Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocanlover163

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hi Guys,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't really know where to post.

So my current setup is a rMBP and a Thunderbolt display that I work off of. I'm happy with my rMBP, but I was thinking maybe it would be possible to sell my Thunderbolt Display and buy a used Mac Mini + 27" display, or maybe a used 27" iMac for around the same price I sell my TBD. What options do you think I have to get with selling it?

I connect my computer to the TBD quite a bit throughout the day, so I figured it would just be easier to have a computer designated for music and web surfing, and my laptop for my work.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hi Guys,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't really know where to post.

So my current setup is a rMBP and a Thunderbolt display that I work off of. I'm happy with my rMBP, but I was thinking maybe it would be possible to sell my Thunderbolt Display and buy a used Mac Mini + 27" display, or maybe a used 27" iMac for around the same price I sell my TBD. What options do you think I have to get with selling it?

I connect my computer to the TBD quite a bit throughout the day, so I figured it would just be easier to have a computer designated for music and web surfing, and my laptop for my work.

When you say "a used Mac Mini + 27inch display", you mean a display other than the TBD obviously? If you've decided to go the route of a separate computer (desktop) for "music and web surfing", I'd say go ahead and sell that TBD, but hold off on purchasing that used iMac or Mini+display, at the very least until after WWDC, or possibly late summer.

When new hardware comes on the scene, used equipment will go down somewhat, and there'll be deals to be had in the refurb store as well. Which is another reason to sell that TBD now, before a possible refresh/redesign in the near future.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I was thinking maybe it would be possible to sell my Thunderbolt Display and buy a used Mac Mini + 27" display

Remember that the cheapest 27" displays are only 1920x1080 resolution compared to the Thunderbolt Display's 2560x1440, and really aren't comparable.

There are decent 1440p displays that still cost a lot less than the Apple one (e.g. the Dell Ultrasharp 2713) and I dare say you could get one with the proceeds of selling your TBD, but whether you'd still have enough change to buy a half-decent Mac Mini is another question.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Hi Guys,

The display is going to get you around $600 assuming its in very good condition. 27" iMacs are in the $900-$1,000 region for 4 year old models. The 27" Korean displays on eBay are $350+, the US ones are over $400.

Unless you put money in, then you aren't likely to get a better computing experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.