Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Of course. :)

But I was just wondering how the spaceship would affect their existing Silicon Valley area employees.

Apple already has employees at One Infinite Loop... and that's just 2 miles from the spaceship. Plus there are even more employees scattered elsewhere in the area. Who will stay at One Infinite Loop and who will move into the spaceship?

Will the spaceship be the home for all these scattered employees? Or is it also for more employees?

Per this article... Apple is leasing space in Sunnyvale, 4 miles from One Infinite Loop for 1,450 employees. And they're leasing even more space in Santa Clara, 5 miles away for 1,200 employees.

But once the spaceship is complete... will the Sunnyvale and Santa Clara locations be closed? Or will they actually need to keep ALL these extra locations?

I'm just curious if Apple will populate One Infinite Loop and the spaceship and Sunnyvale and Santa Clara and wherever else they are.

Apple outgrew One Infinite Loop and that's why they've been leasing all this extra office space. I'm curious if the spaceship will finally house everyone in the area... or if they'll need even more space.

I'm studying psychology, and its answers like this, that make my day #

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Ahhh Sunnyvale.....

actors-calling-the-shots-for-trailer-park-boys-new-season1.jpg

commodorepet

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013
I'm studying psychology, and its answers like this, that make my day #

Why?

The dichotomy of Apple's actions is certainly confusing:
Original expressed intent with the new Campus - to get all employees in one place instead of spread out over lots of small offices. Anyone who lives in the area sees the Apple buses shuttling people between locations in Sunnyvale and Infinite loop.
Then there's the obvious problem that the new Campus doesn't even solve the problem, they still need more space.
At another level, there's an image thing, as a world class business we (outsiders) can't deny a company's desire to have bold new and clean offices fit for purpose, but as usual with Apple, nobody can fathom what that purpose is - they won't say directly.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Why?

The dichotomy of Apple's actions is certainly confusing:
Original expressed intent with the new Campus - to get all employees in one place instead of spread out over lots of small offices. Anyone who lives in the area sees the Apple buses shuttling people between locations in Sunnyvale and Infinite loop.
Then there's the obvious problem that the new Campus doesn't even solve the problem, they still need more space.
At another level, there's an image thing, as a world class business we (outsiders) can't deny a company's desire to have bold new and clean offices fit for purpose, but as usual with Apple, nobody can fathom what that purpose is - they won't say directly.

Why?..

You've got X ammount of buildings, you've got Y ammount of employees. No one knows what anyone is doing... So it really doesn't matter which seat they sit in, or where tbh.. they are all just nameless badge numbers... So for someone to write out a long post wondering who is going to be where and when is fascinating... I love reading these comments.. I'm surprised and bewildered on a daily basis..

rahhb.riley

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
a State
Why?..

You've got X ammount of buildings, you've got Y ammount of employees. No one knows what anyone is doing... So it really doesn't matter which seat they sit in, or where tbh.. they are all just nameless badge numbers... So for someone to write out a long post wondering who is going to be where and when is fascinating... I love reading these comments.. I'm surprised and bewildered on a daily basis..

I was frequently around people studying psychology that seemed to think they made interesting observations. Most of the time they sounded over inflated and up their own butt. Your response sounds more like that than any well thought out revelation. He may be long winded, but what he is questioning isn't that odd or without implication. Now that he mentions it, I'd like to know the answer my self. So :p to your half finished undergraduate "observation" that just sounds like a platform for you to let us know you're a psych major, in a field were anything less than a masters won't mean jack. As a psychology student, what does my response do for you? I'll compare it to my psychologist's and report the difference.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
I was frequently around people studying psychology that seemed to think they made interesting observations. Most of the time they sounded over inflated and up their own butt. Your response sounds more like that than any well thought out revelation. He may be long winded, but what he is questioning isn't that odd or without implication. Now that he mentions it, I'd like to know the answer my self. So :p to your half finished undergraduate "observation" that just sounds like a platform for you to let us know you're a psych major, in a field were anything less than a masters won't mean jack. As a psychology student, what does my response do for you? I'll compare it to my psychologist's and report the difference.

"half finished undergraduate".. brilliant, I love it....

Does :p mean you've just stuck your tongue out at me sir?.. that's made my day.. #

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Of course. :)

But I was just wondering how the spaceship would affect their existing Silicon Valley area employees.

Apple already has employees at One Infinite Loop... and that's just 2 miles from the spaceship. Plus there are even more employees scattered elsewhere in the area. Who will stay at One Infinite Loop and who will move into the spaceship?

Will the spaceship be the home for all these scattered employees? Or is it also for more employees?

Per this article... Apple is leasing space in Sunnyvale, 4 miles from One Infinite Loop for 1,450 employees. And they're leasing even more space in Santa Clara, 5 miles away for 1,200 employees.

But once the spaceship is complete... will the Sunnyvale and Santa Clara locations be closed? Or will they actually need to keep ALL these extra locations?

I'm just curious if Apple will populate One Infinite Loop and the spaceship and Sunnyvale and Santa Clara and wherever else they are.

Apple outgrew One Infinite Loop and that's why they've been leasing all this extra office space. I'm curious if the spaceship will finally house everyone in the area... or if they'll need even more space.

Great questions and maybe one day, if ever, will they be answered.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has agreed to lease a new seven-building campus in Sunnyvale, CA, where it could move up to 1,450 employees, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Image via San Jose Mercury News​
According to city records, Apple is currently only listed as a tenant in one of the buildings, but plans to occupy the six other buildings as well. Additionally, building permit applications have been filed for all seven of the buildings for "interior improvements", though those must be approved by Sunnyvale's city planning commission.

The new Sunnyvale campus is yet another part of Apple's plan for expansion, alongside a new two-building Santa Clara campus that would hold 1,200 employees and Apple's already iconic Spaceship Campus, which will hold around 14,000 employees and is currently under construction.

Article Link: Apple Planning Expansion to Seven-Building Sunnyvale Campus

What a nice use of wood, creating a roof that gives absolutely no shadow. Complete waste, all for the sake of looking cool. Style over function and all that.

----------

Someone is very bitter.. Sheesh.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What a nice use of wood, creating a roof that gives absolutely no shadow. Complete waste, all for the sake of looking cool. Style over function and all that.

----------

Someone is very bitter.. Sheesh.
Use of wood where?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.