Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megadooomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
NJ (dreams of NYC)
Could someone recommend a very simple pixel/sprite editor for OSX that I could use to draw low-res sprites for games?

Something like the "Sprite Something" app for iPad? I have tried Photoshop/CS5, but its a real pain to create with and doesn't seem to be able to do very low-res, basic retro/pixel-block design.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
In PhotoShop, have you tried just creating the document with a very low resolution, say like 15ppi, instead of the usual 72? Then you can use the pencil tool to easily just fill in a pixel at a time.

I apologize though, I don't know of any other programs to do that. I'm sure something exists, though.

jW

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Pixen-free
Paintbrush-free
sketchbook exprees free

I even got ms paint to work using wine but there's no copy/paste
and its not an easy install

Personally I just want ms paint but a mac version :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Photoshop is terrible for pixel art. The right mouse button contextual menu slows things down - though it is great for alpha channels and scaling without filters.

For pure pixel art I use the art editor in a PC app called MMF2. Other pixel artist buddies used to use Graphics Gale, I believe that used to be the standard.

Unfortunately these are all PC only. Though I imagine they could be emulated under OSX just fine.

mariogt

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Updating this thread after 7 years!

I have ported the original PikoPixel to a Universal Binary (Intel and Apple Silicon Native App)

T
his project is on my Github repository, where you can download the 1.5b release and all the source code. If you are a programmer you can help me to add new features, fix bugs, and modernize the code. Still are some API calls to update, and I have to find a method to update the really old NIB interface files to XIB files.

You can get PikoPixelM1 from here:

https://github.com/mariogt/PikoPixelM1

pikopixel-icon.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.