Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benvw99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2014
Selby, SD
Hi.

I have a performa 6360 with the optional Ethernet card installed. It is running System 7, 7.5.3 to be exact.

This computer has few things installed other than core files.

Now, since I saw it had an Ethernet port, I kinda wanted to reintroduce it to the web, and ungrade it to 9.2.2. The problem is: whenever I try to connect it to the internet, the only options are dial up. No LAN or Ethernet option.

If anyone could guide me on how to setup Ethernet, that would be great.

Here are some pics if it helps at all.

And sorry to a certain user on here who wanted to buy this, I have decided not to sell at the moment.

Here are some random pics.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Do you know if the Ethernet card is OEM? Is is running the same OS that it did when the Ethernet card was last working? OS 9.2(.2) cannot run on that machine, even with OS 9 Helper. The best you'll get is 9.1.

benvw99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2014
Selby, SD
Yes I believe the Ethernet is OEM.

I don't think that this computers os has ever been changed.

And 9.1 is fine. Just as long as its not System 7.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What CPU speed is that? Does the card show up in System Profiler? Are you willing to remove the logicboard to post a photo of the Ethernet card (remove the rear plastic panel, two screws, pull out board, take picture, reverse process)?

benvw99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2014
Selby, SD
Uhh is there a system profiler in system 7? Because I can't find one.

I will try to remove the logic board, but maybe tomorrow.

Maybe I should focus on updating to 9.1 first?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think there's something like it in 7.5. I know 7.6 has it and it's called Apple System Profiler. By default it is in the Apple Menu, should be the first or second item. It's icon is a magnifying glass over an old compact Mac. I think it is in the Applications or Apple Extras folder. OS 9.1 may fix the Ethernet, but you'd have to first locate an OS 9 or 9.1 retail disc for it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
IIRC, System 7 has a TCP/IP Control Panel. Is that CP disabled? That's where you'd set the DHCP and DNS settings for the Mac.

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Long ago I had an Ethernet system installed in my Performa 6360 and decided to remove it to install a USB card.

The web performance was awful and painfully slow. Many web sites would not even load correctly. Surfing was no fun.

I decided to throw out that card and installed a USB card which is far more usefull since it allows me to increase my storage space.

Can't recall what Ethernet card it was because it was an even swap with a friend.

benvw99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2014
Selby, SD
Yeah I'm gonna put it aside for now. Got a new emac to play with and 10.4 to install on two imac g3s, 7 powermac g4s, and possibly an ibook.

Might revive this thread later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.