Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanShockley

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
At least what Apple/Filemaker should do is have a free FMP database viewer/editor application (without development abilities) that runs on Macs/PCs much like Filemaker Go on iOS. It's pretty ridiculous to be forced to pay $299 to have the dev. version installed on a workstation that will be only used to do some minimal viewing and editing.

Maybe you should wait and see what FileMaker 13 has to offer. My full-time job is FileMaker dev work, and it does amazing things.

AndyAtTheCroft

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
It's a database program... and it does a friggin' lot. Bento was a poor attempt at making an affordable version... and lacked a lot of features from its bigger brother.

I have to disagree. For its price and its target market Bento was brilliant. It gave you relational databases made really really easy. It was flexible and incredibly easy to use. It lacked features of FileMaker Pro, but they were ones that many people can live without.

I have to say, though, that ditching Bento without a clear, simple, effective means of importing Bento databases into FMP is simply stupid. It gives the impression that FileMaker's software engineers are simply not competent enough to get the job done. Scarcely an advert for a company wanting to sell its software at £220 a throw

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe you should wait and see what FileMaker 13 has to offer. My full-time job is FileMaker dev work, and it does amazing things.

Don't get me wrong, I like Filemaker and have built a very complex custom HR management and productivity tracking tool for the small company where I work. I do look forward to FMP 13.

It's that particular issue that bothers me. The client is free on iOS, but it will cost you $299 per seat on a "traditional" Mac/PC because there's no client only version of FMP on these platforms. We don't need users to have scripting and layout editing abilities, why would we have to pay the same price to use it as a simple client? It would cost the same price to get an iPad mini (with the free FMP iOS client) for each user!

Last edited:

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Another eye strain 'upgrade' from Apple

Great - if that screen shot is indicative of the 'upgrade' then they've made FMP a difficult to read database app based on their difficult to read IOS7 UI - wonderful! :(
A load of garish white and ultra thin low contrast fonts - whoopee!
Another master stroke by Apple who seem to be losing their way by implementing change for changes sake in most of their recent products.
I can get around the difficult to read grey on grey UI in Mac OSX by using the excellent Sideeffects app (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43078/sideeffects), but they are needlessly alienating a lot of users (like me) who are Apple fans (and Filemaker Pro users), with their obsession of making everything they produce more and more difficult to see and consequently harder to use and navigate.
Needless to say I'll be sticking with FMP v11.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
FileMaker Pro is already a best of breed product that I wouldn't hesitate recommending to anyone who needs to take advantage of these powerful technologies. There's really nothing else like it in the marketplace and it's a big driver of Mac adoption in the enterprise.

I'm sure FileMaker Pro 13 will be an exceptional product. I can't wait to upgrade.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
A self running 'runtime' application is a local database. I guess you can move the data to an external shared database, but that complicates thing and adds some overhead. It also means that you can't do quick bug fixes and add features without having everyone download a new version of the runtime.

For a simple solution it might do, but a runtime is simply not the same thing as connecting to a remote database.

What I'm asking for is simply the equivalent of Filemaker Go on iOS, a free viewer/editor that can connect to remote databases, but for Mac/PC.

----------

I don't think you're allowed to install a single license on multiple computers, it's just that the copy protection can't detect it until you share a database over the network.

I'm not complaining about the price overall, but it would make sense to make a free client much like they did on iOS, or better volume pricing for small businesses.

Not true. The FileMaker license is floating. You only buy as many SIMULTANEOUS licenses as needed. If you have 20 employees but only 10 will ever be logged in at once, you buy 10 licenses.

----------

Sadly Bento had a few features that FileMaker lacks too. Like calendar and contacts integration on osx

I agree that the lack of calendar integration is a short-coming. However, there are some great third party solutions. Zulu turns your FileMaker Server into a CalDAV server. It's awesome. And Subscribe generates read-only CalDAV calendars from FileMaker databases. There are plugins that allow you to sync with Outlook and Address Book as well.

Crispinhodges

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
These 'captures' are always interesting.

#1 You'd have to be stalking a home page for activity.

#2 You'd have to think that what you're looking at isn't supposed to be there.

Right now some guys from Apple are sitting back reading posts on AI and MR snickering at some guy who thinks he got lucky and screen captured some images.

Well Macrumors were right it got taken down. My reading was that they have a press release with an embargo on it so knew it was early

Crispinhodges

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
I'm with you on that, requiring one license per computer makes FMP very expensive for a small business, but with your specific use case you could use Instant Web Publishing to make the database available to multiple computers from a single copy of Filemaker.

Edit: At least what Apple/Filemaker should do is have a free FMP database viewer/editor application (without development abilities) that runs on Macs/PCs much like Filemaker Go on iOS. It's pretty ridiculous to be forced to pay $299 to have the dev. version installed on a workstation that will be only used to do some minimal viewing and editing.

Of course most users just enter data and so don't need the programming ability of FMP. So this proposed change would dramatically cut their income while increasing their costs slightly as they now need to support an extra version. This would increase the initial entry costs as the full version would need to be increased in price to compensate to many times the current price.

BTW I see from the info in this article that they have increased their prices by 10% ish in the UK and even more for the education version. How can they justify this?

woodlandtrek

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
It's for real now: http://www.filemaker.com/

Looks like many of you got your wish for a free client (your browswer), but you will have to pay the $900 extra for the server to accept those connections. At least that's how I'm reading it.

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
Bento a good solution

The big problem with Bento was that, as I understood, it was not compatible with FileMaker DBs. Our address book, mailing lists, label formats and such is in FileMaker Pro 5. Bento would have required us to reenter and recreate everything. Right now I'm keeping one system running Snow Leopard ONLY so I can run FMP5 under Rosetta. I wish SOMEBODY would make a basic FM compatible DB program. Even if I lost our formats, I can redo them. What I don't want to do is enter all the names and addresses again.

For some situations, including 3 flat databases I maintain, Bento is the ideal solution, especially in its easy of set-up of a database and item view template. It's a real bummer that FM is discontinuing Bento entirely.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I have to disagree. For its price and its target market Bento was brilliant. It gave you relational databases made really really easy. It was flexible and incredibly easy to use. It lacked features of FileMaker Pro, but they were ones that many people can live without.

I have to say, though, that ditching Bento without a clear, simple, effective means of importing Bento databases into FMP is simply stupid. It gives the impression that FileMaker's software engineers are simply not competent enough to get the job done. Scarcely an advert for a company wanting to sell its software at £220 a throw
Bento data is easily imported into FileMaker... there's an option to import Bento data. I haven't had any issues. It just sucks having to reteach my folks to do FileMaker for their customer database because Bento was pretty straightforward and easy for them. I'm a little pissed off that they've chosen to discontinue it. Even though I prefer FMP... there was a definitely need for a simpler version.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I can't even export my project to other databases, FM-pro uses some special formats that cant be exported easily. FM-pro in its basics sucks but its the only database runtime maker i could handle as a non professional.

Does this mean that one cannot set up an export to create flat files suitable for importing into another application?!

I had assorted uses for Bento, and am very annoyed it's not going be supported any more. My requirements for it were not complex enough to require Filemaker. Now I look at FM licensing requirements and see this annual renewal stuff and the pricetags (which it was annoying even to get their webiste to DIVUJLGE for God's sake), and I just think... . no way. No way!

I don't know what to do. Look around for affordable relational database apps and try their demos I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.