Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RageMunkey24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Ok so I recently got Windows 8.1 from my school which is awesome but I am really not sure if it would be a good move to switch over. I mean I have seen other forums about it but not my type of MBP is ever mentioned. Apple says it compatible with 8.1 but I just don't won't to fry my system if its too powerful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
It works just fine. Download the .zip file containing Windows 8.1 compatible drivers here. Save them on a USB flash drive. Put the Windows install DVD in your SuperDrive, launch Boot Camp Assistant, follow the prompts, and go from there. Once you've logged in to Windows, go to the desktop, insert the USB drive with the drivers you downloaded, copy it to your hard drive, extract it, then run the setup.

Last edited:

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
It works just fine. Download the .zip file containing Windows 8.1 compatible drivers here. Save them on a USB flash drive. Put the Windows install DVD in your SuperDrive, launch Boot Camp Assistant, follow the prompts, and go from there. Once you've logged in to Windows, go to the desktop, insert the USB drive with the drivers you downloaded, copy it to your hard drive, extract it, then run the setup.

that's the wrong pkg for his machine, OP you need x5621 not x5640

RageMunkey24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2014
There hasn't been any overheating issues with it has there? and would you recommend the jump to 8.1 from 7

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
There hasn't been any overheating issues with it has there? and would you recommend the jump to 8.1 from 7

I've not had a problem, but one thing you can do to keep temperatures at bay is to disable the CPU's Turbo Boost feature. I've found my processor's base 2.5 GHz frequency to be more than adequate for the gaming and other tasks I perform in Windows. It involves changing some of the advanced settings in the Windows power options control panel. I'm not in front of the machine and won't be for quite some time so I can't give a step-by-step.

To answer the second question, while I don't mind Windows 8/8.1, I wouldn't make the switch. I got a copy of W8 very cheaply and was able to pass it along to my parents so I could go back to running 7. It's a personal preference, though it's my understanding that an update coming later this summer is supposed to restore full start menu functionality to 8.1. I might give it another look if that's the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.