Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarsierspectral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Hi,

I just recently got nMP and I'm using it with 30" ACD. My computer is connected to the screen using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. When I have a screen (website, black background in photoshop etc) that has a black background I would see something I would describe as "dancing pixels". They are white pixels that flicker all over the screen. This morning though it seems like things got worse and I am seeing blue pixels as well. You can't see it if I take a screenshot of it. Anyone has any idea why that's happening?

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Can you try a different display and see if it happens? I think it might be the ACD because you said when you take a screen shot you don't see it.

Hi,

I just recently got nMP and I'm using it with 30" ACD. My computer is connected to the screen using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. When I have a screen (website, black background in photoshop etc) that has a black background I would see something I would describe as "dancing pixels". They are white pixels that flicker all over the screen. This morning though it seems like things got worse and I am seeing blue pixels as well. You can't see it if I take a screenshot of it. Anyone has any idea why that's happening?

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
These dancing pixels happen from time to time. The adapter Apple sells is quite expensive and quite trashy.

I had the same problem with my 30" ACD when it was connected to a MBP via the Mini-Display-Port. Unplugging the adapter did help sometimes, but the dancing pixels came back after some minutes or hours.

I don't know if other adapters don't exhibit the same issue, but at the time I was researching alternatives, most reviewers stated this problem with every adapter.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

tarsierspectral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
These dancing pixels happen from time to time. The adapter Apple sells is quite expensive and quite trashy.

I had the same problem with my 30" ACD when it was connected to a MBP via the Mini-Display-Port. Unplugging the adapter did help sometimes, but the dancing pixels came back after some minutes or hours.

I don't know if other adapters don't exhibit the same issue, but at the time I was researching alternatives, most reviewers stated this problem with every adapter.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

OK, at least I'm not the only one!

DigitalVT

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
UK
The dancing pixels is digital noise. Presumably you have a DVI cable connected from the Dual Link DVI adapter to the monitor, have you tried changing that DVI cable, some cables can become noisey, and to avoid such issues, it's always preferred to use short cables.

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
I have two 30" ACD with adapters. I noticed noise on one display after adding a new external device. I just switched to a diff TB port and it went away permanently.

DigitalVT

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
UK
My son, did you ever have a 30" ACD? Because I would really like you to tell me how to change the DVI-USB-FW400-power all in one cable. :D

Apologies, my bad, I keep forgetting ACD's aren't as flexible as "normal" monitors. Like that you call me son though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.