Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 23, 2014, 09:12 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung and LG Reportedly Exploring Sapphire Crystal Displays

Apple is leading the way in the adoption of sapphire, with the company producing the material in limited quantities in its new Arizona plant. A portion of this material is expected to land in the iPhone 6 and possibly the iWatch as a scratch-resistant display material. According to Korean media reports (via GforGames), both Samsung and LG are showing renewed interest in sapphire following Apple's early success in manufacturing the material.

Furnaces for sapphire glass production
LG and Samsung allegedly explored the feasibility of using sapphire in their phones last year, but rejected the material due to the high cost of production. Now that Apple is moving forward with the material, Samsung and LG are reevaluating their earlier decisions, reaching out to sapphire glass manufacturers and requesting product samples for examination.
Quote:
This year however, the aforementioned Korean tech giants might be forced by the industry to reconsider their decision. With numerous other gadget manufacturers putting a lot of thought into making sapphire glass feasible, and with Apple already operating the sapphire glass processing plant in US, Arizona, LG and Samsung are supposedly going to jump on the sapphire display bandwagon sooner rather than later.
Sapphire may be a critical component of Apple's rumored iWatch, providing an outer scratch-resistant layer to the wrist-worn device. Recent rumors also suggest Apple may incorporate a sapphire crystal display into its upcoming iPhone 6. A recent research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggests the initial supply of sapphire displays could be limited, forcing Apple to use the material only in select high-end models of the upcoming handset.

Article Link: Samsung and LG Reportedly Exploring Sapphire Crystal Displays
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:14 AM   #2
SilverL
macrumors member

Filed under: Copying. Apple. See previous attempts.

At least someone acknowledges Apple is an innovator.
SilverL is offline   53 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:15 AM   #3
newyorksole
macrumors 68010

Lmaooo of course they are !
Old May 23, 2014, 09:15 AM   #4
moetownslick
macrumors regular

Isn't this getting a bit ridiculous, Samsung?
moetownslick is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:15 AM   #5
moeafg
macrumors newbie

Mr Gorilla Glass won't like this
moeafg is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:15 AM   #6
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Samsung? No way. I don't believe it. Samsung is a pioneer in the tech industry and I'm sure they are looking at skipping sapphire and moving straight to diamond screens. I'm sure of it. It's diamond clear to me.
Old May 23, 2014, 09:16 AM   #7
1Zach1
macrumors 6502a

Apple isn't really "leading the way" until they produce a product with it, right?
Old May 23, 2014, 09:20 AM   #8
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Samsung and LG exploring idea of developing ultra-thin, solid state storage, aluminum notebook computers running new operating system called OSZ.
Old May 23, 2014, 09:20 AM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Zach1 View Post
Apple isn't really "leading the way" until they produce a product with it, right?
Wrong. It's called "leading the way", not "arriving first". For "being the first to use sapphire crystal displays in a phone", they'd have to produce a product. "Leading the way" means "being followed". If some luxury phone maker built some thousand phones with sapphire crystal before Apple, they would be first, but if they are not followed then it would still be Apple "leading the way".
gnasher729 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:21 AM   #10
kagharaht
macrumors regular

Monkey see, monkey do.
kagharaht is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:21 AM   #11
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

I'm still highly skeptical that the AZ plants are going to be able to crank out pristine 4.7" and 5.5" sapphire displays in the massive volumes needed by Apple for the iPhone 6.

I expect that the first product we will see this used in is the iWatch with the sapphire glass being a major upgrade motivator for the 6S... the "S" in 6S will stand for sapphire.

Remember that tech pundits were convinced that liquid-metal would be used for iPhone frames in the 1-2 years following Apple's acquisition of that technology, and it still has not happened over 4 years later.
jmpage2 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:22 AM   #12
TimWillz
macrumors member

What. A. Surprise.
TimWillz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:23 AM   #13
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
MacRumours, you always post graphs of how many people running iOS 7.x visit your website. Which got me thinking ... how much of your web traffic/hits come from Korea?
Old May 23, 2014, 09:24 AM   #14
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502

Frankly, I'm surprised it took them this long considering these rumors were substantiated months ago by Tim Cook himself.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:30 AM   #15
b3ats
macrumors newbie

In other news, Samsung are also reportedly designing a Sapphire Ring after Tim Cook told the world that Apple were designing one.
b3ats is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:31 AM   #16
SethBoy
macrumors member

“We, as a market leader, are following the market trend.” — Samsung
SethBoy is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:32 AM   #17
iSteve-O
macrumors regular

In other news...Apple is also leading the way to becoming the #2 Most Valuable Brand.

It's time to sue Google for the #1 spot
iSteve-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:32 AM   #18
kafka33
Banned

"Apple is leading the way in the adoption of sapphire"
Are you for real ?? Apple is NOT LEADING NOTHING !
The ONLY thing Apple are leading is it's own OS : iOS.. Nothing else..
kafka33 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Cyborg21
macrumors 6502

I must congratulate Samsung for their business strategy. 1) Copy 2) Bash company you copied 3) Pay money to all media to get rid of ''Samsung is a copycat'' news 4) Make people believe you are best and original 5) When you sued, bash company again 6) Make lawsuit happen as late as possible 7) Counter-sue 8) Repeat the cycle

Isn't it right? It's pretty obvious Samsung copies Apple and some other companies and there are still some people believing Samsung is original and Apple's lawsuit is baloney.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka33 View Post
"Apple is leading the way in the adoption of sapphire"
Are you for real ?? Apple is NOT LEADING NOTHING !
The ONLY thing Apple are leading is it's own OS : iOS.. Nothing else..
See?

Last edited by Cyborg21; May 23, 2014 at 09:38 AM.
Cyborg21 is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:37 AM   #20
Cyborg21
macrumors 6502

Old May 23, 2014, 09:39 AM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetownslick View Post
Isn't this getting a bit ridiculous, Samsung?
And apparently they're releasing a VR headset later this year.
Old May 23, 2014, 09:42 AM   #22
S2TPW
macrumors newbie

Finished....

Have to say I'm done with Samsung. I find the continual stream of credibility exposures has turned me off them completely, not just competitive phones etc. but any device. I just move on now.

For such a clearly capable and innovative company they seem to lack fundamental ethics in their business model. In today's world you're going to get exposed, and that means lost opportunity with folks like me....

It makes perfect sense for them to compete and some technologies will be the same, but I'm genuinely ambivalent now, irrespective of achievement.
S2TPW is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:43 AM   #23
dabirdwell
macrumors 6502

Sapphire is NOT glass. The use of the term "sapphire glass," makes me crazy, and shows how little supposed experts know of materials science. It is absolutely not interchangeable with "sapphire crystal."
dabirdwell is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:44 AM   #24
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I expect that the first product we will see this used in is the iWatch with the sapphire glass being a major upgrade motivator for the 6S... the "S" in 6S will stand for sapphire.
What is that big benefit that makes it a "major upgrade motivator"? This is an invisible feature, meaning one won't be able to tell whether it's a sapphire or glass screen (they'll look the same), so the "must have the latest & greatest" crowd wanting some tangible change that will help others notice a difference won't get fed by sapphire over glass.

Sapphire is harder and that will make it less likely to scratch. However, there's so few comments about people scratching their iPhones now. The big gripe is shattered screens for which sapphire will do no better.

So what is the upgrade motivational benefit?
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:44 AM   #25
JPLC
macrumors regular

Remember the Palm? Or Blackberry? Plastic displays are out of fashion and the quality standard has moved to high end. Those credits go to Apple imo. We are lucky to have Apple as an inovator in this mobile market. Without it, we stil would polish our plastic screens on expensive phones.
JPLC is offline   13 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion