Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Today I came across this articles here on macrumors.com

"A leaked Intel roadmap for 28-watt chips appropriate for 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro With Intel's Broadwell chips launching near the end of this year however, it is possible that Apple could either choose to wait until next year to integrate Broadwell chips into the Retina MacBook Pro or launch updated models with slightly faster Haswell chips. Apple updated its standard models of the MacBook Air last month with a faster 1.4 GHz dual-core Intel i5 processor while cutting the price by $100".

Article Link: Intel CEO 'Guarantees' Broadwell Chips by This Holiday Season

Does that mean? The Broadwell Chips in the Retina Macbook 15 Inch will not see the light of the day before June-2015 is that what it is ? Gosh I have been waiting just for Apple to release Broadwell Chips in the rMBP so I can buy my first ever, first ever Apple Macbook in Life ! Man ! That sounds too Far ! What am I gonna do ? till all that time

Last edited:

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Does that mean? The Broadwell Chips in the Retina Macbook 15 Inch will not see the light of the day before June-2015 is that what it is ? Gosh I have been waiting just for Apple to release Broadwell Chips in the rMBP so I can buy my first ever, first ever Apple Macbook in Life ! Man ! That sounds too Far ! What am I gonna till all that time

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Haswell 15" Macbook Pro w/Retina. For most of us we will not notice the difference.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It means we have no idea when Apple will release an updated MBP with the Broadwell chipset. Intel has committed to having the chipset available before the end of the year during the holiday season. Its up to apple to either release a new laptop then or wait for some unspecified time period that is only known to them

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
im waiting for a maxwell based gpu since the power draw is way lower we might not have the hear the fans every other task

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Haswell 15" Macbook Pro w/Retina. For most of us we will not notice the difference.

OP - if you are always fantasizing about the newest processor you will never get a macbook. just buy the ME294LL/A. It's more computer than you'll ever need.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
According to newest raodmaps it is unlikely you will see a Broadwell 15" before 2015. It will probably not be June though. There is no yearly update cycle. Apple usually updates 1-3 months after a new chip is released from Intel (The Haswell update was a bit of an outlier with the Quad Core issues).

According to this and various rumors and news bits leading up to that there will be only GT2 dual cores showing up still in 2014. Everything GT3 (which Apple uses exclusively) and definitely all Quad cores will be coming in Q1 2015.
Late January to March 2015 is I think likely for refreshes.

You may see a Nvidia Maxwell update much sooner. Like anytime now. It is possible that this won't happen at all though. Should though. Could be a silent refresh.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
im waiting for a maxwell based gpu since the power draw is way lower we might not have the hear the fans every other task

Yup totally agree my friend. +50% boost in fps for the same TDP with 20nm Maxwell... I am excited!

To the other person... Maxwell + 20nm Is going to be awesome if Apple includes it!

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Everything GT3 (which Apple uses exclusively) and definitely all Quad cores will be coming in Q1 2015.
Late January to March 2015 is I think likely for refreshes.

So are you saying it will be Jan-March of 2015 ? Before Apple Introduces it in their rMBP.

I am not so much on the processing power it will bring but rather the GPU advancement that it will have without having the need of having a dedicated GPU which is I don't want.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Yes Apple should release their new 15" in that time frame.

I doubt GPU speed will be an epic improvement form Iris Pro. Iris Pro can handle pretty much anything outside very well of stuff that you'd want a workstation or good gaming GPU for. For anything that you wouldn't want Maxwell anyway, Iris Pro - as is - more than adequate.
The main difference will be the SoC Quad Core design which should offer battery life like the current 13" notebooks excluding what the display needs.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Yes Apple should release their new 15" in that time frame.

I doubt GPU speed will be an epic improvement form Iris Pro. Iris Pro can handle pretty much anything outside very well of stuff that you'd want a workstation or good gaming GPU for. For anything that you wouldn't want Maxwell anyway, Iris Pro - as is - more than adequate.
The main difference will be the SoC Quad Core design which should offer battery life like the current 13" notebooks excluding what the display needs.

With the Integrated GPU Architecture IRIS PRO took it to all together different level, Yes it is very powerful yes it is very capable of doing a lot of things....But I guess with the Broadwell Chip it would be a match to the current DGPU in the rMBP so that would be like the final blow in terms of IGPU advancement ever.

And I don't want a Dedicated GPU Machine Period !

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
With the Integrated GPU Architecture IRIS PRO took it to all together different level, Yes it is very powerful yes it is very capable of doing a lot of things....But I guess with the Broadwell Chip it would be a match to the current DGPU in the rMBP so that would be like the final blow in terms of IGPU advancement ever.

And I don't want a Dedicated GPU Machine Period !

Iris Pro 2 will be 40% faster than Iris Pro. Maxwell(GTX850M) is 100% faster than Iris Pro.

In the same power envelope. Remember that Apple disables Turbo Boost in those cards, thanks to what, they can lower down the power draw, and power envelope of the card, and keep it stable even in non-stock clocks.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Iris Pro 2 will be 40% faster than Iris Pro. Maxwell(GTX850M) is 100% faster than Iris Pro.

And when the Broadwell chips in the rMBP come out they will come along with the Iris Pro 2 IGPU right ?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Sure that is what he meant with Iris Pro 2.
Nobody knows what Intel will call it yet. The architecture is Gen8 vs Gen7 in current Haswell. It is only about 20% more execution units. The remaining 20% should come from the new architecture and/or different clock rates at 14nm.

I think for IGP performance it is only worth waiting on the 13" as that one will get Crystalwell and make a bigger performance jump.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011

I only hear the fans when playing a game or doing something equally intensive (rendering video or such.)

I have a late 2013 15" MBP with 750m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.