Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I would like to ask in all sincerity -- what features would motivate one to want to pay a subscription fee for Office when iworks is free? Even on the desktop I can only really justify Excel over iworks but on the iPad, I am not sure what I would do that would make me want to pay monthly.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I think a lot of people who regularly use Office on PCs have grown to like the ribbon. I certainly have (despite not liking it initially).

I'm lucky enough to have never needed to use office and to have always gotten away with some alternative - until yesterday when I *NEEDED* to print something out of office and absolutely could not figure out where the stupid print button was.

I finally just cut and pasted into wordpad and thankfully the formatting held.

Believe it or not it was a true life-or-death situation. It would make sense if you knew what my job was, which I'd prefer not to say.

Stupid ribbon.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
"If there was a visual treatment or text label that wasn't absolutely necessary, we stripped it away."

What am I missing? The "pre iOS 7" and the "post iOS 7" versions look identical, except for the characteristic iOS 7 thinness.

Maxipeg

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2004
Design is nice but...

...typing performance is slow. Tried with an apple BT keyboard. Awful. Back to Pages, keep office only for compatibility...

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
They don't get mobile

Looks like a desktop app ported to a mobile platform. The whole mobile revolution is totally lost on Microsoft. It's not a desktop app with ribbons and a zillion buttons. If they didn't have serious market share and a proprietary file type on the desktop this would never have a chance. This is mediocrity and is the reason many people have had it with Microsoft products. They're also no fun and ugly as anything.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
If those are the pre-modern and modern designs, then I would like to see the postmodern design. :eek::rolleyes::D

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I guess if Microsoft was allowed to do it "their way" instead of Apple's way, this app would be hideous looking.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I think the apps are wicked, but I have no need to edit Office documents on an iPad. That's why I have full Windows for.

----------

I would like to ask in all sincerity -- what features would motivate one to want to pay a subscription fee for Office when iworks is free? Even on the desktop I can only really justify Excel over iworks but on the iPad, I am not sure what I would do that would make me want to pay monthly.

One feature I really like on Word 2013 is Reading Mode. It allows you to arrange your document in book form for reading instead of the usual vertical scrolling. To me that one feature is worth paying for. I'm sure other people have found other features throughout the apps worth paying for.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My non-tech savvy mother preferred the iOS 6 look because it was "easier to read and bolder".

Found that interesting. Sounds like familiar complaints.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
My non-tech savvy mother preferred the iOS 6 look because it was "easier to read and bolder".

My guess is she likes iOS 6 over iOS 7 in general with the bezels around everything.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Regardless of the bitching of office 365 pricing, I payed $20 an year for 365 premium, office for iPad is quite an amazing software achievement on tablet

I have yet to run into an issue of not doing what I can on desktop, now release new damn office for mac for crying out loud

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I think we're all going to find a LOT of software for Mac / PC / iPad etc. going the way of subscription.

Remember the days of buying a program on disk... using it for a long while and eventually deciding to get the next updated version-- (2 years later !)

Now, Adobe CS is Subscription based, AVID MC is going that way it seems, MS Office is that way now... It's the ONLY way to have a continuous revenue stream for these companies.

It's Sad, but soon, with the cost of the hardware, the cost of monthly data and the cost of subscription based software... who will be able to afford today's technology ?!?!

All of those are business-class software. The free software is also getting better. Gimp and fotor are decent photo editors for the basic stuff. Libreoffice, google documents, pages, and even the ms office cloud service are enough for K-12. Most universities seem to have cheap/free software for students. Then, your employer should provide the high-end software for you.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
All of those are business-class software. The free software is also getting better. Gimp and fotor are decent photo editors for the basic stuff. Libreoffice, google documents, pages, and even the ms office cloud service are enough for K-12. Most universities seem to have cheap/free software for students. Then, your employer should provide the high-end software for you.

This is what MS is fighting, free software that is good enough for 90% of the population.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I think a lot of people who regularly use Office on PCs have grown to like the ribbon. I certainly have (despite not liking it initially).
I have yet to meet anyone who dislikes the ribbon. It did a great job in clearing the older menu mess.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I have yet to meet anyone who dislikes the ribbon. It did a great job in clearing the older menu mess.

You'd be shocked at how many older folks hate the ribbon. They got used to the drop-down menus and goshdarnit they don't want any of these new-fangeled changes!

GET OFF MY LAWN!

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Whenever reading about design philosophy or engineering feat, I expect everything are of flawless measurement and pixel perfect. Yet looking into more things, the arrow above the ribbon popover failed exactly that being not fully centered.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
LOL so true! Comment of the year!

Based on the screenshots, it made "designing" the UI a lot easier.

"Should we add some borders or shadows to distinguish between various tappable areas?"
"What, no! Next thing you know, people will want graphics or something to go along with them!"

I personally cannot wait until design becomes so simple, intuitive, refined, beautiful, gorgeous, (insert denigrated aesthetic term) that our homescreens are white backgrounds with a list of unformatted text. Ahhh, that'll be something…

[url=http://i.imgur.com/VpYGPUSl.png]Image[/URL]

</misplaced anger>

----------

The design process "Lets just get really drunk and delete **** from the Xcode equivalent of css" if it's not black text on white, delete it

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Whenever reading about design philosophy or engineering feat, I expect everything are of flawless measurement and pixel perfect. Yet looking into more things, the arrow above the ribbon popover failed exactly that being not fully centered.

Looks perfectly centered to me with the other icons, or is it not aligned by 1 pixel?

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010

She should take advantage of Dynamic Type option in Settings to make font bigger. That wasn't even possible in iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.