Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Apple thrives when it's the underdog, this is okay with me.

Same here. Besides this just being the opinion of one research company, who cares about those numbers as long as these tech giants keep producing beautiful, well-designed and useful products to enchant us.

Personally I kind of miss the Apple of ~10-15 years ago, when they were the underdog. Underdogs have more incentive (by virtue of being 'hungry') to come up with mind-blowing products, and are free from the pressures that 'expectations' by consumers for continually outdoing themselves, bring to those at the top.

Not to say that as we speak, there aren't thousands of people at Apple working at the next great products; I'm sure there are. But there's always that possibility of complacency insidiously creeping in, at companies that are at the top in their field.

As a famous person once said: "Stay hungry, stay foolish"; we can only hope that Apple will at least heed the first part of that advice!

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Ah yes, as an underdog Apple will now invest in robotic companies, selfdriving cars, fiber internet and wireless services, etc...

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
As sad as this news makes me.....

honestly?.. has your idevice stopped working?. Have the Apple stores shut?.. Erm.. nope.. are you saying that to feel emotionally positive in your life you need the company that made your mobile phone to be classed as superior to all others in a useless web survey?.. Have I got that right?.. I think somebody needs a hug!. Xx

----------

I hope everyone who reads MacRumors reads this post.

That is literally ALL Apple has to do. I don't think people realize how many people switched to Android ONLY because it has a bigger screen. MILLIONS of people!

The second thing is customization.

If Apple just does both of those things, iOS 8 + iPhone 6 are going to blow everything else away. And of course Apple has the best designs.

I can't wait.

So basically as long as they copy the hell out of android they will be ok.. can't innovative.. My ass!.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
This is exactly why a few months ago I said that the way MacRumors chooses to write the headlines is stupid, yes, when almost on every article you write you talk about companies and personal names you can't use a capital letter to every single word in the headline.
It's called Title Case. Look it up.
While you're at it, look up run-on sentence.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
"Brand Value" as the piece says notoriously difficult to determine. The advertising folk will hope this study encourages Apple to spend more money with them as frankly that's the purpose of these reports.

Curious as to what Google are supposed to have done to see at 40% increase and Apple a 20% decline ? For Google these past 12 months, for me, nothing ? Apple free Mavericks and iWork, iPad Air ...

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
"...beats out Apple..."

Why not just "beats Apple"? Why the addition of the word "out"?

Surely you wouldn't say 'Manchester United beat out Man City'.

But you would say "Don't over whisk as this beats out the air".

----------

How is Microsoft even on this list? As far as I can see, they're not exactly "redefining technology for consumers."

:confused:

I would say the same about IBM. I can't remember the last time a saw an IBM product.

Casstiel

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
This is exactly why a few months ago I said that the way MacRumors chooses to write the headlines is stupid, yes, when almost on every article you write you talk about companies and personal names you can't use a capital letter to every single word in the headline.

"Google Beats Out Apple"

Please tell me that wasn't on purpose and misleading when all they have posted in the past few day is about Apple buying Beats.

"Google beats out Apple"

That's the way to go, for me at least.

Plus, IBM on third place when their core business is to companies and not people, I don't think that's accurate.

"Beats" with a capital letter confused me as well. But after a full two seconds of painful confusion, I had the real meaning figured out.

----------

"...beats out Apple..."

Why not just "beats Apple"? Why the addition of the word "out"?

Surely you wouldn't say 'Manchester United beat out Man City'.

But you would say "Don't over whisk as this beats out the air".

----------

I would say the same about IBM. I can't remember the last time a saw an IBM product.

"Beats out" sounds fine in this exact context. Unless you have some concern for the sexual connotations of "beats out". :eek:

Last edited:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Apple thrives when it's the underdog, this is okay with me.

The underdog that makes more money than Google & Asus & HTC & Dell & LG & Sony & Motorola & Lenovo together? Funny how things are. You can make all the money in the world and be the most valuable public traded company in the planet, and still be the underdog because of the irrational public perception that this evening you (Apple) can be out of business.

Those clicks will stop being lucrative before phones & Tablets & computers & Software & ecosystem, eventually. I Wonder where Google will go.

DuffMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2004
2O14 is a massive year for apple.

maybe... just maybe...

new ios/osx. new apple tv . new iPhone. and other stuff.

think how much the share prices would go up.

Casstiel

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
If iPhone 6 is hugely successful, could that alone push them back to No. 1 or would it take a lot more than that?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

"Google Beats Out Apple"

Please tell me that wasn't on purpose and misleading when all they have posted in the past few day is about Apple buying Beats.

"Google beats out Apple"

That's the way to go, for me at least.

nope nope nope ... rule for wording on the internet is "words with three and more letters should start with a capital in the headline"

also title cases

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Cool, I work for the third most valuable brand in the world. Not sure what anyone sees in the company - everything I've seen from them sucks, with the exceptions of Watson and Jython. Oh well, I'm a lowly programmer on an obscure team - I don't know what the big products are that get sold to buisnesses/governments...

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006

That is literally ALL Apple has to do. I don't think people realize how many people switched to Android ONLY because it has a bigger screen. MILLIONS of people!

If Apple just does both of those things, iOS 8 + iPhone 6 are going to blow everything else away. And of course Apple has the best designs.

I can't wait.

Those are the 2 reasons I went Galaxy S5 vs iPhone 5s. I wanted a bigger screen phone for navigation in the car. And liked some of the customization (widgets) of Android. It's an OK piece of gear. But the BS that is Android is still there and, had Apple done a 5.1" OLED iPhone I'd have been all over that. The Galaxy screen is gorgeous and easily beats the iPhone in color, clarity, and wow! factor.

I say all that as one huge Apple fanboy.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I guess Phil Schiller won't be tweeting out this study.

Cute comment. But Schiller never tweets out this stuff because it's irrelevant to the consumer experience that he is so passionate about. He has in the past tweeted out stuff about the insecurity of Android because that is vital information for those who may have been considering making a switch away from iOS.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I can't wait.

Most people I know get an android phone because they can get a cheap / free one. Phone size is the reason for some people but cost is by far the major reason why people get an android phone. Making a larger phone and tweaking IOS will increase market share but, will not affect the market as much as you think it will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.