet computer.
Totally, the McSlate will be huge.
dannyyankou is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 10:51 PM   #11
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

As sad as this news makes me, this might be an additional kick Apple needs to start kicking themselves back into high gear again. Even as a loyal enthusiast I can see they've been coasting by the past few years.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:53 PM   #12
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

I think Apple's (rumored) acquisition of Beats and their new products coming out this fall will help them retake the lead.
dannyyankou is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 11:04 PM   #13
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

I don't want Apple to be the top dog. I want them to always in second place. That way, it gives them a reason to make more incredible products.
lincolntran is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 11:05 PM   #14
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

This is exactly why a few months ago I said that the way MacRumors chooses to write the headlines is stupid, yes, when almost on every article you write you talk about companies and personal names you can't use a capital letter to every single word in the headline.

"Google Beats Out Apple"

Please tell me that wasn't on purpose and misleading when all they have posted in the past few day is about Apple buying Beats.

"Google beats out Apple"

That's the way to go, for me at least.

Plus, IBM on third place when their core business is to companies and not people, I don't think that's accurate.
nikicampos is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 11:10 PM   #15
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Not sure what this all means, but I know one thing...All Apple has to do is release a bigger screen iPhone and toss in a few customizable bells and whistles for iOS 8 and it chops Google and Samsung's legs out from under them. Apple's hardware design still dominates it's competitors on mobile devices and there are still no PC manufacturers that come close to the Mac's fit and finish. All of this Apple hatred has been brewing based on screen size and lack of customization in iOS. If those things change, what does Android and Samsung have left other than a hunk of plastic, carrier logos, and bloatware?
Old May 20, 2014, 11:12 PM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors G3

What exactly did Google do in the past year to warrant a 40% increase in brand value? And how come their numbers are so wildly different than Interbrand's?

http://www.interbrand.com/en/best-gl...rand-View.aspx
Old May 20, 2014, 11:14 PM   #17
Naaaaak
macrumors regular

An advertising company beat a fashion company.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:22 PM   #18
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

How is IBM at 3rd place? It is a mostly enterprise-focused brand nowadays, and most new consumers don't even know what IBM is.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:39 PM   #19
mojolicious
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanlee View Post
How is Microsoft even on this list? As far as I can see, they're not exactly "redefining technology for consumers."

Looking further down the Top 10 I'd say that McDonald's, Coca Cola and Marlboro aren't exactly "redefining burgers / sugar water / cancer for consumers", either.

I don't understand brand valuation. The dominance of Google certainly makes it a valuable company, but does ubiquity automatically make a brand valuable?

Is there a friendly brand manager out there who can help us out?
mojolicious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 11:41 PM   #20
MacrumoursUser
macrumors regular

Looks like BS to me, but who cares anyway. Dogs are barking and a caravan is still moving.
MacrumoursUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 11:44 PM   #21
Wishbrah
macrumors regular

But who was iWatch, iPhone 6, Apple TV, Ahrendts, and Iovine?

Just things to come.
Wishbrah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 12:04 AM   #22
Constable Odo
macrumors regular

This ranking appears to be the end of Apple as we know it. It's all because Apple doesn't have Apple Glass to challenge Google Glass. The world has seen the future and Apple is nowhere to be found.

/s
Constable Odo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 12:12 AM   #23
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Not sure what this all means, but I know one thing...All Apple has to do is release a bigger screen iPhone and toss in a few customizable bells and whistles for iOS 8 and it chops Google and Samsung's legs out from under them. Apple's hardware design still dominates it's competitors on mobile devices and there are still no PC manufacturers that come close to the Mac's fit and finish. All of this Apple hatred has been brewing based on screen size and lack of customization in iOS. If those things change, what does Android and Samsung have left other than a hunk of plastic, carrier logos, and bloatware?
I hope everyone who reads MacRumors reads this post.

That is literally ALL Apple has to do. I don't think people realize how many people switched to Android ONLY because it has a bigger screen. MILLIONS of people!

The second thing is customization.

If Apple just does both of those things, iOS 8 + iPhone 6 are going to blow everything else away. And of course Apple has the best designs.

I can't wait.
newyorksole is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 12:14 AM   #24
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiancheong View Post
Apple is doomed!
Yup you said it because is now being called the 2ND place company in the world they are completely screwed. It's not like there are thousands of company's lower then 2nd
The Doctor11 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 12:14 AM   #25
thaifood
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikicampos View Post
This is exactly why a few months ago I said that the way MacRumors chooses to write the headlines is stupid, yes, when almost on every article you write you talk about companies and personal names you can't use a capital letter to every single word in the headline.

"Google Beats Out Apple"

Please tell me that wasn't on purpose and misleading when all they have posted in the past few day is about Apple buying Beats.

"Google beats out Apple"

That's the way to go, for me at least.

Plus, IBM on third place when their core business is to companies and not people, I don't think that's accurate.
It depends what styling guide the author has been taught or what the website postulates when writing articles. However, generally one does not capitalise articles, coordinating conjunctions and prepositions unless they are the first word of the title. All other types of words tend to be capitalised.
thaifood is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion