Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While there have been a multitude of iPhone 6 mockups and case leaks, actual parts said to be from the iPhone 6 have thus far been in short supply. We've seen what might be the front panel of the device along with possible batteries and a manufacturing mold used for creating the phone's chassis.

What is said to be a backlight panel for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 has now appeared on Chinese Twitter-like site Weibo (via Nowhereelse.fr) [Google Translation]. There is no way to verify the legitimacy of the images, but the backlight design does appear similar to the backlight panel of the iPhone 5s and the 5c, with a few small differences -- the connector has been relocated and the pins themselves have a different design.

backlightpanel.jpg
Little new information about the iPhone 6 can be gleaned from the images, legitimate or not, but previous rumors have suggested that Apple will take advantage of advancements in LED backlighting technology to shift to thinner components for the iPhone 6, shrinking the thickness of the device considerably. Current rumors and design schematics have suggested the iPhone 6 might be between 6 and 7mm thick, considerably thinner than the existing 7.6mm iPhone 5s.

While today's part appears to be for the 4.7-inch iPhone, Apple is expected to release the iPhone in two sizes: the aforementioned 4.7-inch version and a larger 5.5-inch version. While the 4.7-inch iPhone is expected to launch in the fall, possibly as early as September, the 5.5-inch version has reportedly experienced production issues that may push its launch back several months.

backpanel2.jpg
Along with new backlighting technology that may result in a thinner design, the iPhone 6 is also expected to feature an A8 processor, camera improvements, and 802.11ac WiFi.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 6 Backlight Panel Depicted in New Photos

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yawn - these leaks are ruining it all for us:mad:

It was no different for the 5 or 5s. Most people tend to eat up these rumors.

I'm not seeing much on this specific news story that does much for me.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Little new information about the iPhone 6 can be gleaned from the images, legitimate or not

So then I can assume that strange, reddish, blurred thing isn't anything significant like a backplate or something.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So then I can assume that strange, reddish, blurred thing isn't anything significant like a backplate or something.

It appears to be the protective sticker that goes on the back of the component during the assembly process. Take a look at the tab at the top of the stack of them, then the tab sticking out from the top of the component in the guys hand, they seem to line up.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
I don't know what people are expecting visiting a website with a name that ends in rumors. Posting leaks is a job well done by site staff, i don't understand all the frustration every time a new article comes up that talks about the iPhone 6, it's been that way a long time ago, get used to it. :rolleyes:

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Does any know what the anticipated dimensions of the 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens (not the phones' dimensions, but the actual working screen sizes) are supposed to be? Thanks in advance.

WrQth

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Does any know what the anticipated dimensions of the 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens (not the phones' dimensions, but the actual working screen sizes) are supposed to be? Thanks in advance.

My guess would be 4.7" and 5.5" since those are the rumored screen sizes. Separate rumors refer to the size of the phone which would naturally have to be larger diagonally than the screens.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
My guess would be 4.7" and 5.5" since those are the rumored screen sizes. Separate rumors refer to the size of the phone which would naturally have to be larger diagonally than the screens.

Yeah, thanks, but I'm referring to actual rumored dimensions, like width x height...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.