Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Praitel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Owensboro, KY
Hey everyone, just purchased another A1369 MBA and ran into an interesting problem with it, which I've done a bit of testing which I'll walk you through momentarily.

At first glance, there isn't a single thing wrong with the unit, minus a missing power button off the keyboard/topcase. Screen is intact, no screen damage or wear and tear in general.

Press the power button. Nothing happens.

Hold the power button. Nothing happens.

Left Shift, Option, Command, Power Button for SMC Reset.

Magsafe Connector Changes from Green to Amber.

Press the power button again. Nothing happens.

From here I decided to take it apart, cleaning all of the debris and clutter from the machine, stripping it down and detailing it. Before placing everything back together as it was.

With a little more research I found a thread on here that talked about holding down the power button for ten seconds, then connecting the Magsafe Connector.

So I did this, then the fan came on.
Staying at a constant speed.

This can be repeated to return it to the same status, however it seems nothing else is functional as the chime doesn't sound when the fan turns on.

However, Pulling the Magsafe Connector kills the fan.

Not sure if it would make a difference, but when I received this Unit, the Apple Proprietary SSD Drive was missing.

Please advise,
I'm not really wanting to write it off as a loss, but am out of options.

Thank you.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Hey everyone, just purchased another A1369 MBA and ran into an interesting problem with it, which I've done a bit of testing which I'll walk you through momentarily.

At first glance, there isn't a single thing wrong with the unit, minus a missing power button off the keyboard/topcase. Screen is intact, no screen damage or wear and tear in general.

Hold the power button. Nothing happens.

Left Shift, Option, Command, Power Button for SMC Reset.

Magsafe Connector Changes from Green to Amber.

Press the power button again. Nothing happens.

From here I decided to take it apart, cleaning all of the debris and clutter from the machine, stripping it down and detailing it. Before placing everything back together as it was.

With a little more research I found a thread on here that talked about holding down the power button for ten seconds, then connecting the Magsafe Connector.

So I did this, then the fan came on.
Staying at a constant speed.

This can be repeated to return it to the same status, however it seems nothing else is functional as the chime doesn't sound when the fan turns on.

However, Pulling the Magsafe Connector kills the fan.

Not sure if it would make a difference, but when I received this Unit, the Apple Proprietary SSD Drive was missing.

Please advise,
I'm not really wanting to write it off as a loss, but am out of options.

Thank you.

What about SMC & PRAM reset's, just a thought

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
No, it will power on and attempt to boot without the SSD drive, therefore that is not the problem. Try to disconnect the battery then power on with charger only. be sure to have the back cover in place it does not need to be screwed on.
Sounds like the magsafe I/O board has failed

Praitel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Owensboro, KY
What about SMC & PRAM reset's, just a thought

The SMC & PRAM, I cannot really see to do this, as the screen will not light up.
However I tried both methods, with the battery connected and without.

No, it will power on and attempt to boot without the SSD drive, therefore that is not the problem. Try to disconnect the battery then power on with charger only. be sure to have the back cover in place it does not need to be screwed on.
Sounds like the magsafe I/O board has failed

I disconnected the battery and the Magsafe charger light stays green.
It stayed green, powering on the Fan same as before; until I disconnected the Magsafe connection, holding down the power button for roughly 10 seconds, and reconnecting it. Changed it Amber.

If I had another Air I would swap out parts, but alas all I have for the time are Mac Book Pro.

Sorry for the response delay.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Few questions:

-Is that charger known-working?
-When the fan spins, is there any other activity? (chime, screen backlight)
-When fan spins have you attempted a PRAM reset? (alt/option+cmd+r+p)

Praitel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Owensboro, KY
Few questions:

-Is that charger known-working?
-When the fan spins, is there any other activity? (chime, screen backlight)
-When fan spins have you attempted a PRAM reset? (alt/option+cmd+r+p)

-Yes. I have two 65Watt Magsafe Chargers, both I swapped and tested on various Macbook/Pro/Air.

-No. The fan spins. No chime. No screen backlight, nor Apple illumination.

-When I hold down the mentioned keys nothing happens, just powers on the fan like normal. However I did notice that when the Magsafe charger is first connected, the light stays green until the power button is pressed, then it changed to amber.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
I see that earlier you disconnected the battery. Was the battery disconnected for those few questions I posted in my previous post?

Also, give this a shot. Disconnect the power adapter (and battery if connected) and unplug the power adapter from the wall. Press and hold the power button a few times (to make sure power is drained from logic board, RAM, etc.) Meanwhile, let the power adapter discharge as well (just leave it unplugged for a minute or so).

Praitel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Owensboro, KY
I see that earlier you disconnected the battery. Was the battery disconnected for those few questions I posted in my previous post?

Also, give this a shot. Disconnect the power adapter (and battery if connected) and unplug the power adapter from the wall. Press and hold the power button a few times (to make sure power is drained from logic board, RAM, etc.) Meanwhile, let the power adapter discharge as well (just leave it unplugged for a minute or so).

It wasn't.

I did as you said, and unplugged the adapter, unplugged the battery and held down the battery a couple different times and did that for a couple minutes.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
And I'm guessing that didn't work? What model is it? I know you stated A1369 but that refers to anywhere between 2010 and 2011 across a few different hardware models.

Praitel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Owensboro, KY
And I'm guessing that didn't work? What model is it? I know you stated A1369 but that refers to anywhere between 2010 and 2011 across a few different hardware models.

Sorry about that I thought there was going to be a certain instruction there after or a specific way to go about putting power back to it.

But Yeah it didn't work.

It's a Late 2010 Model.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Oh yeah, haha, sorry.

To be honest, it's sounding more like a logic board issue rather than that I/O board. If the machine is from the lot you bought from the company with the rogue IT guy (mentioned in your other forum post) I'd consider contacting them if possible to what options they'll give since it appears to be DOA.

Praitel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Owensboro, KY
Oh yeah, haha, sorry.

To be honest, it's sounding more like a logic board issue rather than that I/O board. If the machine is from the lot you bought from the company with the rogue IT guy (mentioned in your other forum post) I'd consider contacting them if possible to what options they'll give since it appears to be DOA.

Thats what I was thinking reading between here and there, was just hoping against it.

It was part of the same lot, however the company has disbanded all together unfortunately.

Bought pretty much everything they had. Out of roughly 20 different machines, I believe I have.. 5 that work. Including the Mac Book Pro from the other thread.

Do you think it would be worth attempting to put an IO board in? Worst case scenario I can send the board back.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
For me personally, I'd be nervous to do the I/O board. Reasons being: I don't believe that's the root issue and returning parts can be quite a hassle if they'll take them back at all. And if there is no SSD in the unit (unless you've added once since purchasing) that'll be another purchase to consider.

If you do decide against it, you could always try to sell the top & bottom case on eBay or some such.

Praitel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
Owensboro, KY
For me personally, I'd be nervous to do the I/O board. Reasons being: I don't believe that's the root issue and returning parts can be quite a hassle if they'll take them back at all. And if there is no SSD in the unit (unless you've added once since purchasing) that'll be another purchase to consider.

If you do decide against it, you could always try to sell the top & bottom case on eBay or some such.

Truth. Can't win them all. I have dozens of Logic Boards(that haven't seen power at all), but none for this particular model. Unit is in immaculate condition, should be able to get something from it.

Thank you again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.