Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm not knocking the tech involved, that is somewhat interesting, but as a game (and a very expensive one at that), it seems like something that would get boring after about 5 minutes. At least it takes less storage space than our old slot tracks did when you box them up in the attic. More of a tech demo than a product to me.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
As for the question of what my son will or won't play with, I would not put this in the same category as Lego Mindstorm, home electronics test boards, home chemistry sets, etc. This is a game, a toy. It's not there for learning to program. What I was saying is that I'd rather my son, if he's going to play a game, play with something that is physical, not just something on a computer screen. I'm sure he'll be spending quite enough time in his life staring at a screen. If there's a game that allows him to have the fun of playing with the electronic device while still keeping him in the "real world", I can definitely see an advantage to that.

All of that said, the price is too high for me, at this point. Perhaps in the future, when their tech ages and becomes less expensive, the prices will drop so that it will be less of an upper-middle class + toy...

Sorry if I sounded imposing, as per what the other post had assumed. That was not my intension at all. Since you made the comment about how you'd like you kid to play with this rather than video game, I merely assumed you want him to do something that's both fun and educational (in the tech aspect). Again, didn't mean to impose, I simply believe all kids have the potential and should be taught to know science and math. They can however, dislike the subjects, but at least not fear the subjects and reject them as useless.

Once again, sorry if I sounded imposing. It is your kid after all, you do what you see fit.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This seems a lot like a hybrid car - you took two things that worked fine alone and merged them together to make something that inherited the flaws of both with little to show for it.

Gas engine + electric engine = ... the sum of the parts. You have the underwhelming power of a small electric engine with the inconveniences of maintaining a gas engine.

McLaren P1 and Porsche 918!

Yep, and even speculation about the next gen GTR (R36).

I realize the point of ArtOfWarfare's post, but hybrid performance cars are better than just the sum of the parts. Instant TQ from the electric motors (some are generating 250HP from _just_ the electric subsystem), assisted cruising for better MPG, batteries use inertia charging so the electric portion is transparent. You basically just operate them as a gas vehicle and get a better overall experience vs. a gas only solution. :cool:

slierow

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
This. Am I missing something here on what goes into the tracks? They just look like a sheet of plastic with the pattern of a track printed on them. Are they more than that?

Otherwise the cars seem a little on the pricy side, but not completely outrageous. I do agree that people around here do tend to act as if someone just asked them to sell their kidney if something costs more than $20.

The track is a multi-layered rubber-ish material with the middle layer containing infrared coating that lets the cars know their position, as well as the position of the other cars, on the track.

http://anki.com/blog/beneath-track

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wouldn't it be better to make the material coded into a grid, then allow the user to place track(s) anywhere they want on the surface? Or at least mass-produce the base as a grid and have Anki assemble the track coating onto it? That way you don't need a custom layout and manufacturing process for each track, you make one base and can put any shape track you want on it. The only way I can see the advantage to this method is if they in the future implement elevated portions of the track (in this case, having the flexible sensors embedded in the track would be better).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
A review if you are an owner would be appreciated.

Fun factor, was it worth the cost to you, do the cars follow your input, etc. etc.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
A review if you are an owner would be appreciated.

Fun factor, was it worth the cost to you, do the cars follow your input, etc. etc.

Well i gave in and bought it today, got the Starter Pack, an extra map, and 2 extra cars, so £330 in total, or just over $500 in US money.

I have spent all evening playing it, its great fun and very different. Whilst you can play with the AI its much more fun with mates and a few beers. The App does seem to eat battery, even in the iPhone 6. Just had to take short breaks every so often for the cars to recharge but that does not take that long.

If you ever played 'Mashed' on the original Xbox, PS2 or PC you should love this as its like a real life version of it.

Its a shame they cannot price it at £99 for the starter pack as i think more would bite at that price point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.