Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Algoriddim, makers of the popular DJing software Djay, have solved one of the app's biggest problems with a new update out today. Thanks to a new partnership with Spotify, the subscription music service, Djay now offers direct access to Spotify's full music library of more than twenty million songs.

Previously, users could only mix and play songs that were stored locally on their iPhone or iPad, which was fine for professional DJ's using the software, but a significant limitation to users looking to play around at a backyard barbecue.

With twenty million songs at their fingertips, users may feel overwhelmed by the choices at hand -- but Djay and Spotify have a solution to that problem too. Earlier this year, Spotify acquired The Echo Nest, a "music intelligence company" that analyzes songs to recommend songs that would go well together.

As a result, Djay will analyze a currently playing track and make recommendations based on BPM, key, musical style, and how well a song mixes with the current track. There is also an Automix Radio feature that will automatically pick and play songs that go well together, beatmatching them for DJ-style transitions.

spotifymatch.png
The Spotify integration, a relative rarity for standalone apps, shows what Apple could be looking for with its rumored Beats music service acquisition. A subscription music service API built-in to iOS could unleash a whole new category of apps to give the iPhone and iPad a unique differentiator from Android, especially if Apple were to bundle the service into the cost of the device itself.
"Having more than 20 million songs instantly at your fingertips is a DJ's dream come true. It gives djay 2 users endless creative possibilities and elevates the artform of DJing to a new level," says Karim Morsy, CEO of Algoriddim. "The power of The Echo Nest driving track selection brings a new tool to the DJ that I could not have ever imagined possible. It truly helps to discover, explore, and find great new music that sounds amazing together."

"Not only can Spotify Premium users DJ millions of songs, but they'll also enjoy real-time, intelligent suggestions on what to play next, powered by The Echo Nest's analysis of all the music on Spotify," says Sten Garmark, VP of Product at Spotify. "Djay 2 will help DJs and regular music enthusiasts, regardless of their skill level, select the perfect songs for their set - or simply lean back and let djay 2 turn any Spotify playlist into a slick DJ set for parties or private listening."
Djay also revealed that it has more than 10 million downloads across all its platforms, a number that connects nicely to the 10 million global subscribers that Spotify announced yesterday.

Djay owners looking to use Spotify will need to sign up for a $10/month Spotify Premium account, though Djay users will be able to take advantage of a special 7-day free trial even if they have previously used a Spotify Premium trial. Premium includes ad-free music, the ability to download tracks to listen offline, and full mobile support.

To celebrate the new partnership, Algoriddim is offering Djay 2 for iPhone as a free download and Djay 2 for iPad for half-price, $4.99, for a limited time. Both are available from the App Store. Djay for Mac does not include Spotify integration, but the company didn't rule it out as a future possibility. [Direct Link: iPhone, iPad, Mac]

Article Link: Djay Adds Full Spotify Integration and Auto-Matching of Currently Playing Songs

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Apple doesn't need Beats to do this. They could have just bought Djay/Spotify and saved a few billion dollars. Or done it themselves.

Last edited:

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Not buying anymore app from this devs again. They deleted my old Djay app from the store. How's that even legal ?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Previously, users could only mix and play songs that were stored locally on their iPhone or iPad, which was fine for professional DJ's using the software, but a significant limitation to users looking to play around at a backyard barbecue.

Oh no. I really hope that no backyard barbecues that I go to this summer have some guy trying to mix together random songs from Spotify. My ears...my poor poor ears...

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
Not buying anymore app from this devs again. They deleted my old Djay app from the store. How's that even legal ?

They did remove the first Djay from the app store, so people couldn't buy it any longer. However, if you already purchased it in the past, you should be able to check your purchase history, and download it that way. It's under my purchase history and I can re-download it.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
As a professional dj (who has been beatmixing since the 80s) and very technical in computers, this is quite cool and I've been wondering at what point in time this day would come.

However, the person owning/holding the iPad with this integration is NOT A DJ by any stretch of the imagination...they are simply turning on the iPad, and hitting Play and walking away for 6 hours. Literally.

In the past 10+ years with massive MP3 adoption and the past few years of iPad/DJay adoption, wanna-be DJs have been ankle biters for mobile/party gigs...but as anyone who has hired one of those "djs", they simply don't have the knowledge, the experience, and don't "get" music and/or how to really be a dj (knowing your crowd, knowing the atmosphere, selecting which mix/version of which song, beatmixing, key matchup, when and how often to use the mic, volume control and EQ, etc.).

Some veteran djs have made the transition in the past 10 years to laptops with massive MP3 collections because of huge space savings and the ability to bring the entire library on a laptop rather than crates of cds/vinyl...as well as what professional cd players can also do with MP3 files in addition to cds.

Cool app...but anyone advertising themselves as a DJ with this app is a complete liar because the app is doing 100% of the work. It would be like calling yourself a professional dish washer even though all you did was load the dishwasher (machine) and hit Run and came back an hour later. The app would probably flourish as a non-dj service...meaning something you pay for and turn it on when you have a long car ride or a BBQ but of course are not paying a "dj" to turn it on for you. :)

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
As a professional dj (who has been beatmixing since the 80s) and very technical in computers, this is quite cool and I've been wondering at what point in time this day would come.

However, the person owning/holding the iPad with this integration is NOT A DJ ......

you're making a lot of assumptions about whatever person may choose to use this or any other djing app. I garauntee you would be able to tell the difference between two people using the app. 1 with experience who knows what they are doing and 1 who just picked up the app and tries to be cool.
in fact, if you can't see the gear in the dj booth, a good dj will sound good, and bad dj bad. and you wouldn't even know what they were using.
technology has made the technical aspects of djing easier, but there much more to it, as you mentioned, that comes with experience and taste.
a good dj could definitely have great gigs with simply an ipad and a controller or mixer. no need to bash it for no reason.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Apple doesn't need Beats to do this. They could have just bought Djay/Spotify and saved a few billion dollars. Or done it themselves.

Actually, others (in the various beats stories) have said Apple could not do that. Whoever buys Spotify does not get the licensing. The buyer gets the brand, the user base, but must re-negotiate licenses with the labels.

When Apple approached labels to build their own Spotify-like service, they wanted to charge Apple more than Spotify is paying. Would not match.

Whoever buys Beats (aka MOG) does get the brand, user base, and licenses fully transferable. No need to re-negotiate. Apple would get the rates they wanted to begin with.
If true, then that can pay off in the long run. The headphone hardware part is still profitable but they can always sell it off later.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

However, the person owning/holding the iPad with this integration is NOT A DJ by any stretch of the imagination...they are simply turning on the iPad, and hitting Play and walking away for 6 hours. Literally.

In the past 10+ years with massive MP3 adoption and the past few years of iPad/DJay adoption, wanna-be DJs have been ankle biters for mobile/party gigs...but as anyone who has hired one of those "djs", they simply don't have the knowledge, the experience, and don't "get" music and/or how to really be a dj (knowing your crowd, knowing the atmosphere, selecting which mix/version of which song, beatmixing, key matchup, when and how often to use the mic, volume control and EQ, etc.).

Some veteran djs have made the transition in the past 10 years to laptops with massive MP3 collections because of huge space savings and the ability to bring the entire library on a laptop rather than crates of cds/vinyl...as well as what professional cd players can also do with MP3 files in addition to cds.

Cool app...but anyone advertising themselves as a DJ with this app is a complete liar because the app is doing 100% of the work. It would be like calling yourself a professional dish washer even though all you did was load the dishwasher (machine) and hit Run and came back an hour later. The app would probably flourish as a non-dj service...meaning something you pay for and turn it on when you have a long car ride or a BBQ but of course are not paying a "dj" to turn it on for you. :)

I don't think anyone is out there trying to get booked at major clubs and using this app, relax a bit. Your trade is still safe... at least from this app. Unfortunately its tainted by many other things, but what profit-making industry isn't these days.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
They did remove the first Djay from the app store, so people couldn't buy it any longer. However, if you already purchased it in the past, you should be able to check your purchase history, and download it that way. It's under my purchase history and I can re-download it.

Just checked. It's not there. If devs delete's something it's gone forever. Also iTunes takes an eternity to find purchased apps and hangs and crashes almost everytime. Loving these apple technologies.

pic: http://i.imgur.com/3YrC6aX.jpg / http://i.imgur.com/J0N2pIk.jpg

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
Anyone know if its possible to use this app on your ipad to access your songs on your mac and play them through your desktop speakers?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
This doesn't affect proper professional DJ's or club nights.

But it will affect your small private function or average bar which hires mid-level and upcoming DJ's. The manager and "music expert bar staff" will select a playlist and just let it run all night.

Trust me on this (I'm a professional DJ).

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
So they were able to get Spotify streaming songs but won't support my Itunes Match???

Thanks but no thanks.

kieranet

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2012
Given that this proves that it is possible to queue and play tracks that aren't stored locally it's high time that Djay allowed the use of tracks on iTunes Match without having to download them prior to adding them to a mix.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I'd be more interested if it was hooked to work with iTunes Match - my music's in there.

I have used this app a few times and never really liked it. Auto beat matching is TERRIBLE!!

It certainly not good enough for people to pretend to be a DJ

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Can you record mixes you made using Spotify tracks?

----------

Just checked. It's not there. If devs delete's something it's gone forever. Also iTunes takes an eternity to find purchased apps and hangs and crashes almost everytime. Loving these apple technologies.

pic: http://i.imgur.com/3YrC6aX.jpg / http://i.imgur.com/J0N2pIk.jpg

Did you change countries at some point in your iTunes account? Makes you lose all your purchase history (music, TV, movies, apps...) and it is an absolute shame. If the paid app is still on the AppStore though, I think it doesnt make you pay for it again. But if it is not accessible to everybody anymore, you are screwed. I really hated that bad experience with Apple when I moved over to a new country.

grayter1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
As a musician that is asked to DJ the occational small party, the Spotify integration is a welcome addition. I can stream the latest remixes, or anything else that I don't have in my personal collection. I also agree that the beat matching isn't great, but it's never been too much of a problem - my own "feel" and sense of timing is better.

All that said, other points raised here made me think of this -

http://youtu.be/XCawU6BE8P8

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
nice addition...

This is fantastic news! I've been a fan of the Djay app since it's beginning, and now this recent update just might make me finally take the plunge to sign-up with Spotify already. :cool:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
you're making a lot of assumptions about whatever person may choose to use this or any other djing app. I garauntee you would be able to tell the difference between two people using the app. 1 with experience who knows what they are doing and 1 who just picked up the app and tries to be cool.
in fact, if you can't see the gear in the dj booth, a good dj will sound good, and bad dj bad. and you wouldn't even know what they were using.
technology has made the technical aspects of djing easier, but there much more to it, as you mentioned, that comes with experience and taste.
a good dj could definitely have great gigs with simply an ipad and a controller or mixer. no need to bash it for no reason.

I am an ex dj from years gone by. I played in clubs and then started my own gig doing private parties, events, etc. I think your comment is mostly spot on. You will always know the difference between a good dj and a bad dj. Even if this software is spot on, it cannot tell the mood of the crowd to know when to change it up. Of course, this assumes a party or nightclub where the goal is to get people dancing and excited (even sweaty so they go buy more drinks at the bar). However, for a barbecue or a dinner party where you are mostly interested in background music without commercials or dead space, I think this could be useful as a generic tool. I would prefer to create my own playlist from my collection, but for those that are lazy or just don't obsess about music, this is fine.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Anyone know if its possible to use this app on your ipad to access your songs on your mac and play them through your desktop speakers?

You can sync your playlists via iTunes onto your iPad from your Mac, and then hook up speakers to your iPad to listen to the music from the iDevice. If you simply want to use your Mac to manage the Djay app then there's a separate desktop version of the app that will allow you to do that here https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-mac but "no" you can't use the iPad version of the app as the "middle man" to manage your Mac music library, you must either sync the songs onto your iPad or buy the desktop version of the app to manage locally on your Mac. Hope that helps clear things up for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.