Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 24, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Now Preventing Updates and Reinstallation of Refunded Apps

Michael Simmons of Flexibits noted earlier today that the App Store no longer allows customers to reinstall or update refunded App Store apps.

An error message now notifies users when they try:
Quote:
Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded and cancelled.
While Apple has never had an automatic way to get refunds for apps, Apple does allow users to "Report a Problem" on their purchases and options include ways to get a refund.

In the past, customers were allowed to continue updating and reinstalling apps even if they were given a refund on the price of the app. This new functionality has also been extended to the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Now Preventing Updates and Reinstallation of Refunded Apps
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 07:19 PM   #2
barefootman
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to barefootman Send a message via Yahoo to barefootman Send a message via Skype™ to barefootman
That's reasonable. I don't see how anybody can have an issue with this.
barefootman is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 07:22 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Should be a no-brainer
MacDawg is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 07:22 PM   #4
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Strange this wasn't already the case.
tevion5 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 07:25 PM   #5
rorschach
macrumors 68000

No reason to object to this.
rorschach is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 07:29 PM   #6
D.T.
macrumors 68030

I’m sure _some_ people will squawk about this. I suspect they’ll be the same folks I see who eat the entire meal first, then complain and ask for their money back
Old May 24, 2014, 07:38 PM   #7
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I’m sure _some_ people will squawk about this. I suspect they’ll be the same folks I see who eat the entire meal first, then complain and ask for their money back
I knew about this and I’ll admit it was nice to have it. I bought a fairly expensive navigation app a couple of years ago and I asked for a refund as it only kept crashing. I discovered that I was still able to use and update it, even though I could not download it again (iCloud didn’t exist back then). It’s still on my hard drive and I did use it occasionally for a while, as the crashes were addressed at some point.

It surprises me that Apple didn’t address this earlier. There is some serious potential for abuse and I’m glad that it’s fixed now.
KALLT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 07:52 PM   #8
rsxmachine
macrumors regular

This is not new, apple implemented this late last year. I guess not many people try it.
rsxmachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 08:01 PM   #9
RebornProphet
macrumors 6502

It is definitely new.

My little one purchased 1 Password, while on sale, after I had signed in and bought the Wolf Among Us episode 2 and 3.

I had been reading reviews on it and left my device unattended (my error). Apple refunded me and I deleted the app.

Even after the refund if I went to the App Store it showed the cloud download icon in place of the price ... now though it shows the price again.

No issue with it.
RebornProphet is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 08:05 PM   #10
rsxmachine
macrumors regular

Did you try re downloading and installing it?

Earlier this year I got a refund and had left the app on my phone not thinking about it. When there was an update this is the error I got. I deleted the app at the time and tried reinstalling and got same error. This happened to one of my friends as well. I promise it's not brand new
rsxmachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 08:07 PM   #11
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

If you're refunded, you shouldn't get updates. If you want updates, pay.

No brainer
dannyyankou is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 08:08 PM   #12
richwoodrocket
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootman View Post
That's reasonable. I don't see how anybody can have an issue with this.

Agree. People that are dishonest make these things happen.
Old May 24, 2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I've been getting that error with stuff I HAVE paid for.
Old May 24, 2014, 08:11 PM   #14
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

I'm kinda surprised this was actually possible before today. Whoever would even attempt that…..?
I mean you get a refund for a reason. Imagine trying that with a 'brick-and-mortar' store.

Last edited by macs4nw; May 24, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 08:43 PM   #15
Shashibiya
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I've been getting that error with stuff I HAVE paid for.
Same here. Contacted the developer who replied that many of their customers are in the same situation, and there is nothing they can do about it until Apple fixes it themselves.
Shashibiya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 10:01 PM   #16
iosquattro
macrumors newbie

The problem is not that your refunded apps won't get updated. The problem is if you ever change your mind and want to buy that app again you cannot. You will get this error upon trying to repurchase. I've been going back and forth with Apple about this for a couple weeks now. A few months back I requested a refund on an app that crashed continuously. Months later the dev fixed the issue and I decided to legitimately purchase the app again. Nope. Get this message. So, this is the issue.
iosquattro is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 10:01 PM   #17
Bearxor
macrumors 6502

Does this mean that the folks who bitched and moaned about FCPX and got a refund but could still download and use it are now SOL?
Bearxor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 11:24 PM   #18
JustinePaula
macrumors regular

I hope those that got refunds from FCP X are banned from using any Apple product related to video in the future, I bought FCP X at the time it came out, and I was one of those wanting a refund, I stuck with it, did my time, and now I cannot see a better product than FCP X....

If they had a refund and it works, if I was Mr T Cook, I would link the refunded software to a in app purchase system and make them pay back through paid updates...Software free, functionally paid!!
JustinePaula is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 12:14 AM   #19
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Like others have echoed, this seems to be no-brainer. However, reading that pop up message, I noticed it said something about apps purchased on a different AppleID. I'm guilty of (and I know others are) "sharing" apps, i.e. installing an app on another device using the AppleID that was used for purchasing. Seems like this won't allow that anymore.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 12:29 AM   #20
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

You people assume too much.

If people wanted to steal FCP in the first place, they would just pirate it. The majority of people who would do such a thing don't have $300 in their bank accounts lying around to buy it and then demand a refund.

And honestly, the people who bought it had the right to complain. It's professional software that went bad for people that relied on it as a daily work tool. It was more than just bugs, and it caused a lot of people to look at other options.

It wasn't just some message board that got angry about it either.

----

Considering that my iOS purchases are taking forever to actually be billed to my PayPal at the moment, I think this is the sign of refunds coming to the App Store. It'd be interesting to see how they handle it.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:54 AM   #21
Snowy_River
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Snowy_River Send a message via Yahoo to Snowy_River
Quote:
Originally Posted by iosquattro View Post
The problem is not that your refunded apps won't get updated. The problem is if you ever change your mind and want to buy that app again you cannot. You will get this error upon trying to repurchase. I've been going back and forth with Apple about this for a couple weeks now. A few months back I requested a refund on an app that crashed continuously. Months later the dev fixed the issue and I decided to legitimately purchase the app again. Nope. Get this message. So, this is the issue.
This is the kind of situation that I thought of as soon as I saw this. Not the "refund then reinstall" suedo piracy that everyone else seems to be concerned with. If the ban is indefinite, then that means that the decision can never be reversed, regardless of changes in the situation.

This needs to be addressed. Buy once, dislike and get a refund. If you choose to buy again, no refund will be available.
Snowy_River is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 01:12 AM   #22
PoseMotion
macrumors newbie

Finally! Apple is protecting us developers from piracy!

There's been a couple of times where an app was purchased, the buyer left a bogus review on why the app supposedly didn't work , then to see the app was refunded. I'm sure they kept using it, as there was nothing wrong with it to begin with.

This makes my day.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy_River View Post
This needs to be addressed. Buy once, dislike and get a refund. If you choose to buy again, no refund will be available.
I agree with that.
Old May 25, 2014, 01:15 AM   #23
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Hmmm, that's interesting. Maybe Apple was testing this when I tried to update my apps (none of which I had claimed a refund of) couple of weeks ago.
Old May 25, 2014, 02:05 AM   #24
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

I'm surprised this wasn't there the first second apple gave the first refund. It should have been
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 03:14 AM   #25
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

This is fine, now give people a refund period after they buy an app. I know within a few minutes if an app is bad. So even a 60 min refund window would be great.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion