Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon.jpg
A pair of hackers from the Netherlands and Morocco, identifying themselves as AquaXetine and MerrukTechnolog, claim to have compromised the security of Apple's iCloud system for locking iOS devices.

The hack will unlock stolen iPhones by bypassing Activation Lock, making it possible for thieves to resell the phones easily on the black market, reports Dutch publication De Telegraaf [Google Translate]. It also may provide hackers with access to Apple ID passwords and other personal information stored in Apple's iCloud service.

The hackers reportedly worked on the vulnerability for five months, studying the transmission of data between iPhone handsets and Apple's iCloud services. The pair claim to be able to unlock a locked iPhone by placing a computer between the iPhone and Apple's servers. In this configuration, the iPhone mistakenly identifies the hacker's computer as one of Apple's servers and follows instructions provided by the nefarious computer to reverse activation lock on the handset.

While the hackers did not reveal precise information on how their intercepting computer can spoof Apple's iCloud activation servers, it appears that they may be taking advantage of an SSL bug that is present in iTunes for Windows, as noted by iPhone in Canada, who spoke to security researcher Mark Loman about the issue. The previously disclosed issue was fixed in iOS 7.0.6 and OS X 10.9.2, but it appears that iTunes for Windows is still affected.
After looking into some claims of the jailbreak community, Mark Loman decided to do some investigating of his own and made a shocking discovery. SSL has two tasks: one, to verify communication with the intended server; and two, to prevent manipulation.

"The problem is with verifying the certificate. Apple appears to have deliberately left out this essential step required for proper secure communication. They fixed it last month for iOS but forgot to fix it for iTunes. But the jailbreak community is already making use of it -- which is how I figured it out."
The vulnerability reportedly allows hackers to intercept Apple ID credentials, which can then be used to unlock iOS devices that have been locked after having been lost or stolen.
Actually, the data IS encrypted. But when an attacker strips SSL during a so-called man-in-the-middle attack the AppleID account name and password can be extracted as they are sent in plain text inside SSL, Mark Loman said in an email sent to iPhone in Canada.
Using this technique, the hackers claim to have unlocked 30,000 iPhones in the past few days. The group allegedly contacted Apple about this vulnerability in March, but Apple never responded, prompting the hackers to go public with the information.

Update 10:43 AM: One of the hackers has denied that the bypass involves an SSL bug.

Article Link: Hacker Team Claims Compromise of Apple's iCloud and Activation Lock, Possibly via SSL Bug [Updated]

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
"The group allegedly contacted Apple about this vulnerability in March, but Apple never responded, prompting the hackers to go public with the information."

lol, Apple

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I imagine this will be solved with a simple iOS update and a change of Apple's server.

That being said -- on a similar topic - Now that Activation Lock exists, it is astonishing to me the sheer amount of iCloud locked iPhones on eBay that are pretty much only good for parts/trash. On the one hand, yes it might keep phones in the owners possession, but on the other hand, it creates a lot of garbage that will end up in the landfill.

Possibly even more surprising to me is that people are paying almost full price for these locked phones :(

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The group allegedly contacted Apple about this vulnerability in March, but Apple never responded, prompting the hackers to go public with the information.

In my opinion, that's the proper way to do it.

1. Contact the manufacturer to inform them of the problem.
  2. Give them some time to fix it.
  3. If they haven't fixed it after a few months, go public to force them to react.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I imagine this will be solved with a simple iOS update and a change of Apple's server.

That being said -- on a similar topic - Now that Activation Lock exists, it is astonishing to me the sheer amount of iCloud locked iPhones on eBay that are pretty much only good for parts/trash. On the one hand, yes it might keep phones in the owners possession, but on the other hand, it creates a lot of garbage that will end up in the landfill.

Possibly even more surprising to me is that people are paying almost full price for these locked phones :(

Yep. Locked phone = stolen phone.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

3. If they haven't fixed it after a few months, go public to force them to react.

They did, in March. Still not fixed.

fumi2014

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
California
These billion dollar companies really need to stay on top of all this. They're happy to take your money but not so quick to safeguard your details.

And now there's trouble at eBay.

ehmjay

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
Annnnnnd cue the tech press over-reacting and blowing this way out of proportion.

Not that this isn't a serious flaw; it is. But because it's Apple it will be presented as the end of the world, and covered by every major news outlet where-as a similar bug in Android is barely mentioned by anyone at all.

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
So they wasted 5 months of work so Apple can patch it in a week? I don't see the point

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
They claimed they unlocked 30,000 iPhones??? I'm to believe that many iPhones' activation lock was bypassed and the internet community was not ablazed with that info???

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
So they wasted 5 months of work so Apple can patch it in a week? I don't see the point

Apple didn't patch it in a week. They haven't done a thing about it since March. The point is to get Apple to secure their products, and publicly releasing vulnerabilities is the only way to do that.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

There is, however, a difference between simply going public with the info and exploiting the issue to unlock 30,000 locked phones as they claim to have done.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
There is, however, a difference between simply going public with the info and exploiting the issue to unlock 30,000 locked phones as they claim to have done.

It puts more pressure on Apple to get a fix rolled out and prevents them from passing it off as a theoretical attack.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
They did, in March. Still not fixed.

So anyone can claim anything they want and people instantly believe them without a shadow of doubt? When did the public become so easily gullible?

I'm not saying its not true. I'm saying none of us know. Just because some hackers claim something doesn't make it true. And how exactly are they trustworthy to begin with? These are people hacking into places they shouldn't be, unlocking stolen phones, and you don't even have a sliver of doubt about their honesty?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
So anyone can claim anything they want and people instantly believe them without a shadow of doubt? When did the public become so easily gullible?

I'm not saying its not true. I'm saying none of us know. Just because some hackers claim something doesn't make it true. And how exactly are they trustworthy to begin with? These are people hacking into places they shouldn't be, and they're 100% trustworthy?

The fact that they're exploiting the vulnerability means they're pretty trustworthy when they say there is one.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

I'm not saying its not true. I'm saying none of us know. Just because some hackers claim something doesn't make it true. And how exactly are they trustworthy to begin with? These are people hacking into places they shouldn't be, and they're 100% trustworthy?

Chill.
Don't take it as a personal attack on yourself.

deadshift

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011

clearly you don't understand security. If a lock is pickable, you get a better lock. This was a discovery that a lock was able to be bypassed. So Apple can and should build a better lock, even if it's only 5 minutes worth of work.

Yeah, it smells of SSL GoToFail and Man-in-the-middle. A bummer of a time SSL has had lately.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple didn't patch it in a week. They haven't done a thing about it since March. The point is to get Apple to secure their products, and publicly releasing vulnerabilities is the only way to do that.

How would you know that they haven't done a thing about it?

Obviously they will not broadcast anything when things like that happen.

And, fixes are not really pulled out off a drawer.

Analysis, testing etc. has to happen first. That takes time.

But..........................

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Anyone who claims Apple doesn't take security of its products and services seriously, and doesn't care passionately about protecting our personal information - put simply they don't know Apple. There is no company on earth who has a better track record in this arena than Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.