Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
I have the Boom app on my Macbook, and it makes a noticeable difference in my music, using both the internal speakers and my Beats Pill 2. Is there something similar for the iPhone? I don't see Boom for iOS yet.... Thanks in advance!

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
A non jail-broken iOS app doesn't have the ability to modify a core function like that.

Depending on what your trying to play, there may be a media-player app that has a gain-boost option in it. I don't use any third party player apps, but on Mac OS I've used VLC for a little extra boost when Boom couldn't be installed.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Depending on what your trying to play, there may be a media-player app that has a gain-boost option in it. I don't use any third party player apps, but on Mac OS I've used VLC for a little extra boost when Boom couldn't be installed.

Boom is fine on my Macbook, just hoping to find something that provides the same sound in my bluetooth speaker from my iPhone... Sigh. Thanks.

christianboyce

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Boom for iOS is out and available on the App Store. I have it installed here and like it a lot. The app has a free trial.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
I use CanOpener. It doesn't do exactly what Boom does, but it will help.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/canopener-for-headphones/id690996855?mt=8

looks like this hasn't been updated in a while. does it still work with the latest ios? is it system-wide? like will the settings be universal for all music apps?

also, how is this compared to Boom? are either of them able to affect all music apps including streaming like Spotify, Apple Music, and Youtube Music? thanks!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
looks like this hasn't been updated in a while. does it still work with the latest ios? is it system-wide? like will the settings be universal for all music apps?

also, how is this compared to Boom? are either of them able to affect all music apps including streaming like Spotify, Apple Music, and Youtube Music? thanks!

I had problems using it on iOS 9. I'd turn off the EQ and it'd sound off (like compared to how it would usually sound if it was just flat) and I'd have to restart the device. So I can't recommend it at this point.

Spotify and Apple Music aren't supported in Boom at the moment, but they're working on it apparently.

And no, neither work system-wide.

Personally, I don't really like the way Boom displays the library.

Reactions: radiohead14

Deeshawn

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2016
Jamestown
I've downloaded and played with the app. I have to say that it does what it advertises pretty well. But yes, at this point, it doesn't support streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music but the devs claim they are working on it. But for local tracks that are stored on the device, Boom for iOS blows away most of the other music player apps i've used.

The Surround sound thing is seriously a step up from the usual and the presets are a good bonus. To be honest, i can't wait for the future updates that should take the app to the next level. As of now, i'm really impressed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.