Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
So i got a call from the VZW exec office yesterday because I complained months ago. It seems that they only called me AFTER I paid the ETF. They tried to "win" me back by offering me 2 GB data unlimited talk and text for $60 a month. I told them that I get 3 GB data LTE, unlimited talk and text, and 1 gb data a month for $60. The rep the proceeded to tell me that if I go over the 2gb its only another $10 so its not much off. she also told me that she could offer me $30 a month for my tablet. I told her that is way to much money for me right now. Her excuse was well you will be better off. It seems VZW is just selling that you will be better off with us even if you can't afford it.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
$30 a month for a tablet is a ripoff. You're talking $90 a month at least. That's just $10 less than the same amount of data on a More Everything plan. $40 for your phone, $10 for the tablet, and $50 for a 2gb data bucket. You might even save if you bring your own device and get more data.

Seems like Verizon and AT&T are making their individual plans not worth it to anyone. T-Mobile is tens of dollars less.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
for the rep to tell me that its just another $10 really bothered me. I told her I am on a tight budget because I have student loans starting soon. If my money situation does change when i get a better job I might not even go back to them at this point. one because their customer service is horrible and two I can get more for less. even if i move up to the 5gb LTE I am still paying $50 less a month.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
for the rep to tell me that its just another $10 really bothered me. I told her I am on a tight budget because I have student loans starting soon. If my money situation does change when i get a better job I might not even go back to them at this point. one because their customer service is horrible and two I can get more for less. even if i move up to the 5gb LTE I am still paying $50 less a month.

Verizon is only worth it if you or your family can afford it. If my parents cut me loose when I graduate, I'm taking the hit in service and going with T-Mobile. I wouldn't take Verizon up on their offer. Their market isn't young people just starting their careers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's typical, that occurred to me when I jumped over to ATT a few years ago, (I have since moved back to vzw) by the same token when I went back to VZW, ATT did the same thing after I left them.

They're just trying to win back customers though for the first time in a while, VZW is losing customers.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Verizon is only worth it if you or your family can afford it. If my parents cut me loose when I graduate, I'm taking the hit in service and going with T-Mobile. I wouldn't take Verizon up on their offer. Their market isn't young people just starting their careers.

For me at least I didn't take a hit in service at all when I went to T-Mobile. I am in the NYC metro area and my service has been compare able or better then VZW. The speeds are faster and more reliable then VZW was. I get better call quality then I did. I loose tmo in the same dead spots as I did with VZW but also gained some dead spots back. When I start my career soon if I'm not required to travel a lot I'm staying with tmobile

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Vzw fail...

Vzw used to offers subsidized plan on tablets back when I had my Xoom. When my contract ran out I got an email that said I was due for an upgrade. I thought it would be a great time to get an iPad. I called them to find out they didn't offer subsidized plans on tablets any longer. The women tried to sell me a Samsung Note on a subsidized plan for like 60 dollars more because hey, the Note is kind of like a tablet right :rolleyes: .

Thinking about it I realized I didn't really need it anyway and was paying it because it was only 30 a month. My upgrade was to cancel the plan altogether. :)

I think vzw should offer more or better incentive to remain a customer.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think vzw should offer more or better incentive to remain a customer.
I agree and hopefully with the increased competition we'll see some incentives but I'm not going to hold my breath just yet on seeing them

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Even though I'm grandfathered on a VZW plan, I would jump to tmobile in a second, if not that I do a lot of travelling and I can't be worried about cell phone service.

To me it's coverage vs price, which is what VZW sells anyway.

If tmobile meets your coverage needs they are the hot ticket with great pricing.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
For me at least I didn't take a hit in service at all when I went to T-Mobile. I am in the NYC metro area and my service has been compare able or better then VZW. The speeds are faster and more reliable then VZW was. I get better call quality then I did. I loose tmo in the same dead spots as I did with VZW but also gained some dead spots back. When I start my career soon if I'm not required to travel a lot I'm staying with tmobile

I'm outside of Kansas City. Their HSPA+ is improving, but there's still Edge in places. LTE is ok. I like that I get Verizon LTE in most places around here. Only drop to 3G on rare occasions. 1X is rare and usually inside concrete buildings or in a very crowded area.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Same here. I feel like I'm going to have to switch to T-Mobile after I graduate or have to leave my job. Paying $130 a month for my phone isn't worth it anymore (no more unlimited data, etc). Plus Verizon is just too expensive. I get my paycheck and majority of my money goes straight to Verizon.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Same here. I feel like I'm going to have to switch to T-Mobile after I graduate or have to leave my job. Paying $130 a month for my phone isn't worth it anymore (no more unlimited data, etc). Plus Verizon is just too expensive. I get my paycheck and majority of my money goes straight to Verizon.

I am getting more for about half the price now. I sure hope tmobile lets use keep the 1gb LTE for ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.