Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
For starters I'd like to recognise that belonging to this forum does indicate a certain affinity for tech and that most members here are willing to embrace innovation and off-the-wall ideas.

However, what do you guys think about Google Glass? Or specifically "Glass-holes"?

Glass itself is interesting enough, and just to emphasise: I don't necessarily oppose it.

What really grinds my gears are users who feel that that are pioneers or ushering in the holy grail of technology, and that even passive opposition makes one a luddite.

I read a post on gawker this morning that got to me:

Example: http://valleywag.gawker.com/gl*******s-use-google-to-destroy-a-restaurants-rating-1580779355

A customer is asked to remove her Google Glass while eating at the request of patrons who feel uncomfortable at the thought of being recorded. I admit that it is debatable whether or not that concern is justifiable, though the reaction was uncalled for. Said customer leaves the restaurant, trashes it online and directs her thousand plus following on Google+ (people actually use this?) to do the same. They comply and as a result the rating of said restaurant falls.

The self entitlement is astonishing. It is genuinely rage inducing to think that these glass holes feel self righteous in their actions. Behaviour like this puts them firmly in the Prius camp.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Even google recognizes this and tries to provide direction in when its permitted to wear google glass and when its not.

I think in general this type of wearables could potentially alter how we interact with society and right now society is not sure how to respond when people are wearing them. What makes it worse is the type of people who wear them. They're not your typical joe six-pack because of the price and so the users of google glass are their own worst enemy.

If google glass takes off, I think we'll see the culture relax a little more about them but also vet out when its permissible to wear/use them.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
IMHO the term "glass-hole" seems appropriate.

I personally witnessed a near fight in a restaurant when a Glass wearer walk into a Mens bathroom with and it look like he was filming. Another patron spoke up loudly and the Glass wearer stormed out in a huff. It was witnessed by everyone in the restaurant because all personal conversations stopped and like the movies everyone was just staring and silent. This is why the term "glass-hole" was coined.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
If google glass takes off, I think we'll see the culture relax a little more about them but also vet out when its permissible to wear/use them.

I may well be wrong about this, but I think Google Glass - and devices like it - are just a little too far over what people will tolerate in order to become mainstream.

I'll admit I find it more than a little discourteous when someone I'm dining with or otherwise (trying to) hold a conversation with, is constantly distracted by their smartphone: checking messages, etc. And wearable tech like Google Glass will just turn this up a thousandfold. To the point that even those less impatient and intolerant than me begin to find it aggravating.

A lot of people use the smartphones so they can "look busy and important" when they find themselves at a bar, coffee shop, or restaurant. They've taken the place of the cigarette as a marker of social coolness.

But a device like Google Glass, with its capacity to surreptitiously and continuously record sound and video doesn't mark the wearer as being "cool." It marks them as being a potentially pervy creep.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I may well be wrong about this, but I think Google Glass - and devices like it - are just a little too far over what people will tolerate in order to become mainstream.

I'll admit I find it more than a little discourteous when someone I'm dining with or otherwise (trying to) hold a conversation with, is constantly distracted by their smartphone: checking messages, etc. And wearable tech like Google Glass will just turn this up a thousandfold. To the point that even those less impatient and intolerant than me begin to find it aggravating.

A lot of people use the smartphones so they can "look busy and important" when they find themselves at a bar, coffee shop, or restaurant. They've taken the place of the cigarette as a marker of social coolness.

But a device like Google Glass, with its capacity to surreptitiously and continuously record sound and video doesn't mark the wearer as being "cool." It marks them as being a potentially pervy creep.

Very well said...I agree completely!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I saw that story the other day and it made me so mad. So childlike the way people responded. Just put it in your pocket while you're in the restaurant, and put it back on as you leave. You're not the exception just because you have $1,000 worth of tech on your face.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
To me this type of thread is indicative of an attitude Apple fans have towards tech that isn't Apple. Meaning if it isn't Apple tech, it's garbage. I've seen John Gruber call Glass wearers "*******s" on his website. That's uncalled for, and he should apologize.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
To me this type of thread is indicative of an attitude Apple fans have towards tech that isn't Apple. Meaning if it isn't Apple tech, it's garbage. I've seen John Gruber call Glass wearers "*******s" on his website. That's uncalled for, and he should apologize.

Google itself used the term Gl*******.

Be creepy or rude (aka, a “Gl*******”). Respect others and if they have questions about Glass don’t get snappy. Be polite and explain what Glass does and remember, a quick demo can go a long way. In places where cell phone cameras aren’t allowed, the same rules will apply to Glass. If you’re asked to turn your phone off, turn Glass off as well. Breaking the rules or being rude will not get businesses excited about Glass and will ruin it for other Explorers.

https://sites.google.com/site/glasscomms/glass-explorers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.