Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 26, 2014, 12:07 AM   #26
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

The thing that I like best about apple laptops is that it can dual-boot windows in case I need to run some windows software.

The other downside of this, if released, is that every program available for mac will not run anymore and will have to be redesigned for ARM. That means no MS Office, etc.
Freyqq is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:08 AM   #27
scottwaugh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Why not a big iPad with attached (or detachable) keyboard?
Hmmmn, intriguing thought. iPad Pro, which is an iOS laptop….they'd sell a ton and if this were Samsung they'd have laptop, desktop and camera with this on it, but its Apple and they just test and test things and unless they are fabulous they don't see the light of day.

It'd be very interesting, but I doubt Apple would do it…of course Apple isn't afraid to cannibalize their own products when they want to. Add file handling and it'd be very interesting.
scottwaugh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:11 AM   #28
Kariya
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
I really hope that this isn't true.
The same way you hoped the switch from PPC to Intel wasn't true?
Kariya is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:14 AM   #29
phoenix78
macrumors member

This would only work if its easy for developers to port their code to the arm based systems, and there was no performance degradation.

Nobody will pay apples prices to receive a weaker cpu, poorer performing software. Then we go back to the **** old days of ppc vs intel.

No thank you!
phoenix78 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:14 AM   #30
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kariya View Post
The same way you hoped the switch from PPC to Intel wasn't true?
PPC was an inferior platform, built by a small company and IBM. Intel is the undisputed market leader in chips.

Intel also sells an ~8 watt processor (Y class) that no one appears to be using. So that would fit just fine in a device like this.
Freyqq is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:16 AM   #31
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

It's hard to imagine it on their "Pro" machines, but why not for the consumer line? ARM procs are perfectly good for average computing tasks. With a little further evolution so they can handle occasional heavy-lifting, it could be a new way forward, just like Intel was. Imagine 24 hr battery life, thinner devices, etc. Plus Apple gets to control their CPU pipeline and not rely on Intel. If they manage it right, could be a very smart move.
DTphonehome is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:20 AM   #32
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyqq View Post
PPC was an inferior platform, built by a small company and IBM. Intel is the undisputed market leader in chips.

Intel also sells an ~8 watt processor (Y class) that no one appears to be using. So that would fit just fine in a device like this.
Wouldn't exactly call Motorola a "small company."
cmaier is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:21 AM   #33
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMHC View Post
Dual boot Windows RT BOOYAH!
THAT WOULD BE PRETTY KICK ASS WOULDNT IT?! Oh boy I am so exacited for this! But let's not forget the words
[QUOTE] we won't ship junk [QUOTE]
The Doctor11 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:22 AM   #34
Rad99004
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The thing that I like best about apple laptops is that it can dual-boot windows in case I need to run some windows software.

The other downside of this, if released, is that every program available for mac will not run anymore and will have to be redesigned for ARM. That means no MS Office, etc.
If its ARM based it will be able to run IOS apps and yes there is office for iPad already.

All I can say Apple bring it on; this is something I would buy.

Who knows there may even be a windows RT boot option.

Last edited by Rad99004; May 26, 2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Rad99004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:22 AM   #35
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
Wouldn't exactly call Motorola a "small company."
Compared to intel or IBM, they are tiny. They are even smaller now than they were then.
Freyqq is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:25 AM   #36
jasonefmonk
macrumors member

It's an understandable desire coming from Apple. They enjoy control in design and manufacturing, and waiting around for Intel probably doesn't make them happy.

However I'm really excited about the invigorated support for gaming on Mac (and Linux). The App Store and Steam are carrying popular titles with better ports every year. Windows gaming is also possible on an Intel Mac, but the ARM transition would interrupt all of this. Game players aren't their average consumer so I doubt it's much of a consideration, but it would still bum me out from this perspective.
jasonefmonk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:25 AM   #37
Rad99004
macrumors 6502

I would guess this is the real iPad PRO.
Rad99004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:25 AM   #38
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Compared to intel or IBM, they are tiny. They are even smaller now than they were then.
In 1997 Moto had $37B revenue. Intel had $75B revenue that year.

Intel's revenue that year was only $25B.

Numbers don't lie.
cmaier is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:26 AM   #39
ElZeus
macrumors regular

Intel just xxxx their pants. Maybe they are going to go with AMD's future APU's that have built in ARM cores instead of going with their own AX custom socs since they might not be powerful enough to drive the upcoming 4k displays.

Last edited by maflynn; May 27, 2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: profanity
ElZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:30 AM   #40
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
In 1997 Moto had $37B revenue. Intel had $75B revenue that year.

Intel's revenue that year was only $25B.

Numbers don't lie.
Apple switched to Intel in 2006-ish.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElZeus View Post
Intel just xxxx their pants. Maybe they are going to go with AMD's future APU's that have built in ARM cores instead of going with their own AX custom socs since they might not be powerful enough to drive the upcoming 4k displays.
At this point, Apple has easily enough resources to design their own chips if they go the ARM route. No need to work with AMD if they can do it in-house.

Last edited by maflynn; May 27, 2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: profanity in quote
Freyqq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:33 AM   #41
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

If I am apple. That notebook would run iOS.
Benjamins is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:34 AM   #42
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Apple switched to Intel in 2006-ish.

----------

At this point, Apple has easily enough resources to design their own chips if they go the ARM route. No need to work with AMD if they can do it in-house.
Fine. I used that date since that was when I started at Exponential. PowerPC was well underway by 1997.

In any event, in 2006:

IBM: $91B
Moto: $43B
Intel: $35B

Moto was still one of the biggest semiconductor companies, with revenues higher than Intel and a good percentage of IBM's. Calling Moto a small company in any relevant time frame is inaccurate.
cmaier is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:35 AM   #43
ckeck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to ckeck Send a message via AIM to ckeck
I came back to Apple after more than a decade of PCs specifically because of the adoption of Intel (x86) CPUs. If they switch architectures again, so will I.

It's cool, I only buy 5x the norm customer in hardware/software from Apple each year and refer in countless more customers consistently.
ckeck is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:36 AM   #44
jont-fu
macrumors regular

Didn't anyone else get interested in this: "a new keyboard that incorporates a large-format Magic Trackpad"..? I get the feeling that the separate trackpad area would be scrapped altogether, and the keyboard itself would be the trackpad area. That's actually a great idea for power users and ergonomics: you wouldn't need to move your hands away from the keyboard when using the trackpad. A bit like the red track-nub that used to be in Thinkpads.

I could imagine the new keyboard being more flush with the base and having an additional key for mouse button.
jont-fu is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:38 AM   #45
53kyle
macrumors 65816

How about a cheap macbook air, say 400-800 dollars, with a 7.9 to 9.7 inch touch screen and no keyboard or trackpad at all...oh wait...
 White iPad 3, 64 GB, T-Mobile;
53kyle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:42 AM   #46
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Oh boy. Let's fragment Macs along the lines of "these Macs can do Boot Camp, and these ones can't" and "These Macs can run Parallels/VMWare and these ones can't"
WestonHarvey1 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 12:45 AM   #47
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Oh boy. Let's fragment Macs along the lines of "these Macs can do Boot Camp, and these ones can't" and "These Macs can run Parallels/VMWare and these ones can't"
Everyone, calm your tits. Apple won't completely abandon x86. It's suicide. Instead, they will likely introduce an ARM product and name it something other than "mac"